OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Hubby wants defender I want Patrol!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help - Hubby wants defender I want Patrol!!!

Hi all,

I need your help and honest opinions...

We are previously a ford owning family always owned Falcon XH's, we have a bench seat and now a new addition of a little girl... we need to move into a family car...

My hubby deadseat has his heart lined up for a defender..

I on the other hand went in a Nissan Patrol and fell in love...

Pro's and cons on both..

Nissan comfort... for long distance driving.. the only thing I didnt like.... is that my hubby didnt feel the same way!!

Defender... plain jane and too uncomfy - I am going to say I do love its character its really like a mini truck its cute (to word like a females view)!

hubby is not convinced yet he cant fault the nissan! Performance wise they seem similar. Noise on both was not noticeable.

What we are worried about...

All these rumours on the hand grenade 3.0L TD engines..... whats the deal?

Also the cars we are looking at (both NEW vehicles)

Defender 2012 2.2L 110 series, 7 seater partial leather (hubby says he can wash out the whole car .. o0o0 big deal!) - no accessories....but we havent sat down and talked business yet...

Patrol
    2011 ST with Full leather seats
    DVD player, tilt and slide sunroof, side runners, roof rails, black steel bullbar, snorkel, heavy duty rubber floor mats and a set of the carpet ones the saleman really wanted to seal a deal with us and we came away to think about it but we only have today to decide... what price do you think the above is worth...

Who owns a 2011 I really need opinions and honest feedback I want to know what can go wrong with it... we do alot of travelling LONG distance.. at least twice a year across australia we havent done any offroad but plan too, eventually plan do the CSR etc.. The car is mainly going to be around city and suburbs with the twice a year big trips from east coast to west coast and south west to north west.

We really dont want to modify the car in any way we would like to keep it as stock as possible to limit future issues with modifications as we have had past experiences with these mods.

Any help and guidance as soon as you can would be great...

Kizzie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are great cars I would imagine anything land rover come at a big price Like any 4wd but they chuck an extra 0 behind everything. As for the 3ltr motor problem era was 2000 to 2002/3 the common rail 3ltr is fine and up to the task.
    2011 models seem to be 50 000 with the usual bells and whistles at a car yard I reckon you could just say 45 take it or leave it maybe even 40 000 take it or leave it they shoul be desperate to move the stock.
    I think the patrol would be more friendly to use more comfort and room probably cheaper to get parts and service. seems to be the same price the defender a little cheaper to but but no equipment levels. test drive both vehicles a couple of times and see how it compares
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day welcome aboard! Patrol every time. Also if you plan mods you won't have issues

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also grenade motors are a thing of the past

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd be going the patrol over Defender, far more comfortable and roomier.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys - I agree too but I need backup! LOL like Why?

Also common issues to go wrong - forgot to mention we also get the 150k/6yr warranty too...

I completely agree with you all I just need to give him that little extra push - unfortunately divorce isnt an option either... he would just replace me with a Defender LOL...

Is my hubby mad to even consider the Defender in the same category... I cannot see me agreeing to the Defender at all after being in the Patrol but he is still in two minds with both which means I do have a chance to convince him - he is just sitting ont he fence...

The other thing was it just so happens we walked into the nissan dealership as it was next to where we had parked... we never even intended to look at patrols and I didnt even know they did 7 seaters! Anyways I think he is also trying to get his head wrapped around the idea of having a patrol where his heart was set on a Defender and hoping that I would feel comfortable in it too...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think there would be more Nissan dealers scattered around the country than Landy one so service and maintenance might be less convienient with the Landy.
    They are a great vehicle, in the diesel they did have troubles with the brake? master cylinder rubbing on the bonnet and leaking oil. Also an idler bearing on one of the belts was not up to scratch and was known to fail.
    A mate was on a 4WD test with differing vehicles and the landy they had developed both these problems, when they met other owners they were in or had been in the same predicament. Or their new truck was heading that way much to their suprise and dismay.
    In saying all that it was 2 1/2 years ago and mods may well have been done to fix the problem.
    A couple of things to look for and ask questions, good luck. Whaterver you get you will enjoy.
    Macca
    Last edited by macca; 11th March 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defender is a very good rig does very well of road and I really like them but if you're doing long drives look at the difference in space fuel economy equipment levels price service costs and basic parts test drive both in different times a couple of drives each look at safety availabillity of parts and weigh it up.
    As much as I love the defender I love my patrol more.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2010 ST Patrol Auto and tow a 1500kg Jayco discovery. It's the best off road vehicle I have owned. You will be able to remove the two back seats and still have a five seater with room for fridges, prams and anything else family. Do your comparisons. It's a no brainer!

Enjoy
    Jock

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into the cost of servicing and parts .
    That might be enough to persuade him.
    Especially if it is a long term purchase landrover parts prices can be phenominal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast