Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front axle seal leaking

Hi guys

Well this is my first post and I am hoping that someone can help with my problem. I have changed my passenger’s side front axle seal for the third time now and once again it is leaking. I know that the dif is straight because it wasn't leaking prior to me changing the front diff centre. So I am thinking it must be the way I am putting the axle back into the housing. Is there a trick to this would much appreciate any help.
    Cheers

Bernei

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate welcome aboard jump over to the intro section n say g'day
    When you put the axles back in it is very easy to damage the little seal so support the weight and try n keep it as parallel to the ground as possible

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

nissandrytropics (27th April 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did put it the correct way around didn't you?. (the spring go's toward the inside).

Did you make sure to put all the kingpin spacer's back in the correct location?. (ie, didn't just whack them all back on the upper or lower.)

Only other prob's I can think of would be the two mentioned above.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bernie just backingup Growlers post, please post up an intro as the more Senior Members are more likely to help you with problems if you follow our simple friendly protocols.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bernie
    First of all make sure you lube the seal wipers with a bit of diff oil. Next thing where the seal runs how much of a grove is cut into the axle ?
    The way I put axles back in is- I have a couple of axle stands that I have modified to a threaded height adjustment. I have these set up with the axle laid across them set at the height if the diff tube. Then I fit a modified scaffold pipe and bracket to the axle end and with the stands set at the right height I just slide the axle home with no damage to the seal.
    It a bit of mucking around but makes life easier.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snafu For This Useful Post:

nissandrytropics (27th April 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bernie
    I have just come across you post now and i'm about to undertake a replacement of the same front passenger side seal that you mentioned. The advice that im reading is great (thanks guys) but it sounds like i'll have to be really careful when i put it all back in. Does anyone have a diagram that i can use to run off, failing that i might have to look a round for a manual,
    Cheers,

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself a Max Ellery manual and in there it will show you, don't get Gregorys from my experience they are crap. So I gather you are going to do the swivel hub as well ? If so the king pin bearings and cv require moly grease. Also there is a very thin metal sealing plate ( i can't remember its actual name ) that goes between the king pin bearing and hub. This is to stop any water that gets into the bearing from getting into the cv. Well these arn't supplyed in the kit and have to get them from nissan. Some people run with out them but they are there for a reason. Also with this plate removed it effects the king pin bearing preload as well. To get the king pin bearing cup out of the hub ( these are a taper roller bearing ) you will stuff this sealing plate. The manual will explain it and also once you have it apart you'll see what I mean. Its hard to discribe in words.
    When putting the axle back in yes you have to try and not drag the axle across the seal wipers as this can stuff them. Like I mentioned before a bit of gear oil on the seal wipers will help it not to run dry for the intial revolution. Check for groves in the axle where the seal runs if the groves are bad you may need to get the axle spray metal transferred then machined. Don't use a speedy sleave these are only used to get out of the shite. The issue with them is they take away the very slight clearance that allows the oil the lube the seal wipers. So once that clearance is gone the seal runs dry and then its stuffed.
    Last edited by Snafu; 28th April 2012 at 12:29 AM.