Thread: DIY awnings

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY awnings

Found a neat little product that I thought I would share.

I have some sail track mounted on the camper which is only about 2.5m long and it came with the usual tiny awning 2.5m x 2.5m which doesn't cover much area when camping.

I went and bought a heavy duty tarp 5m x 5m and when I was camping I just drooped it over the camper and the usual pole and ropes, etc. The tarp was rubbing on the camper and would have ripped holes in it after a while so I needed to somehow utilise the original track on the camper.

Found these little gadgets on Ebay which you can run through the track and hook onto your tarp's eyelets at whatever spacing.

Should work a treat!

I also thought you could easily mount a track to your roof rack and use any tarp, any size for a side awning on your 4wd too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gutter-Gr...item4cfee8c4d5

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

GRA.GU (10th March 2012), my third 256 (7th March 2012), Robo (7th March 2012), twisty (6th March 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought some to try - thanks mate. Figure for $19 I'd give em a go and report back ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Just bought some to try - thanks mate. Figure for $19 I'd give em a go and report back ...
    Actually, this wont work...lol...Jokes!

The only problem I can see is that the tarp would be a wooftinth bent as the eyelets need to sit horizontal and so does the clip that comes out but I would say it would be minimal bend in the tarp and most likely hardly noticable.

These suit an 8mm sail track so I'm just going to confirm my track is 8mm and Ill buy some tonight too.

Most track is 8mm I think!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post

The only problem I can see is that the tarp would be a wooftinth bent as the eyelets need to sit horizontal and so does the clip that comes out but I would say it would be minimal bend in the tarp and most likely hardly noticable.

These suit an 8mm sail track so I'm just going to confirm my track is 8mm and Ill buy some tonight too.

So long as they clip to the truck, they're better than nothing, and heaps cheaper than an awning ... especially for the amount of times I'd use them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could use a ziptie to attach clip to eyelet for it to sit straight stephen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could use a ziptie to attach clip to eyelet for it to sit straight stephen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find AB,

Another option would be to use a small D Shackle to hold the tarp to the gutter gripper. That way if you had a captive track gutter grippers stay in the track and you attach the tarp when you need it.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MC97GQ View Post
    Nice find AB,

Another option would be to use a small D Shackle to hold the tarp to the gutter gripper. That way if you had a captive track gutter grippers stay in the track and you attach the tarp when you need it.

Mark
    I was thinking something like that too but the more things you add, the more space your making between the camper or the vehicle and the tarp resulting in a gap for rain to come in.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking something like that too but the more things you add, the more space your making between the camper or the vehicle and the tarp resulting in a gap for rain to come in.
    This is just what I was thinking. These clips are not going to stop rain getting in right where you don't want it as you will have a gap between the camper/caravan and the tarp, although they would sure have a few other uses around the van.

A bloke who often camps at the same place we go made up his own awning tarp by doubling over the edge of the tarp around a length of 6mm poly rope and gluing it. Once it is slid into the track it holds itself together and works a treat.

Cheers Ric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    This is just what I was thinking. These clips are not going to stop rain getting in right where you don't want it as you will have a gap between the camper/caravan and the tarp, although they would sure have a few other uses around the van.

A bloke who often camps at the same place we go made up his own awning tarp by doubling over the edge of the tarp around a length of 6mm poly rope and gluing it. Once it is slid into the track it holds itself together and works a treat.

Cheers Ric
    Good idea mate. I was also thinking of possibly stitching in a flap to cover the gap too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well mine turned up today.

Well, they're bloody small...lol...The picture made them out to be large triangular brackets but in reality they are matchstick sizes.

Good news is that they would have minimal gap between the car/camper and the attached tarp. I guess the bad news could be "Are they strong enough". I'll get back to you's on that one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast