OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type of tread pattern do you like best in this breand & would recommend to other

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Road Terrain

3 4.92%
  • All Terrain

22 36.07%
  • Mud Terrain

36 59.02%
  • Other

2 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Feedback - Maxxis

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anymore info on treps or crawlers guys?
    need to fill my second set of rims with something more aggressive and am looking at either at the moment.
    ta
    GQ TI 95
    - TB42EFI > LPG 90L, Ironman Snorkel, Ironman Awning, Rhino Roof Bars/Racks, 33"ATZ 4Ribs. Jensen DVD headunit, EFS Steering Damper, Castor Correction, Elinz DVD Headrests, Led lighting, Factory Diff Lock, 2" H/Duty Dobinson Coils and Ultima Shocks, GME 3220 UHF, Supercharge A/Round Main, CTEK DCDC to Aux Battery

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warnie View Post
    Something I have been wondering for a while is do the Treps perform like the Micky T Claw where they are awesome in a straight line but lack any sideways traction at all. I ask as their tread pattern looks quite similar and am curious. I won't be buying a set in the near future as I have only just bought a new set of tyres and are very happy with them so they will stay. Just one for the knowledge bank.
    I wouldnt know mate I havnt had a set of claws. and by sideways traction do you mean sidewall or going sideways. If its going sideways I found it surprisingly easy to flick it out on the dirt
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I wouldnt know mate I havnt had a set of claws. and by sideways traction do you mean sidewall or going sideways. If its going sideways I found it surprisingly easy to flick it out on the dirt
    Yeah Ben, going sideways, like when you are going up a clay type track and the front or rear starts sliding out due to the straight lugs with no lugs aiding sideways traction.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warnie View Post
    Yeah Ben, going sideways, like when you are going up a clay type track and the front or rear starts sliding out due to the straight lugs with no lugs aiding sideways traction.

yes they do that. But I noticed on the wet rock at landcruiser park yesterday the sideways traction was alot better
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a set of 37 creepies before I had a set of 35 bighorns... can't fault maxxis at all, great tyre but need to drop them real low to get them to bag, 6-8 psi and that is without bead lockers but on a 8 inch rim on road only about 20 but do ok, a tad on the noisy side though. had a bit of a issue with hooking up from wet mud to rocks and all reports are they aren't that good in the mud rocks transision but overall they are good, first bias tyre that I have used and love em.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Maxxis 700 Bravo A/T P265/70R16 112S on my GU. With VERY little experience their fine, so far, on road and a bit of dirt. BUT ... after reading many posts about tyres, treks and repairs, I looked at the sidewall ply. Two.

I checked again the next day. It still said two. I've read that 4x4 tyres should have more plys than that. You know, sidewall strength, puncture resistance etc. Can I assume this brand is marketed to 4x4 owners who never go on dirt? If so, then I need to upgrade.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Twisty, Plys and Belts are important for thickness so it is possible to have a 2 ply that is stronger/thicker that a 3 plys due to the belts. Maxxis have very good feedback from users through the 4wd clubs. my daughter had a set for 4 years, they did not wear out so quick as some other brands . They also handle well in many areas and balance well (not square!!) One brand of all terrain tyres I see a few times are really great until the last 20% and then they are next to useless, the maxiis seem to hold well until the last bit of tread is nearly gone! My daughter climbed the steps, central Vic in her Maxxis in a Suziki Vitara when other more 'full on" vehicles were having trouble! Hope they work out goor for you as the pricing is pretty good! regards 4wdkenny

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4wdKenny For This Useful Post:

twisty (21st September 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previous tyres were BFG MT KM, Now got the Bighorns from Maxxis.

Bighorns look Horn, are noisy as they wear, handle very good on the black stuff, and very good in all offroad situations, they wear average, lost 3mm of tread in 15000km, but they are cheap as chips, prob get 40-50000km before they are no good for 4x4, and prob last 65000 before they are down too the limit. Very happy, but the noise sux big time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to test my 35 in treps on the sand this weekend cant predict how they are going to go
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxxis Bighorn

Ive used the maxxis bighorn in 35x12.5x15LT. I found them good offroad in the mud and rocks, have torn them a little and once in 2.5 years spiked one side wall when going through a bog hole i think it was a sharp rock.
    Used on my daily drive pretty good grip in the dry and a lillte slippy in the wet just keep my distance in traffic when wet.
    I bought them with about 75 - 80 % tread and have lasted me about 50000Ks
    Overall i would use them again, now that they have about 5% tread left on them they are noisey and you can feel the blocks of rubber hitting the road at slow speed

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast