Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for new products / designs

Hi Guys,
    Well for those that don't know me, my name is Greg and i do contract engineering and design work for the 4wd'ing industry. I love my nissans and always seem to concentrate on designing trick stuff for them, I designed things like the 'superflex arms' and the GU rear chassis brace ( http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...r-Brace-design ).

But its time for something new i reckon! Can i get some ideas or inspiration for some things you guys might need? or an area on the vehicle that could use an upgrade.

Thanks
    Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking a winch mount cradle that easily adapts to front and rear and maybe a rear bracket in the back of the car to hold it in until you need it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A decent underbody guard
    1998 GU TI LS1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shovel / jack mount with generic mounting, underbody kits, storage "boxes" to replace rear trim and make use of wasted space?
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,a real one to test you.

An affordable lift kit for leaf sprung MQ/Mk Patrols, that are more road driveable than shacle extensions. Yeah I knowabout lifted spring that eventually sag . I was thinking of like a lift block that fitted onthe bottom of the chasis, replacing standard mounts.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the ideas guys thats great! Please keep them coming. I have added those ideas to my list of jobs and have already started sketching up some stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    either a bolt in or weld in A frame kit for the rear of a patrol possibly triangulated. A hinged wheel carrier for the rear of ute ( something that swings down to make placing wheel on/off carrier easier) with a well designed hinge system which makes it easy. A high steer knuckle for GU diffs. And I would like to possible spring over my girls leaf sprung gq but am finding it hard to find info about doing this so possible some sort of high steer set up for them. Also I have been pondering something lately- do the upper and lower rear control arms on a patrol work in relation to each other eg if fitting a long arm set up should the upper arms be lengthened proportionally?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgraded hinges that allow you to have a decent spare on the rear without creaking and groaning all the time!

Cheers!
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    either a bolt in or weld in A frame kit for the rear of a patrol possibly triangulated. A hinged wheel carrier for the rear of ute ( something that swings down to make placing wheel on/off carrier easier) with a well designed hinge system which makes it easy. A high steer knuckle for GU diffs. And I would like to possible spring over my girls leaf sprung gq but am finding it hard to find info about doing this so possible some sort of high steer set up for them. Also I have been pondering something lately- do the upper and lower rear control arms on a patrol work in relation to each other eg if fitting a long arm set up should the upper arms be lengthened proportionally?
    I did a bit of development work a while back on the rear suspension and A frames. After a heap of measurements and testing I designed the 'Long-Arm Kit' which replaces the lower with longer flatter links. This setup allowed us to run shocks with ~18-20" of travel, which is a HUUUUUGE amount of flex at the tire, and this was still running stock upper links and panhard. The other advantage was the reduction in diff steer and anti squat. Running this setup, they climb amazingly well and allow you to 'power-on' while off camber without the rear trying to jack up and tip you over all the time.
    As for high steer knuckles for a GU, I am sorry to say its not really economical. Most owners can't or won't justify the upgrade and honestly there are other things most should upgrade first. Economical and reliable diff strength should really be addressed first IMO.
    In regard to SPOA I personally wouldn't recommend it, not that its a bad thing, but a well setup SPUA can be amazing if done with some intelligence (and still be legal) eg: look at the rear ends of the jeepspeeds, they drive at 100mph through the desert and jump 15 feet in the air.

I hope that helps answer a few questions.
    Greg

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome info cheers for taking the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast