Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have i damaged th GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have i damaged th GU

I took my just bought 98 Auto 4.5GU out for the 1st time today and i was changing from 4 wheel high range to low range and it was grinding badly between changes i tried pulling it in quickly a few times and it went in but sounded horrible. I then read the instructions behind the visor and felt like a complete idiot. Obviously the problem was that i was stopping in neutral between low and high range then pulling it through. I hate thinking about the noise, cruuuuuunch, did i damage her ?? Everything changes sweetly now but should i drop the oil out that i have only just changed or what. Any advice appreciated and any laughing at me is deserved.
    Last edited by 1peter; 18th March 2012 at 08:44 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hehehe You idiot!

That would have taken some doing i reckon, she would not have liked that at all. Does it change ok Now? is there any noise in the gear box? did you change the fluid yourself recently or pay to ahve it done?

If you did the fluid change yourself then you know how to do that, it might be worth dropping it to put your mind at ease then put it back in, no need to change it if it is fresh and clean i reckon.

Good luck, remember that noise forever Pete, and Never do that again ya goose....

lol

p.s., nice bike, looks like an 02, 03? is that the 955 or the 1050?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the exact some thing the first time I took the patrol out, no damage done to mine so you are probably fine.
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd drop the oil just to be safe as metal filings in oil ain't good. For the cost of new oil it's cheap insurance, and hope you aint caused too much wear or damage. I think it will be right if all shifts good now, but still change the oil.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure exactly how the transfer case operates, should i change the tranny oil as well or just transfer case ?? Mudrunner, there is no noise at all and everything is changing fine and the bike is an 04, glad you like it. They ran the same model from 02 to 04.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey belzi82, can you describe exactly what you did ? how many times etc ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you were changing whilst still in drive or reverse. Put the tranny in park or neutral when you change to take load off transfer.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just the transfer mate will be all good if its shifting sweet and not skipping teeth then just drop the oil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rip'n'shred, i was stationary but paused in neutral when changing between low 4 and high 4 and back again. Thanks nissannewby.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just remember the transfer case is not sycromesh,,,, as is the main box. shifting on the fly in the transfer case is not recomended unless your compertant at shifting crash gear boxes. when in doubt shift whilst stationary with clutch in or in neutral in autos. I do shift mine on the fly but i drive a crash box for work and mne is manual as well which helps.

crunching the gears once or twice is no real biggy,,,, as the gears are fairly solid but DONT make a habbit of it as they will let go when most need them. hope this helps

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast