Thread: Jump Starter Packs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jump Starter Packs

Just wondering peoples thoughts on those jumpstarter packs.

-how many starts can you get out of them?
    -how long do they last from a full charge up (if unused)
    -Ive heard they can stuff up if theyre run completely flat.
    -Are they all fairly much the same quality or is there a big difference between the cheaper and more expensive?

Ill go the dual battery option one day but considering a jumperpack for now.

cheers for any thoughts
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Jock (15th March 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Aldi one a while ago, because it was cheaper than just buying a bare 18ah gel battery.

I have never used it for jump starting, but do use it to run LED lights around the camp. I have also used the tyre compressor - which is slow but puffs 'em up eventually!

I no longer use the little charger pack that came with it - instead I clip my smart charger leads onto the jumper leads, which are directly connected to the battery. I'm thinking that the smart charger will look after the battery better.

I also took mine apart, and added a Merrit socket and will add an Anderson plug if the need arises.
    Last edited by Silver; 13th March 2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: corrected battery rating from 80 ah to 18 ah
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

taslucas (13th March 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, something for me to look into also me thinks!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A mate has one and he's started 2 or 3 4wds in one day and said it seemed to have a bit of go left in it but thats about all the experience he has had.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    A mate has one and he's started 2 or 3 4wds in one day and said it seemed to have a bit of go left in it but thats about all the experience he has had.
    Can't be a bad thing I guess ... I'd be more inclined to use it for lights etc as per Silver's comments, so having something a bit more mobile as it were would be ideal ... be good to,run the fridge off too I suppose in the event of the deep cycle on the trailer not being charged (over a few days of camping)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is BIG Is GOOD! I have a 1200amp from Super Cheap and it works a treat. If it can turn over a TD42 then it is a good thing in my books.

I have used mine a fair bit with very flat batteries and it has never let me down. Would be good for quite a few cranks i reckon, i certainly have done a Dozen without a drama. Even using it when it is showing 75% and she cranks the TD42 with ease. And the TD42 is a Big engine to crank over.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

taslucas (13th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Is BIG Is GOOD! I have a 1200amp from Super Cheap and it works a treat. If it can turn over a TD42 then it is a good thing in my books.

I have used mine a fair bit with very flat batteries and it has never let me down. Would be good for quite a few cranks i reckon, i certainly have done a Dozen without a drama. Even using it when it is showing 75% and she cranks the TD42 with ease. And the TD42 is a Big engine to crank over.
    Sweet as, i think im looking at the same one you got. Sounds good. How long have you had it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

You've won me over old mate!!! It's on the list.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it for lighting and fridges, you want the 20 hour (or some other stated) capacity, eg 18 amp hours = 18 amps delivered over 20 hrs.

If you want it for cranking you want CCAs. I think. Maybe.

I'd be interested to know what the 1200 number relates to. Can't be amp hours, or if it is I'm going to buy a few :-) Presumably not milliamps, as that's only 1.2 amps.

Can't find the supercheap product with a quick search on line.
    Last edited by Silver; 13th March 2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: corrected typo on battery rating
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate who's also my mechanic got a 900amp one ages ago and swears by it,he uses it all the time(as he is a mobile mechanic in a rural area), it has the light and compressor built in as well.

I bought a cheaper one to use for jump starting the wifes CRV or the LPG Falcon in an emergency, because it always the case the car that needs a jump start is always parked in an awkward spot to get jumper leads to.

I haven't used the jump start feature yet, but the compressor has been handy, I have an old Greenfield ride on mower that lives in the back garden shed and more often than not when I want to use it the tyres are a bit low, and it's a pain to hook up the two 30metre air hoses to the compressor from the main garage just to pump them up.
    Last edited by MC97GQ; 14th March 2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast