Thread: Communications--2 way etc

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Communications--2 way etc

few weeks ago I saw a product that was a Satellite from mobile phone device. Basically a small "box" that sends and receives satellite traffic when no mobile coverage is available. It cost around $275. I have not been able to find the reference. Anyone got help on this one?
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gary View Post
    few weeks ago I saw a product that was a Satellite from mobile phone device. Basically a small "box" that sends and receives satellite traffic when no mobile coverage is available. It cost around $275. I have not been able to find the reference. Anyone got help on this one?
    Is it like a sat phone and a GSM phone in one??

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... never heard of that one. Was it available/approved/seen in Aussie?

I spose you could have a blu tooth connection to a dumb terminal but using individual GSM connection and up converting to Sat freq's would have heaps of issues I would have thought... not like the multi user cells on Aircraft or remote communities.

There are Satphones that will take your terrestial Sim so all you have to do is swap the Sim between phones.

It wasn't a VOIP box was it that use Satellite Internet or a Sat based Tracker?
    Last edited by the evil twin; 3rd February 2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a little while ago on pat callinan 4x4 they had something like that. It was a phone that could be used as a gsm mobile and/or a sat phone. it was the size of a nokia with a flip out antenna.

edit: here are some dual gsm/sat phones. http://www.thurayaphones.com.au/
    have a look at the bottom phone. Thuraya SG-2520.

edit 2: and here is one for sale http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THURAYA-S...ht_3875wt_1163
    Last edited by Mazodude; 3rd February 2012 at 04:23 PM.
    "Gunter" - 1993 Nissan Patrol GQ DX II, 6cyl 4.2L Diesel. 2" Lift EFS suspension. 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ (285/75 R16). Warn Winch