OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type of tread pattern do you like best in this breand & would recommend to other

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Road Terrain

2 4.44%
  • All Terrain

31 68.89%
  • Mud Terrain

15 33.33%
  • Other

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Feedback - Cooper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 33" Cooper S/Ts on my GU and they have done about 70,000kms. I have only rotated them a couple of times (slack, I know), and they are still fine. I do most driving on bitumen but in mud and sand they have been excellent. I am looking forward to buying my next set and will probably fit 35" since they will apparently go on the stock Ti Alloys. I spoke to a lot of people before I put them on and everybody who had them swore they were great. I had an old 85 Pajero and put them on that and they also were great. No punctures even in the Flinders where the roads are often covered with small razor sharp red shale stones. They have my vote.

They look great, grip bitumen really well and are not much noisier than the original Highway Terrain tyres that came standard. I run mine at 34 psi front and 36 psi rear. I let them down to about 28 when doing a lot of rock as they seem to flex and give a bit more. The strength in the sidewalls seems to be a big factor. On sand I let them down to 15 psi and they work really well.

I was warned by the Coopers agent here that the STT's are a bit noisy on bitumen, and not as good in the wet, so I think I will stick to the S/T for the moment.
    Last edited by fixer982; 27th May 2011 at 05:12 PM.
    GU Series 4 Ti, 3.0 CRD Auto with extra bits

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fixer982 For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (3rd April 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long time reader and first time participant of this site. I'm onto my 3rd Patrol, two GQ's back in the 90's and currently in a 2004 DX wagon 4.2TDi. I'm a very happy camper. Have had Coopers on my Patrols and had great mileage and hassle free runs. Look forward to members input and comments.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of great info and advice

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a set of studded Cooper Discoverer M+S for my Safari. So far they seem to be okay on snow but I have only had one snow day to test them. Tomorrow I am heading up to the interior so should have about 500 kms of more of snow highways to see how they run.

My wife's Safari has my old studded Hakkapeliitta LT. They now have 3 winter season on them and still stick to snow and ice better than most new snow and ice tires. I just could not afford the money for them this time on my Safari.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!! Studded tyres. Have driven above the snow line in Oz on many, many occasions - but have never seen a set of these. I guess our conditions are no where near as extreme as in North America. Still ........................ it would be like a chainsaw ripping along the tracks of the outback .................. hmmm.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave the studded Coopers a good test this weekend with a mixed bag of snow, compact snow, slush, black ice and wet roads. They did very well on everything - just about as good as the Nokians. On the black ice through the corners they still held but drifted quite a bit more than the Nokians. On compact snow they were brilliant doing 100 kph through corners posted at 80 kph. I caught up to and passed all the petro powered vehicles that had passed me climbing the hills.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Canuck - just a question. When the studs wear down do you replace them (do they screw out or something) or do they go all the way down to the belts of the tyre (as in when the studs are worn out, so is the tyre) ?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Hi Canuck - just a question. When the studs wear down do you replace them (do they screw out or something) or do they go all the way down to the belts of the tyre (as in when the studs are worn out, so is the tyre) ?
    The studs are shot into the stud hole with a stud gun - basically a nail gun for studs. Some tires come studded from the factory and usally have higher quality studs than most tires shops will have on hand. The studs usually last as long as the tire if they are quality studs. If you are always traveling on snow and ice, there is very little wear on the studs. I have snapped heads off of a few on drive tires with too much skinny pedal on wet pavement. You can get a shop to pull out the broken studs with pliers and put in new studs with a stud gun. If you have allowed debris to enter the stud hole, then most shops will put not put in a replacement stud.

You will note that many MT tires use to have holes for studs - some, like the Kumos, still have stud holes. An MT tire is not a great tire for snow for the same reason they are not great on sand - they tend to excavate too much. But because the rubber is softer than on an AT tire, I have known people who have gotten them studded and used them in the winter. <Some people just sipe them by hand and use them in the winter.> Personally, I think that is a waste of a set of tires because now you have a MT tire that can only be used in winter seasons which really will only be mediocre in winter conditions. You are far better off with a set of MTs for wheeling, ATs for highway and light off-road and studded winter tires for winter. The wife's Safari just has two sets. I know have 3 sets for mine, as I acquired a set of MTs this fall. Yes, it is more cash outlay at first but I won't be wearing out MTs on pavement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Cooper ST's. Rotated every 5,000km and wheel aligned 3 times in their 35,000kms.

At about 15,000 we noticed they had developed cracks all around the edge just below the tread.
    The dealer I bought them from had stopped selling Coopers so when I was in the big smoke I took the Troll into a distributor who put me on to the importer.
    He looked over the tyres and said we have looked after them and the cracks have no effect on the tread but he wouldn't like to have them on his vehicle so he gave us a deal on the original 6 we had. Two brand new ones (rear wheel carrier tyres) and 4 on the vehicle.

We now have 6 brand new Discover ST Cooper Tyres!
    So will see how these go.

Very impressed with the service.

YOU CAN SEE THE CRACKS AND THE MISSING CHUNKS!!

THE NEW DISCOVER ST
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snicko, what size s/t's did you end up with and how are you feeling about them? Can you post a side view pic. Interested in seeing how they look. Thinking about grabbing a set of these. But not sure about size. I have 06 Patrol with same wheels as yourself. Cant decide wether to go to more offset/bigger tire or go down to 16's and bigger and more offset or just stock wheels with same or larger tires.. aarrghh.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bastardo For This Useful Post:

snicko (14th January 2012)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast