OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you have one, if not, why?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have one and use it

4 12.90%
  • Yes I have one and don't use it as I can't be bothered getting it out each time for a crossing

2 6.45%
  • No, don't have one, don't think I would use it

14 45.16%
  • Don't have one but would like one

7 22.58%
  • Other - Please reply below

5 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a water crossing car bra?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one as I use a tarp. I have a rule that most things I carry must have a dual purpose this keeps the weight down and things you think you might use out of the car.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several reasons I don't need a car bra.
    1. I drive a GU
    2. I've got a snorkle
    3. I love the water and drive it like I stole it. LOL (just kidding)
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    There are several reasons I don't need a car bra.
    1. I drive a GU
    2. I've got a snorkle
    3. I love the water and drive it like I stole it. LOL (just kidding)
    That's a "few".. waiting for the rest of the reasons! :P

I'd only have a Car Bra for crossings if I had a Petrol engine. That's why I bought diesels.

Even though the 2.8 has an ECU, there's no point in getting a car bra. If you're in water so deep that your worried about the electronics.. the car bra ain't gonna magically wrap itself around the ECU and protect it. As far as I was aware, Car Bras are used to create a bow wave in front of the car so as to create a small air buffer between the water and the airbox intake. Basically, use it if you do not have a snorkel.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    That's a "few".. waiting for the rest of the reasons! :P

I'd only have a Car Bra for crossings if I had a Petrol engine. That's why I bought diesels.

Even though the 2.8 has an ECU, there's no point in getting a car bra. If you're in water so deep that your worried about the electronics.. the car bra ain't gonna magically wrap itself around the ECU and protect it. As far as I was aware, Car Bras are used to create a bow wave in front of the car so as to create a small air buffer between the water and the airbox intake. Basically, use it if you do not have a snorkel.
    yes that is part of the reason.

The whole point of the bow wave is to displace the water and redirect it. The bow wave is an indication of that displacement. Basically by creating a bow wave you are also creating a pressure bubble in the engine bay, done right you will have a dry engine bay and all the water getting pushed out of the way instead of going through your grill. Turn a glass upside down and submerge it for the same result. A pressure bubble. Obviously if you come to a stop then your engine bay will flood and all will be a waist of time. Keep it moving with a good strong bow wave and your engine and electronics will remain dry.

Obviously the diesel engine is far more forgiving of water and is not so much a problem in this regard but you will find your car behaves in the water differently with a bow wave and pressure bubble versus a flooded engine bay, the flooded engine bay feels like a bit of an anchor to be honest.

I felt a massive change in the way the GQ behaves in deep water now that it has a bonnet scoop! most Turbo Diesels do now and maybe the science is out the window now?? I found in deep crossings that i can feel the bay flood and the lack of a pressure bubble due to the leak from the scoop saw the thing just let it straight in and the bow wave was a little more difficult to achieve without a bra. With a flooded engine bay the bow wave must be trying to form at the fire wall as well!! Feels like crap.

I had a mate with a similar setup and a scoop put a bra on and his car drove much better through the crossing and the bow wave seemed to act properly.

on the other hand i might have imagined it Makes sense to my logic though, i certainly saw it in mine.

I will use one next time.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th February 2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Timbo (14th February 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope aint got one but will have to get one before we go to the cape as the petrol is scared of water
    Trollette, the angriest shorty in Victoria

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    yes that is part of the reason.

The whole point of the bow wave is to displace the water and redirect it. The bow wave is an indication of that displacement. Basically by creating a bow wave you are also creating a pressure bubble in the engine bay, done right you will have a dry engine bay and all the water getting pushed out of the way instead of going through your grill. Turn a glass upside down and submerge it for the same result. A pressure bubble. Obviously if you come to a stop then your engine bay will flood and all will be a waist of time. Keep it moving with a good strong bow wave and your engine and electronics will remain dry.

Obviously the diesel engine is far more forgiving of water and is not so much a problem in this regard but you will find your car behaves in the water differently with a bow wave and pressure bubble versus a flooded engine bay, the flooded engine bay feels like a bit of an anchor to be honest.

I felt a massive change in the way the GQ behaves in deep water now that it has a bonnet scoop! most Turbo Diesels do now and maybe the science is out the window now?? I found in deep crossings that i can feel the bay flood and the lack of a pressure bubble due to the leak from the scoop saw the thing just let it straight in and the bow wave was a little more difficult to achieve without a bra. With a flooded engine bay the bow wave must be trying to form at the fire wall as well!! Feels like crap.

I had a mate with a similar setup and a scoop put a bra on and his car drove much better through the crossing and the bow wave seemed to act properly.

on the other hand i might have imagined it Makes sense to my logic though, i certainly saw it in mine.

I will use one next time.

Thanks for the detailed reply mate, very insightful. I guess if you're doing a lot of river crossings where the water is up to the door handles then a Car Bra would be a great investment, even on a diesel. Can't be too careful!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have one, but haven't had a need to use it as yet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use a tarp with my old car and a friend has the bra however we went through a small river (King River in the Vic High Country) and she got water into the engine with the bra on. Her mechanic pretty much said the best thing for river crossings is a snorkel or a tarp/bra as a last resort but he would not recommend using it all the time for crossings. He recommended to get a snorkel installed as in the long run it is cheaper and there is nearly a zero chance of water getting into the air intake.
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one have a 4.2td snorkel viscous fan and a small tarp, ground sheet I carry for Toyota repairs if needed would use that

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a tarp if need be!!!! dont really have to many water crossings that high!!!

Scotty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast