Thread: Stone damage on unpainted wheel arches

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stone damage on unpainted wheel arches

Hi does anyone know if i can sand out really fine stone chips its more like they have been sand blasted on the wheel arches thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to provide us with some more information in order for us to help & some pics would also help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    you will need to provide us with some more information in order for us to help & some pics would also help.
    ^^^^ditto^^^^

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 at least that way we can see what we are up against

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there
    Tried to put some photos on but im not to handy with the computer. The plastic has at the frount 1/4 of the wheel arch flairs rear got covered in stone chips its a dx so they are black just wondering if i can sand them

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxie View Post
    Hi there
    Tried to put some photos on but im not to handy with the computer. The plastic has at the frount 1/4 of the wheel arch flairs rear got covered in stone chips its a dx so they are black just wondering if i can sand them
    I wouldn't if you don't intend on removing them, rubbing back the whole flair & repainting them. Otherwise it will stand out worse then the chips do now...IMO

As for the not being able to upload pic? I can help you with that if you like.
    Just PM me in the link at the bottom of this post.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by patch697; 15th September 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Foxie,

By your description i assume you have a series 4 or later GU (current shape) and you have the DX with the unpainted flares. If this is correct i would not touch them mate, it would be a disaster! It will show the rub marks really badly and you will never get it right mate, the plastic is straight out of the mould and onto your car.

all other models up from the DX have these colour coded and i dont really get why Nissan did this and thought it would be a real saving?? As per pic below.

If i was you i would get some adhesive clear contact, something like "light skin" from Super cheap and make some nice stick on protectors cut to suit for the time being and this will stop them getting much worse. Alternatively i would go to a paint shop and see about getting them colour coded to look a heap better than bare plastic, would guess less than $100 a flare??? Probably Much Much less given they have to mix the paint regardless.

Hope that helps mate.

Cheers

MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually i had this problem on the GQ during the build up in the Ride section, 1 was also cracked. I ended up bogging up the crack and then spraying both of them with primer filler and rubbing them back to as smooth as i could be bothered. As a short term fix i then sprayed both of them (off the car) using a Saturn Black pressure can from anywhere then put them back on the car. Temporary fix but came up a treat.

If yours is a late model as described above then you would have to spray all 4 but you could just do it in the back yard with Saturn black cheap as or go the colour coded at the paint shop mate for a really nice dress up.

Cheers
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.