OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type of tread pattern do you like best in this breand & would recommend to other

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Road Terrain

0 0%
  • All Terrain

20 42.55%
  • Mud Terrain

29 61.70%
  • Other

1 2.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Feedback - BFG

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wherethehellarewe View Post
    won't self clean in the mud for anything.
    I wish my car would self clean
    2001 GU II - 3.0TD Auto. ARB Bullbar - Runva 11XP Winch - NADed with Boost & EGT gauges - OME 2in Lift - Manta 3in - Dual Battery - Spotties & LED Lightbar - Uniden 80ch UHF - Rear Drawers & Engel Fridge - 3/4 Steel cage Car goes vroom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have bfg a/t on my swb and run about 35psi for high way and down to 18psi for the sand dont seem to have a problem with them.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did 90K on the A/T's. Found that I was wearing edges at 36 psi so drove on 40psi for road use. This made for a stiff ride once off the tarmac. The majority of my 4x4 driving is in sand (fire trail and beach) and found i needed to drop to 16psi for the soft beachs on the south coast of WA. I won't hesitate to drop to 12 psi when the going gets tough. Overall i was happy with overall wear but won't be buying them again. I now run BFG muddies KM1's for the last 4 years and they are wearing great also. They are much better on the beach than A/T IMO. Also loads more grip on the fire trails. I run them on the same tyre pressures as the A/T's. Either tyre has not fallen off the rim and no blow outs

Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tango173 For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (31st May 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had bfg all terrain's on many vehicles over the past 20 years. currently running 265/70/17. last year they did the simmo, Birdsville track, cape York creb track and maytown palmer river and tele track. and that was with 45,000 on them before the trip, without one puncture. they are scared on side wall as well as tread but still hanging in there. they have 73,000 on them now and rubber is getting hard. getting a bit scary in the rain. tried mtz and km2 but the Nissan is more set up for touring so I stick with the at's
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango173 View Post
    Did 90K on the A/T's. Found that I was wearing edges at 36 psi so drove on 40psi for road use. This made for a stiff ride once off the tarmac. The majority of my 4x4 driving is in sand (fire trail and beach) and found i needed to drop to 16psi for the soft beachs on the south coast of WA. I won't hesitate to drop to 12 psi when the going gets tough. Overall i was happy with overall wear but won't be buying them again. I now run BFG muddies KM1's for the last 4 years and they are wearing great also. They are much better on the beach than A/T IMO. Also loads more grip on the fire trails. I run them on the same tyre pressures as the A/T's. Either tyre has not fallen off the rim and no blow outs

Cheers
    Funny you say you found muds better in sand , because i found my BFG MTs better in the sand than the BFG ATs, i just put it down to going from 32s (AT) up to 33s (MT), but at only 10mm wider and 15mm taller ,i honestly expected the muds to be worse due to the higher effective gear ratio and such a aggressive hole digging tread.

Even the mrs noticed the difference (from the passenger seat) without me saying anything !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Goldifox (9th April 2015)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just returned from a trip of only 800 odd klms, some highway, some normal dirt road, and the Maytown to Laura Road in the middle. This trip was done with a brand new set of KM2 MUD TERRAINS, so I thought I'd post some pics of how they finished. The track itself is a bit less than 80 odd clicks, but some sections of it are classed as heavy going on jagged rocks and slate and some damage to your tyres is to be expected. There was only one location where I had to winch myself up and over a rock jump-up, but lots of low range and loose rocks flying out the back in a cloud of dust (the dash cam often failed to show how hard the track was or how much fun we were having on it).

Overall I was more than impressed with how they handled to rough stuff. I have previously only used BFG A/T's, Bridgestone Dueller MT's, and the Wrangler MT's (model before the Kevlar came in). I would rate the BFG MT better than I would have expected the others to perform for this particular track, and must say that I think they will be the best I have used in general off-road driving so far, although obviously there are many more to try... The previous Wrangler MT was also a bloody good tyre and would have done this track with ALMOST equal aplomb.

The Maytown to Laura track has several offshoots, and some of these are very hard on tyres with much slipping and hard driving to get up steep rocky slopes, so obviously the outer lugs will cop the worst of it.

For most of the trip I ran them at 22psi, but they did heat up and raise pressures to 27psi during the middle of the day, requiring them to be lowered again. This is to be expected of course. There was also some small sand patches where I took them for a run, at the lower pressures, and they performed well, although perhaps not as well as the other three tyres have in past experience. I could be splitting hairs but did think they dug in a little more.

At the end of the day there were no punctures or any damage to the sidewalls, so I was happy with that.

Below are some pics of the damage that the tyres finished with after some fairly hard rock driving, the worst of which could have been avoided by taking the tourist route...which just wasn't the order of the day. Another little enjoyment was that the 80 series and the 79 series Toyotas in our group were both doing things a lot harder than I was, albeit without a locker in either vehicle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok. I have racked up 80,000km on mine to date. They are a 285/75/16 KM2. They were balanced when fitted and once again at 55,000km. I rotate them every 5000km when I do a service, a couple of times have gone out to 10,000km. I tow a horse float which empty weighs 1800kg, go up the beach, out to glasshouse, dirt/gravel roads and majority of bitumen driving. For a mud tyre they handle bloody well even on wet bitumen, are quiter than most other mud Tyres and wear better than most as well.

Going by the measurements between new and worn to the indicators I will be seeing 100,000km out of this set of 4. I certainly will be buying these again.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (19th December 2013), Maxhead (16th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Ok. I have racked up 80,000km on mine to date. They are a 285/75/16 KM2. They were balanced when fitted and once again at 55,000km. I rotate them every 5000km when I do a service, a couple of times have gone out to 10,000km. I tow a horse float which empty weighs 1800kg, go up the beach, out to glasshouse, dirt/gravel roads and majority of bitumen driving. For a mud tyre they handle bloody well even on wet bitumen, are quiter than most other mud Tyres and wear better than most as well.

Going by the measurements between new and worn to the indicators I will be seeing 100,000km out of this set of 4. I certainly will be buying these again.
    Talking to a few Tyre dealers and they all say it's unlikely not to get those figures from a modern mud Tyre.

I guess mud tyres are the New At's, AT'S the New HT's and HT's belong on sedans... Lol
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although my KM2's have only had one trip, I did notice that they are quieter than other tyres I've heard.
    They do have a few wounds/marks from the Knockwood trip which was very rocky and dry.
    Having done a few Wombat trips also found them great in the mud but I did notice on slightly slippery slopes the car would slip to the right for a millisecond before gripping (if you understand what I mean).
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will it pull when under hard braking ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast