Thread: My Class 8 Extreme 4WD MK Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Class 8 Extreme 4WD MK Patrol

Hi guys, I posted this on the introductions page, thought i would put it up here so i can update it over time, its a 1985 MK patrol, Originally a L28, now runs an Injected 308. I race in the NSW Offroad Racing Championship, i plan this year running 4 events, Crookwell, Griffith, Milbrodale and Colo.

I bought the old girl as a half built race truck in 2009. I was just starting to build up a MQ from stock when i stumbled onto this one, it already had the Carby 308 installed and the cage was in but not certified, seats where in but thats about it.

This is where i started from and with very little experience but alot of thoughts i set ipon building the old girl to race.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first race was at the Australian round at Griffith in 2010, this was also run as a NSW round and that is what i entered, the car went well until during the first lap on the sunday the front diff cover seal cracked and we lost oil, resulting in blowing the front diff, we removed the tail shaft and got going to only 500 metres later rip the front brake line of the car and lose all brakes, we managed slowly finish the lap with only some rear brakes and that was out first race!!

Race 2 was a disaster, this was Warialda 2010. The car from the moment we took it off the trailer had issues, the major being overheating, the second was just the unreliable Holley that was on the car, we ended up blowing the radiator up! but managed with a bit of bush mechanics to get a bt more racing in before packing up and heading home very disapointed!

It was the this point i decided that a major upgrade was required and this is where began the upgrade to injection, as well a better cooling system. The cooling system was first and we ran Crookwell 2011 with the radiator and fan setup and it was a massive improvement, no longer was the car running hot, it would run hard all day and not have any cooling issues, the race though was the last straw for the Holley, it caused us issues all weekend and stopped us completing full race distance. I came home, pulled the Holley off the car and put it on ebay!! then once they were gone i went about finding the injection kit and working how it was going to all work! After a bit of study i found out that the injection top end is a straight forward bolt on to the old school 308, mine being a 1974 example, i found a kit and went about fitting it up.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We raced at the 2011 Milbrodale Mountain Classic in August, the Patrol was now injected, the cooling system was done and i also had dropped from 33 inch Claws down to 31 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's. The car was fantastic, other than a broken engine mount needing some welding, the car all weekend against some tuff competiton in the Extreme 4WD class, in the End we won out class, a top effort and was very happy after all the hard work i had put in. That is pretty much where the car is now.

Im in the process of some upgrades for this season, i have a brand new Pair of 2.5 inch Remote shocks for the rear and are moving my Fox 2 inch remotes to the front,so will have dual 2 inch with a Hydraulice Bump stop on the front, and the 2.5 inches on the rear, i also have new front shackles coming, and im about to change the front diff as i bent it having a little test at my mates property, ill post the video as well!!

My next race will be Crookwell in April. If anyone is interested in coming out and you live in the area, let me know and ill tell you all about where it is!

Ill keep on updating as i change and break things in the Future!!

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen it all twice now ... and still love it!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great rig! And red, too!
    Romanian Safari TD42 owner

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very very cool, i love the 2nd last pic with the massive roost from the ass!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    aweseom thread! tops pics love the project car mate looks top shelf!!!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome thread! Awesome pics! Awesome Rig! Nuff said!
    95 GQ RX RD28T LWB Wagon and stuff. www.levelsevenband.com

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks Evan better second tIme round lol how do you find the injector set up

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, the injection is just the top end of a VS 5 Litre, the block is technically the same, so all you need to turn your old 308 into an injected 308 is change the heads, cam, and manifold, wire up the computer and off you go! Trust me, its not a hard job, im not a mechanic but love to have a go! it started first go, and has had hell since! This motor is ran hard, i hate going slow so when im racing its pushed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast