OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which degreaser to clean intercooler?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after noticing an oily smudge on the pipe work for the after-cooler where the rubber pipe fits over, I thought oh shit my turbo is on the way out and then had a look for a service kit on ebay. I asked a diesel mechanic mate about doing the turbo service myself and he said don't do it as he has seen a few amateurs stuff it up (he wasn't just spruiking for work). Also he pointed out the fact that the crank case breather is directed back into the suction side of the air supply, hence the oily smudge. I am thinking about doing the big clean up of the air supply on my 2.8 and am taking bits and pieces off this forum to work it out as well. another point my mate strongly made was make sure you thoroughly clean out any residual cleaning solution to avoid any damage down the line to the manifold, valves and pots.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brother inlaw had a nissan stagea and they recommended on there to clean the intercoolers with simply petrol, anyone want to shed some light on that? for some reason im thinking it would be better then a random degreaser

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Are the RD28's that bad for vapours?
    Yes shocking a baffled catch can works though .
    I made the mistake of fitting a supercrap catch can wich did absolutely nothing until i modified it.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just done the inter cooler and all associated pipes with petrol, gave the inter cooler a good soaking(filled it with petrol) rinsed it several times (with petrol) then put it out it the sun to dry.(making sure no fuel left inside) a lot of oil residue from the crank case breather feed into the intake. also done the EGT+removed butterfly. and re routed the grank case breather so it wont clog the inter cooler again. GU 4.2tdi.now runs a lot better.
    Last edited by timbo1; 8th April 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo1 View Post
    just done the inter cooler and all associated pipes with petrol, gave the inter cooler a good soaking(filled it with petrol) rinsed it several times (with petrol) then put it out it the sun to dry.(making sure no fuel left inside) a lot of oil residue from the crank case breather feed into the intake. also done the EGT+removed butterfly. and re routed the grank case breather so it wont clog the inter cooler again. GU 4.2tdi.now runs a lot better.
    mind sharing where you re routed the crank case breather?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lufkin View Post
    mind sharing where you re routed the crank case breather?
    across back of fire wall down drivers side fire wall(making sure it didn't rub on steering rod) then under car (back to atmosphere) 2 meters of heater hose from Clark rubber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12