Thread: Warn Winch Service Manuals 6k to 12k

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Surely it would just be a lot easier with 2 people to lift?
    Once your back is better Cuppa it's an easy 2 person lift.
    Now thats KISS at its best lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Darren, I accept the roof is strong as you suggest & the beams will take the weight of a winch & bullbar ok, but I’m not getting up on the roof or working at 5.5m on a ladder. I have a shorter ladder which just gets me to the gutters to clean them. We used a scissor lift to put up the lights, hung to a level where my stepladder can reach This is way below where a sling would need to be attached.

You know, heights never used to bother me at all, but as I get older they & I are less compatible. It’s a common phenomena apparently. At one time I would have run around on that roof without a care. I’m rather more cautious now I’m closing in on 60. You might consider this a bit ‘wimpy’, if so, so be it........ but one thing is for sure, if I were going to do anything at 5.5 metres up it would be on a scissor lift with safety rails around me. I’ve had a fall off a ladder from only about 3 metres up & thought I’d broken my back. I was lucky. What is a couple of knocks easily ignored at 40 or younger is a whole different ball game 20 years later. Of course if you’ve worked at heights all your life the view might be a little different.
    Don't get me wrong cuppa, i was not really having a go or suggesting your "wimpy" mate. Heights are not really my thing either.

I was certainly getting frustrated with the suggestions the the shed was less than up to the task and that the only way to get a sling in place was on a Scissor lift! That just does my head in mate! It would not even make my list! It would be cheaper to call your local Electrician and ask him to send his Apprentice around with a long ladder for a box of beer, or local handy man, gardener, neighbour. Anyone with a long ladder and a roof rack would be cheaper than a scissor lift.

If that magnificent shed was in my back yard i would have a sling slung around your 3rd C Channel rafter just about the 3rd Tophat (between your lights and above your office chair). That seems to be your central work zone and having somewhere directly above your head that you can put a shackle and a Block on to work on things would be perfect. It can be 3.0m off the ground there mate, as long as you can reach the spot from your ladder to use the shackle.

There are plenty of ways to skin that cat though mate, a long pole to slip the top over the top of that rafter, a fishing pole with a smaller rope trace, whatever, you only have to do it once. You have been on the land long enough to put your mind to that little problem mate. Thats what you seemed to be over thinking to me mate.

Winnie is right, a second pair of hands would be the simplest, i agree. But the real context here is your other thread. You are looking for someone to come to your place and pull this winch off, strip it, rebuild it and then refit it (a full day, not just a lift off or on) and we were trying to find a way for you to get on with the job without that reliance. The task itself is fairly easy and everything you need to know to get the job done is in the start of this thread. You just need to get the winch off. I'm just trying to help. I have had a shed that big and i had to overcome this same problem. I can tell you that sling got plenty of work over the years.

Good luck wth it mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren, I recognise that a block & tackle would certainly come in useful from time to time, in fact I’ve already thought of another use.

It occurred to me that it would make putting the furniture I intend to store up on the /mezzanine floor up there far easier, & having looked have found a spot, mid-beam, which would work for this, and I can reach it standing on the Mezzanine floor without need for ladders. It is of course on the opposite side of the shed to the workshop area, but I would be able to manoeuvre the Patrol into position to do the winch.

Of course being mid-beam on a sloping beam, any sling I put over the beam will slide downward until a ’tophat’ prevents it sliding further. I realise that when lifting, the forces will be mainly vertical, but there will also be some force pulling the sling against the top hat (which is attached to the beam with two tek screws). I am not as certain as I’d like to be that the top hat would be strong enough in these circumstances. If you can confirm that, & I’m expecting you will, I’ve decided I’ll buy some gear.

As far as the gear goes, I was thinking a flat webbing type sling. However I found several other types in my search - rope, wire, round webbing. Reason I thought flat was that it would probably be best to spread the load as much as possible on the beam.

All of the smaller (500kg/1000kg) chain blocks I looked at new had chain lengths of 3 metres or less. I worked out that I need a minimum of 4 metres. On ebay there is a seller selling used chain blocks (end of project). These are branded units which I expect are going to be better quality than Chinese cheapies, but broadly speaking is a used chain block worth buying, or are they likely to be knackered or prone to failure. I’m thinking that for the limited use I’ll put it to there’s a reasonable chance they’d be just fine. The brands are Nobles, Boss, Beaver & Tuffy. $99 +14 postage except the Nobles which is $30 more. Any idea if the Nobles is worth paying a bit extra for or are they all much of a muchness?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chain-Hoi...IAAOSw0HVWA5ox

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chain-Hoi...sAAOSwknJXzGXi

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chain-Hoi...kAAOSwknJXzGaT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chain-Hoi...MAAOSwdIFXzGDT
    Last edited by Cuppa; 5th September 2016 at 07:35 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa, the one in that first link looks the goods. Looks to be in great nik too. I think buying a Noble would be like buying a second hand dawn vice.

I was looking at you mezzanine for height too and can see your step ladder there. If you can get the car over there then that's a winner mate.once it's off you can work on it at the bench, you just need support.

I would buy a continuous type loop sling and feed it through itself for a half hitch / lasso around that beam. It will tighten right up and really will place little stress on that top hat.

Although if your looking to load up on top of that mezzanine then your going to want your block right up near the beam. I was suggesting hanging it about level with your lights. You might get by with a chain double wrapped around that beam. Or an old 3m tree trunk protector wrapped twice around that beam the a shackle through both loops together would sit it maybe 800mm off the roof? A few more wraps would shorten it further.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good-o.
    I had been thinking a 1 metre sling which would have seen the top of the chain block around 400mm below the beam, but I’ve got some chain I can use to get it closer to the beam. I’ll get the Nobles block.

This shows where I think I’ll attach it. Horizontally it’s about 400-500mm outboard from the edge of the floor. A little further would have been better, but I think it’ll be workable & it’s easy to access.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th September 2016)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567