GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken a photo of the tray, and a photo of the tray in the engine bay where I am planning on putting it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have missed which model but this is where mine is on my GU, this was already installed when I bought the rig

2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have heard stories about inner guards cracking apparently caused by fitting of a second battery.

If it was me, I would buy a battery tray kit from a reputable company, one that was designed to fit correctly and has support bracing.

The kit will come with everything required to fit the tray and will save you a lot of prefab time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I have heard stories about inner guards cracking apparently caused by fitting of a second battery.

If it was me, I would buy a battery tray kit from a reputable company, one that was designed to fit correctly and has support bracing.

The kit will come with everything required to fit the tray and will save you a lot of prefab time.
    X2 - I've seen many GQ with cracked inner guards, only a couple GU's. they have a lot of weight on them.

Cheers
    1998 GU TI LS1

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thirsty For This Useful Post:

Oversize (20th February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what you have lying round in the shed, Self tappers or nuts and bolts. metal or wood screws, plain, galvanised etc etc.
    You might be better getting a proper kit with a some adjustable brackets and proper screws.
    The carrier need to be fairly substantial, with a firm base.
    It's a big battery and needs to be mounted firmly, especially if you are on rugged roads.
    My battery also has a special bracket on top of the battery which braces it back to the body and stops it shaking around.
    Cheers and good luck

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myzathreeby View Post
    Depends what you have lying round in the shed, Self tappers or nuts and bolts. metal or wood screws, plain, galvanised etc etc.
    You might be better getting a proper kit with a some adjustable brackets and proper screws.
    The carrier need to be fairly substantial, with a firm base.
    It's a big battery and needs to be mounted firmly, especially if you are on rugged roads.
    My battery also has a special bracket on top of the battery which braces it back to the body and stops it shaking around.
    Cheers and good luck
    Thanks myza, I have taken your advice. Will post pics when its in.
    Kind regards,
    Louise
    Are you ready for Christmas?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I used the super cheap tray for my second battery, Go and get a length of flat aluminium bar, about a metre long, 25mm wide, 3mm thick. Cut two 100mm lengths. These are then bent in half at 90 degrees, give or take a bit. On the flat of the tray closest to the guard, I drilled two holes and used 30mm, 10g high tensile bolts and nuts. On the other side of the tray, Engine side I attached the two aluminium brackets then attatched the brackets to the lower inner guard with 30mm, 10g bolts and nuts. Had to drill a couple of holes here, but if you line up the brackets ther may be a couple of pre drilled holes.
    I used the left over aluminium bar to make a bracket that I attached to the guard above the overflow bottle and the other end to the side of the battery tray for support.
    Hope this gives you the general idea, not as hard as it sounds.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FrankW For This Useful Post:

belzi82 (2nd March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Hi, I used the super cheap tray for my second battery, Go and get a length of flat aluminium bar, about a metre long, 25mm wide, 3mm thick. Cut two 100mm lengths. These are then bent in half at 90 degrees, give or take a bit. On the flat of the tray closest to the guard, I drilled two holes and used 30mm, 10g high tensile bolts and nuts. On the other side of the tray, Engine side I attached the two aluminium brackets then attatched the brackets to the lower inner guard with 30mm, 10g bolts and nuts. Had to drill a couple of holes here, but if you line up the brackets ther may be a couple of pre drilled holes.
    I used the left over aluminium bar to make a bracket that I attached to the guard above the overflow bottle and the other end to the side of the battery tray for support.
    Hope this gives you the general idea, not as hard as it sounds.
    Sounds like a great idea. I was considering something similar, now just have to figure it out

Thanks Frank
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Belz,

My advice to you is the same as Yendor's.

To save all this mucking around take you tray back to SuperCheap and get your money back. Then go down to ARB and get yourself a purpose built tray (approx $100) designed for your vehicle. It will come with all the bolts and bracing that you will need to secure it to your model of vehicle. This is what I did.

I am pretty handy with this type of thing but there are some things you don't want to mess around with. You don't want the battery coming loose and banging around in you engine bay.

Regards,
    David.
    GU 2006 Cab Chassis
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing it frustrates the pig and wastes your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast