Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question advice on a poorly Patrol

Hey All,
    We bought a patrol 2 months ago (1997 GQ ST 2.8TD with 380,000km). We got it reasonably cheap, and expected there to be work need on it. We also knew there was a possibility it would need a new engine too, as it was sold as "serviced every 5000km" but no evidence.
    It drives very well - and is in good condition too.

Anyways - we booked it in for a major service and checkover - knowing that there may be some serious issues.
    So the mechanic (who we trust) called me today and said the crankshaft is in a bad way, and some other stuff too (sorry - i'm a girl, and it doesnt mean much to me :S )
    He is gonna take a look and come up with some ideas, but he did mention it might be worth considering getting a new engine.

So, here's where you all come in (hooray)
    Anyone been through this before? And can anyone explain pros/cons of new engine, Vs reconditioned etc etc. I have a budget in my mind - but would be really grateful for anyone who can give me an idea of what it may cost, so I don't die of shock when I see the mechanic on Friday.

Any advice is gratefully received!
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reconditioning deisels is $$$$ (my 2.8 cost $11.5K)
    Wait till you talk to the mechanic, see what he says needs doing, and add at least $2K to it.

Paul
    Western Patrol Club member #27
    2.8TD GU --> The Red Rocket

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go on ebay type in "nissan patrol", click on "parts and accessories", then click on "engine and components" and you should find rebuiild kits in there for a price comparison for you. These kits include sleeves, pistons, rings and bearings, seals and gaskets, and a head I think from memory. Best of luck and hope it goes well for you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I hope it dont cost to much but do keep us in formed on the out come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same model Patrol and have just had the head, radiator, waterpump, timing belt replaced at a cost of $3800.00.

New head (exchange) - $1950.00
    New tripple copper and brass core radiator - $440.00
    Water pump - $110.00
    Labor and other parts - $1300.00

It now runs great.

Still need to do an injector service, replace hoses and belts, Air filter and suspension work. Probably about another $2500.00.

But then it will last for a fair while as I look after my vehicles.

Let the mechanic decide on what is needed and then weigh up the cost factor. I bought mine in good nick (except for the blown head) for $6000.00 with 260,000 ks on the clock and now I have a really good vehcle at less than the market value of a similar make and model.

If you need a hand just sing out.

Cheers,

Rob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rkinsey For This Useful Post:

AB (15th September 2010)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - so i talked to the mechanic, and he showed us the damage :S
    So the crank keyway is damaged, and has chipped away and wouldnt hold the key, so someone had previously wrapped some metal around the crank and the key to hold the crankshaft pulley in place.
    The mechanic has said he could weld the keyway in place, but not a permanent solution, which would risk the weld breaking and the damage to engine would be severe, as the pulley would slip.
    He said that it missed when they started it, so is being overcautious about the potential for a cracked head. He did say there was no moisture, and will do a pressure test this weekend.

Replacing the crank and a bottom end rebuild looks like the way to go (and loads cheaper than a new/reconn'd engine) - but to get us running, what do you think of the welding idea?

Hope this all makes sense - it's all from memory of what the mechanic said
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As your mechanic said, welding is only a temporary repair. So do you spend $1500 odd now on a temporary repair, or put that money towards a long term repair that will need to be done in 6 to 12 months anyway? If you can afford it, it makes more sense (to me) to do the repair properly.

You could always pull out the diesel and drop in a RB25DET and double your horsepower!

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would be getting the job done correctly, patch ups always seem to come back and bite you and then you will be up for more $$$
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with above, do it properly or don't do it at all.
    Western Patrol Club member #27
    2.8TD GU --> The Red Rocket

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Agreed also, No point in cutting corners if your going off road, your only asking for trouble.

Cheers
    Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast