OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Hubby wants defender I want Patrol!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course this is the place where Patrols rule but one of the guys at work has a defender, at 80000k (the change interval for the timing belt) he was on his way to the mech to get it replaced and yes you guessed it, it broke. mangled the engine and cost the towing bill as well. Job was done new rods, new belt. On his way home, only 50 odd klms from the mechs yep it happened again, genuine part genuine Landrover mechanic, the new timeing belt let go, yes the mechanic did the repair, but it was days before he got the vehicle back.... I am sure there are horror stories from the Patrol camp but this one I witnessed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pattersd For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 110's are very reliable but the same as most cars if they are looked after, they are a lot easier to work on as the have the isuzu running gear etc in them, down side is they are thirsty, smaller and less comfortable.

As others have mentioned, work out what you really need the rig for. Is it work paying the extra for the factory gear like dvd etc or go a cheaperodel patrol and get after market gear put in as it will work out a lot cheaper.

Either 1 you choose, you will have a good rig fir touring or off road work.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Defender straight off the showroom floor is probably the most capable vehicle in difficult terrain that you can buy. But ask your husband why is it then that the Patrol is so very much more popular? It's because here in Australia we require a vehicle that can cruise very long distances reliably and in comfort, rather than for its ability to climb a 45degree slope. The Patrol offers comfort way beyond the Defender- point out to him that that equates to less chance of car sickness for children, and therefore greater opportunities to indulge in 4wdriving as a family. And although a lot of people do modify their Patrols, a standard Patrol is a very competent off road vehicle in which you could confidently undertake a trip to anywhere in Australia. I've seen stock vehicles cruise happily through the Simpson and the Cape.
    As previously stated, so called "grenade" issues appear to have been overcome with the common rail Patrols, although many armchair experts will still show their "knowledge" by regaling those who'll listen with past stories. You could balance this with the old line about 95% of all Land Rovers ever built are still on the road. The rest have made it home. Certainly the Land Rover brand has long suffered from its image of poor build and reliability problems, although that too may have changed in recent years.
    Perhaps fuel economy of the auto Patrols may be a deterrent, but if you're thinking manual, the difference is minimal, and you'll have a vehicle that is a pleasure to drive both off and on road.
    Hope this helps, Kizzie.
    Last edited by GRA.GU; 11th March 2012 at 02:03 PM.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GRA.GU For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012), Silver (11th March 2012)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear what you say about keeping mods to a minimum - but wagons need a cargo barrier.

If you are touring, a set of drawers is probably well worth considering.

Defenders still have that small back door? Limiting in lots of ways loading and moving stuff - and very limiting for drawer sets. On the other hand, if going for a dual cab ute, what is the ride quality like when empty?
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok we have a 130 dual cab defender ( currently for sale) and a 4 day old 2012 patrol. Before making the choice of buying the patrol we were going to by a new defender. What changed our minds were a few things. Service costs Nissan are cheaper. Warranty Nissan are better. Face to face service Nissan were better ( this could be dealer specific ). Long distance driving Nissan seems better. Fuel economy was about the same. Nissan comes factory auto. Defender is louder (we have to actually ask the kids to yell so we can hear them in the front). Nissan is cheaper to buy. Defender can be washed out. Defender dust and water seals are crap they WILL leak and let dust in. Defender will leak oil. Our mechanic who is a land rover guru told us not to buy the new ones. There have been a lot more things go wrong with the new defenders then there has with the Nissan such as ignitions oil leaks belts etc. in saying all this the defender is great off road and you will get a wave from everyother defender you pass. Getting parts away from a major city will be easier and faster with the Nissan.
    The defender is a way of life a Nissan is luxury and reliability

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gowalkabout.com.au For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is pretty hard to refute the sort of 1st hand experience that Offroadmafia has provided, Kizzie. You should be able to get your choice now.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GRA.GU For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Land Rovers are notorious for their electrical problems, oil leaks and water leaking into the cabin when it rains or the vehicle was washed.

My father had an older model dual cab ute. I don't think his was classed as the 110, I think he had the longer wheel base model.

Anyway, he suffered numerous electrical problems, oil leaks and they never did stop the water leaking into the cabin problem.

My previous neighbour about 5 years ago, purchased a brand new Defender wagon.

It still had the same water leaking into the cabin problem that the dealer was unable to stop after numerous attempts.

As well as some electrical problems, I can't remember him complaining about oil leaks.

The Patrols suffer very few electrical problems and generally do not leak oil.

The "grenade ZD30" refers to the early ZD30 engines, vehicles manufactured in 2000-2003. Nissan had a lot of problems with these new engines when they were first released.

These problem have been resolved and you should not have any problem with a later model vehicle.

I was working at a Holden dealership when the GEN 3 V8 engines were first released and we were rebuilding 3 a week because of the problem they had, so Nissan aren't the only ones to have problem when a new engine is released.

I personally do not like Land Rovers, to me they are ugly, boxed shaped and uncomfortable to ride in.

But my father loves them, he owned numerous Land Rovers over the years ranging from a 1949 model to his last one a Discovery.

It really comes down to which vehicle suits your needs best.

Have you had a look at the Land Rover forum? I sure they will give you some Ideas of common faults.

Good luck with you choice.

Cheers Rodney

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I work for the Gov't so trust me I'm here to help...

IMHO offroadmafia nails it.

My vocation takes me all over coastal WA from the Kimberley to east of Esperance and we have a small fleet of 4X's to get around in which are changed out every 3 years.
    Currently we have a Cruiser, Defender, Triton and a Ranger and just turned over a 4.8 Patrol and a Hilux soon to pick up a Navara and haven't decided on what else.

We all hate the Defender with a passion for long distance IE over 500 K's (some of our trips are well over 4,000) uncomfortable, very basic, noisy, nowhere near the room of the other vehicles in the cabin brilliant off road tho.

The best truck head and shoulders was the 4.8 Patrol (Dang we miss it) but thank God the tax payer was paying for fuel.

For a family vehicle/daily driver that has to do the odd long distance holiday I would rate a Patrol streets ahead of the Defender in every aspect 'cept hardcore 4WD. In the touring that I do with with Missus and often Grandkids in the vehicle if the terrain is bad enough that my Patrol won't get thru or the mud and water is that deep then I don't want to go there this trip anyway... for work or with mates yeah, maybe, but with the family on board, no thanks.

Ask hubby, "Yes, you can wash the Defender out with a fire hose, just curious how often you plan on doing that sort of trip with me and the kid/s and what the plan is if we have a breakdown?"
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Kizzie (11th March 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't a platinum 4.8 2009 auto model was it ET? As the 1 I purchased a few weeks back was ex gubbermint in perth
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Euthanasia is the answer!!

The defender is fundamentally the same car that crossed continents in the 1960s. Awesome car no doubt but we are in another century and in 2012. The old G60 Nissan did alright back then too but the Marque has found the wonder of the industrial revolution and the creature comforts that are reasonably expected in today's world.

It really is chalk and cheese. Tell him to buy an old zook for bush bashing and get real and buy the Nissan. There will simply never be a single minute of regret or what if.

Have you guys actually gone for a drive in the landy? Wow! Get in that and all will become clear!!! You will NEVER agree to the defender once you have sat in it.

Have fun in the Nissan
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th March 2012 at 12:33 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast