Thread: '98 Patrol GUII, ST,4500 - towing caravan

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'98 Patrol GUII, ST,4500 - towing caravan

When towing a caravan (flat highway roads) is it better to drive in 5th. gear or 4th. gear. There is a general census of opinion it is better to drive in 4th. gear. The weight of the caravan is 1800Kg.
    Does driving in 5th. gear put a strain on the drive train and is the fuel economy better in 4th. gear.
    Thanks
    Last edited by lloyro; 17th February 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Weight of caravan added

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gidday , i tow in 5th down hill and tail wind , dx 4.2 d non turbo,2.5 ton all up, and economy is a little better, done 15000 ks in 3 months, other vanners i talk to tow in 5th when they can , when there is a chance of strain on drive train like head wind or hills always 4th , ( don't have much choice!), just be aware of the 5th gear issuewith some model patrols, cheers baz margret river

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bazz61 For This Useful Post:

lloyro (17th February 2012)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always tow in 4th am lot less strain on gearbox and better economy
    Your manual should tell you. with Ford and Holden they even recomend 3rd with their auto`s

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

lloyro (17th February 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazz61, It sounds as though my driving when towing is very similar to yours. I tow in 5th. when I can. I have installed a vacuum gauge that I refer to all the time, and tells me when I should go down a gear, but there are times when going down a gear is not enough. (flat road driving). Of course, when driving on the flat there is always the odd hills and swayles where it is neccessary to change down.
    I haven't noticed such a big change in economy except when driving on the flat and using 4th. gear the economy falls away. I should mention the vehicle is fitted with dual fuel and run predominately on LPG. If I approach a very steep hill I change to petrol for a bit more power. I normally travel at or close to 95kPH when towing for best economy.
    Last edited by lloyro; 17th February 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Name added

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearcey, Your response was the reason for my post on this subject, because I have often wondered when I am driving in 5th. whether I am putting too much load on the gear box. I recently had a new clutch fitted (although it was ok) and was amazed at just how large the gearbox was and appeared to be very sturdy. I do not do any serious 4 wheel driving with the vehicle. I tow in 5th. when I can. I have installed a vacuum gauge that I refer to all the time, and tells me when I should go down a gear, but there are times when going down a gear is not enough. (flat road driving). Of course, when driving on the flat there is always the odd hills and swayles where it is neccessary to change down.
    I haven't noticed such a big change in economy except when driving on the flat and using 4th. gear the economy falls away. I should mention the vehicle is fitted with dual fuel and run predominately on LPG. If I approach a very steep hill I change to petrol for a bit more power. I normally travel at or close to 95kPH when towing for best economy.
    Last edited by lloyro; 17th February 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: More info added

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldnt really tow in overdrive in any car regardless of make or model
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

lloyro (18th February 2012)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see some one using a vac Gage it`s a lost art.
    With me I tow around 1800 kg and my vehicle produces it`s max torque at around 22 to 2300 revs which equates to about 90 kph in the ie max power and economy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

lloyro (18th February 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't come across too many people who use a vacuum gauge. it really does give a reliable indication on the condition of the engine and how it is performing when towing. I have found 2400 rpm is my optimum in 4th. gear on the flat. I guess this answers my original question; there is less load on the drive train when towing in 4th. gear. Thank you to all for your input on this subject

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, tow in 5th when you can. Our 3.0lt Patrol Manual pulls our van of 2100kg. so with your 4.5lt with 1800kg, I don't know what the problem is..

If you are "in tune" with your vehicle and know its ability, then you will know when to change down.
    In ours, once I hit 2000rpm, I change back to 4th, the car will tell you.. Without the van,our baby runs well in 4th up to around 95-100kph, then up to 5th it goes.

Cheers
    Rick

Life is like a box of chocolates

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

lloyro (23rd February 2012)