OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type of tread pattern do you like best in this breand & would recommend to other

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Road Terrain

1 3.57%
  • All Terrain

10 35.71%
  • Mud Terrain

19 67.86%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tyre Feedback - Kumho

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    25,000 Kilometre report - KL 78's

Still pretty happy with the value for money overall. I estimate they will be due for replacement at about 65,000 maybe 70,000 tops BUT as noted previously tyre wear isn't necessarily linear so still a guesstimate.
    They have held their balance well and worn very evenly so I have only rotated them once at 20,000 K's. No tread slap, no scalloping etc.

My truck is pretty near GVM with all its goodies and fatrrse driver so is what I call "heavy" and when we are away we tow about 900 Kg in the Camper and gear

Bitumen - very good 8/10
    Gravel - excellent 9/10
    Beach - not bad 6/10
    Mud - rubbish 1/10

As I don't do much mud at all I thought I would be very happy but there is one issue I didn't really consider at the time of purchase. My useage is about 95 % Bitumen/Gravel/Beach or WA outback Sandand about 3% mud (if that). The problem is that the 3% mud can be a show stopper IE if you wear hearing protection and drive defensively then a muddie (any muddie) is OK on the bitumen, a bit better on gravel, no real hassle on the beach and obviously great in the mud.

That means the M/T will go anywhere the A/T will but at the cost of comfort however the A/T won't go anywhere the muddies can. In a weird way that means the Muddies are actually more of an all terrain than an A/T depending how you look at it so my search for that elusive and aggressive A/T that is about a 4 in the Mud on my personal scale of performance continues.

I must also add that the missus and I tour and do very little "playing" so my opinions are biased towards getting from A to B not conquering a mudhole or a hill climb.

Bottom line (@ 25,000 K's) ... IMHO the KL78's are worth the money and perform as well as anything else in an A/T albeit they wear quicker than, say, Coopers or BFG etc so the $ per K figure would probably be similar. I would recommend them to anyone who does very little to no mud so at the risk of setting labels I would call them a perfect choice for a family daily driver or grey nomad that does towing and semi adventurous camping, exploring, touring etc but that stays home or in camp when the tracks get really wet.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 9th November 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got myself a set of KL71 (285/75/16) on steel rims. I have only done around 5000km so far but I am well impressed. On the road I run the front @ 36psi for steering feel and 40psi in the rear for road holding due to the roof rack and usually well loaded. They are quite and grip well in the wet and dry. Off road, depending what we are doing, I run them between 14psi and 20psi. They handle everything I've done really well, sand, mud, loose gravel, rock steps etc. They are showing some battle scars but I feel that it is reasonable considering what I've put them through.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my new KL78's fitted to my stock GU today in a 285/75/16

Tread pattern:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366376166.834688.jpg

Front clearance:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366376203.067925.jpg

Rear clearance:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366376225.450713.jpg

Overall:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366376243.784947.jpg

I will report performance as I get a chance to test them out, I'm going out Sunday so might get a chance then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trekster; 19th April 2013 at 11:32 PM.
    1998 GU RD28T: RIP
    1996 GQ RD28T: RIP 11 days later
    Hello 2012 GU CRDZD30

Nissan winchbar + Warn, Dual Battery/Redarc, UHF and Titan rear drawers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys look like they do good deals on Kumho

http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/tyres

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kl78's were $256 a corner, but I did get one price at $245, I had to pay the normal price due to me getting them on interest free.... I also priced the 265/75/16's at $235 a tyre.

You can get any tyres cheap online but then freight and fitting etc pretty much makes the prices on the level with the exception of the Bfg's a/t, most shops want $400+ for them but I priced some at $250 each would work out a hell of a lot cheaper!

1998 GU RD28T: RIP
    1996 GQ RD28T: RIP 11 days later
    Hello 2012 GU CRDZD30

Nissan winchbar + Warn, Dual Battery/Redarc, UHF and Titan rear drawers

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekster View Post
    My kl78's were $256 a corner, but I did get one price at $245, I had to pay the normal price due to me getting them on interest free.... I also priced the 265/75/16's at $235 a tyre.

You can get any tyres cheap online but then freight and fitting etc pretty much makes the prices on the level with the exception of the Bfg's a/t, most shops want $400+ for them but I priced some at $250 each would work out a hell of a lot cheaper!

Where do you get them Trekster?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Truck.JPG

This is a set of 35in KL71's on my GU IV patrol. I have done about 5000kms on them. It is also the 3rd set I have had on my vehicles, including my old GQ. In my opinion, they are excellent. So much quieter that the STT's I had on there with better grip, both on and off road. They are not supposed to be rated well for sand but I have found them to be very good. I haven't had the oppotunity to have a go through mud in them yet.

Positives:- cheap, quiet, great grip wet or dry, good in sand.
    Negitives:- haven't really got anything bad to say about them.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gecko17 For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (5th April 2014)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234