Thread: Home made rear drawer system

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home made rear drawer system

Here is a few pics of the rear drawer system that I have built up over the last few years. The whole system is built using 12mm ply and glued and screwed together with some 42 x 19mm pine bracing in the corners. The whole lot is carpeted in about 5 different shades of grey marine carpet (because it was built over a number of years and I couldn't remember what I used last time)
    The fridge slide and surround (box) are a seperate unit and bolted on using about 10 x 1/4" bolts. Bolted to the left side of the fridge box is a small carpeted box that holds the butane cartridges and are wrapped in wetsuit style stubbie coolers, and the 2 portable gas stoves live directly below. This makes them easy to get at when needed. There is a top shelf that is bolted to the top of the fridge box and to the hand grip that used to be for the 3rd row seat, this has a drop down door to make getting stuff in and out easier.
    There is a 90ah fullriver agm behind the r/h drawer (part of the triple battery setup) and a mega grunt 12v compressor permanently mounted to the r/h side, a 6 fuse distribution box behind the r/h facia panel. A 50amp anderson plug and 6B&S cable joins the rear drawer wiring to the front agm battery under the bonnet.
    I have screwed on a couple of kitchen pantry spice holders to the outside of the actual drawers and these hold all sorts of things and on the back (facing the front of the patrol) I have screwed a cheap hold all from bunnings.
    The drawers are held in by 3 bolts using the existing bolt holes in the floor and with and 3 stainless steel turn buckles and 'd' shackles. This has proved to be very effective in securing this setup and hasn't moved at all during our trips.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregs; 12th March 2012 at 11:18 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

AJTich (21st October 2013), frenzy (22nd March 2012), HammerBuilder (13th March 2012), IMASHORTROLL (27th June 2012), jimbeamteam (16th June 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (21st March 2012), nowoolies (13th March 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely brilliant.
    That's the shizzle ! 10/10

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks LittleJohn. It has taken quite a while to get it to this stage, but when I go to change vehicles I will have a look at recarpeting the whole thing so it looks like one unit not some thing from picasso lol...I have even thought about making a complete new unit out of alloy but I reckon it will get expensive very quickly, but the upside is I should gain some extra space and everything will be neater.

cheers

Greg

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic job mate well done looks like a few frothys have gone into the thinking, planning and building each section

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greg, that is one impressive set up you have there mate, i'd struggle to put a set of ikea drawers in mine!!!!!!!! Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Puts my home made jobbies to shame...LOL. Good job Greg

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweakedoffroad View Post
    Fantastic job mate well done looks like a few frothys have gone into the thinking, planning and building each section
    Tweakedoffroad, thanks. It took a while to work out what I wanted (and I did have a couple of bourbons in the process ) and I sort of got there in the end, but the grey matter still thinks...is there a better way to this or do that or if I change this maybe it will be better. Unfortunately my brain just doesn't stop, I wish it would it would make my life a lot easier.

Cheers

Greg

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    Greg, that is one impressive set up you have there mate, i'd struggle to put a set of ikea drawers in mine!!!!!!!! Lol
    clunk71, thanks mate. Ikea drawers would probably fall apart anyway....

cheers

Greg

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissPat View Post
    Puts my home made jobbies to shame...LOL. Good job Greg
    NissPat, thanks mate. I just took ideas from a lot of places and turned out what you see. I did think about getting a custom setup from one of the manufacturers but what they ask just for the drawers was way out of my price range. So I thought...what the hell, make my own, and so I went a bit nuts with some ply and a jigsaw. I do have a couple of small changes to do to this setup but hopefully that won't turn into a major rebuild (like I normally do LOL).

cheers

Greg

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mind boggles ,there are so many different ideas out there
    chop here add there can i fit this in or hang that there

lol mate great job ,and your right the factory
    jobs are way over priced