Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GQ Front Speakers WITH electric window

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Front Speakers WITH electric window

I have been reading and reading about stereo upgrades. I have brought 3 different speakers and i still have no luck has anyone done the upgrade with electric windows and what did you use? Speakers are too deep to mount and a spacer wont let me attach the door trim......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have overcome this Ryan

I had to figure this out a few years ago and this is what i did.

I saw that there really is a defined line in the trim so i cut off the bottom speaker cover section and made a new one.

Here is the pattern i made

I used that onto 19mm MDF and cut out the new speaker mount and worked the round with the router. (12mm radius) then painted it with Charcoal Hammertone paint

I have also used a line of gold coloured self drilling tek screws to hold on the door car because the clips gave up the ghost a long time ago. Works a treat and looks ok. (Bit dirty in that pic, sorry)

Hope that helps you mate, i might put that together in the DIY section too.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th February 2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Airstrike (15th February 2012), Flo-w (14th June 2012), rusty_nail (15th February 2012), YNOT (15th February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus thats talent..... If only u made a few sets to sell lol
    Last edited by Airstrike; 15th February 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Jesus that talent..... If only u made a few sets to sell lol
    What he's saying mate, is how much for a set for him and a set for me??? lmao ...

No ... really!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Sony speakers in the front doors, and because of the Elect windows I had 2 space it out a bit, Still am using the original TI speaker covers

I would try finding plastic spacers 2 suit as the mdf will swell and fall apart if it gets moisture in the door.....just like the bottom of my spacers have done

Attachment 9851

I need a set of new speakers as the one in the divers door ( one in pic ) Is pretty much stuffed, hence the bit of cardboard you can see

Will be interesting 2 see what you end up doing
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 15th February 2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    What he's saying mate, is how much for a set for him and a set for me??? lmao ...

No ... really!!!

LOL Yes what I am saying that what wouldnt Big rig and i have to do LOL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used 3 different Slim line and Ultra thin speakers from JBL, Kenwood and fusion they will all need some sort of spacing so i guess time to hack the plastic.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Cheers Ryan and Scotty, i am pretty happy with how this mod came up for sure. Fortunately at the time i owned and ran a cabinet making business and whipped these out in my workshop, i still have most of the tools needed to do these just not really setup for it though. If i ever sort out the shed and can get to those machines again i'll let you know for sure guys. I still have the patterns. If you have a look at the line that i cut the grill off at there is a defined line and the top of the grill sorts out the edge.

Todd The MDF in this case has served me very well. I have fully painted the mounts and they have ben well underwater, in fact the car has been above the roof.....That is another story. Because they are painted they have performed well. MDF will be ok in water for a time , it will take a little while to swell up, get it out of the water before that happens and it will be ok. Paint it and it will not suck the water in (well much slower) I did this mod to the GQ about 8 years ago and this is the only set i have done for this car.

A bloke with a hack saw and a jig saw could get something together to do this job. Maybe not as pretty but functional all the same.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys. I like it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Airstrike (15th February 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine's similar to MudRunner's, but not as good.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey Cheers Ryan and Scotty, i am pretty happy with how this mod came up for sure. Fortunately at the time i owned and ran a cabinet making business and whipped these out in my workshop, i still have most of the tools needed to do these just not really setup for it though. If i ever sort out the shed and can get to those machines again i'll let you know for sure guys. I still have the patterns. If you have a look at the line that i cut the grill off at there is a defined line and the top of the grill sorts out the edge.

Todd The MDF in this case has served me very well. I have fully painted the mounts and they have ben well underwater, in fact the car has been above the roof.....That is another story. Because they are painted they have performed well. MDF will be ok in water for a time , it will take a little while to swell up, get it out of the water before that happens and it will be ok. Paint it and it will not suck the water in (well much slower) I did this mod to the GQ about 8 years ago and this is the only set i have done for this car.

A bloke with a hack saw and a jig saw could get something together to do this job. Maybe not as pretty but functional all the same.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys. I like it.
    WOW is that painted MDF?!?!? i thought the MDF was a template then you knocked up some vinyl coated plastic. very good job sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast