Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Loose alloy wheels on Nissan Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are saying wheels come loose after 20-50km well my LHR did approx 2000km before parting the vehicle today. There is obviously some kind of issue with it happening to so many people.

..........Leroy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much damage? Who put the nuts on last ?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter cfm View Post
    Hi Jeff

I have had the problem it came off at 95km
    Replace the hubs on the rear it did again left hand rear
    Replace the rims seems to be work Unfortunatly I need check the tyres every day
    I will never buy a Nissan again going to buying a BT 50 Mazda
    Contacted Nissan first time they about
    Peter
    Pfft! Mazda. They have yet made a real car. Sorry, the old RX series with the Rotary engines were the only decent vehicle they made.
    See ya.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    After having wheels or tyres replaced or worked on You need to RECHECK your wheel nut after say 10 kays
    even if you leave 4x4 shop and return 15 min later requesting they re tension nuts up.
    You just missed "NATIONAL CHECK YOUR NUTS DAY" but another coming up soon with the track closure.

@ leroy patrol should of checked them well before 2000. mark it in as part of a monthly check list
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 19th May 2013 at 02:31 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrol wheels should only be torqued to 133Nm. There was a batch of bad ones where the alloy had too many impurities and the nuts would rip straight through. I've only seen it twice but it has been known to happen.
    Maroon 2000 GU II ST
    04 ZD30 heart transplant half bulletproofed!
    Winning!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I've been reading this isn't just limited to Nissan or patrols..... has happened on a wide variety of makes and models, whether on OEM alloys, or after market jobbies

MCCrappatappalot signing in!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it happened to me - wheel fell off too

Quote Originally Posted by Country_GU View Post
    Patrol wheels should only be torqued to 133Nm. There was a batch of bad ones where the alloy had too many impurities and the nuts would rip straight through. I've only seen it twice but it has been known to happen.
    driving along in my 07 Pathfinder last week, doing 70KPH, rear left wheel parted the vehicle, scary when it happened but no one hurt so that's the main thing.

The alloy had worked its way over the wheel nuts and came off, bit of bodywork damage nothing too serious.

I think whats happened is that the cup type washers that are pressed into the alloy (see pic) have come loose and when wheels have been off for new tyres or servicing these have fell out and not replaced, anyone agree with this?

These cup washers are not meant to come out of the alloy so is this an alloy wheel defect? ~You will see in the pic of the alloy wheel itself the circular holes have all been reemed out to the shape of the wheel nut. When the wheel came off the nuts were left on the studs attached to the brake disc...

seems most people are talking about the rear left wheel coming off, why would this one be more prone to failure?WP_20150401_009[1].jpgWP_20150401_008[1].jpgWP_20150328_007[1].jpg

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happened to me as well in 1976 in my first 4X4 a 1969 shorty cruiser after driving 600ks from Brisvagas to Rocky. I had rotated wheels and rear left been done up tight (no torque wrenches in those days) but wheel was up against the raised lip in middle of brake drum and after some time had worked loose and now against the drum had enough play to almost wear through studs.
    Rear left wheel gets most of the drive from diff as seen when tyre wears more than any other tyre on vehicle. I have seen explanation but can't remember how or why this happens and was beyond my simple mind.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

Sorry I haven't read all the posts - but a quick note from me.
    Had the rear passenger side wheel come loose at 110 (there's a long thread somewhere on here with regular updates).

From my research, I found that Nissan never lodged an official recall, but they did fit the plastic markers.
    The only reason for the wheels to come loose is if they are incorrectly tensioned (wrong order, wrong tension).

So I went back to the place who did our wheel rotation and they (eventually - after raising with Australia-wide manager) replaced the rim and tyre with new ones.

PM me for more info, if you want it

Cheers, Trace
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can add another late model GU to the list, not mine but someone I have met before. Lost his left rear wheel about 6 weeks ago, I only just found out but don't know the circumstances.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast