Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fit a Pertronix Electronic Ignition system to your GQ TB42

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How to fit a Pertronix Electronic Ignition system to your GQ TB42 (with pics)

so yesterday i installed my pertronix 1762LS (lobe sensing) electronic ignition system. i reckon this job should take about 10 minutes but the instructions were not very good, and seeing as ive never changed points before i had no idea what to look for when following the very brief instructions. if i had somthing like below i reckon i would have been able to knock it over alot quicker. here is my guide below to assist anyone that wants to do the same and needs help:

you can see the slits i have made in the rubber

so there you have it. after doing all that you obviously need to put all the covers back on. i found that the ignitor sat a bit high and pressed slightly on the plastic cover that goes back on first but started the car and let it run then pulled it apart and inspected and there was no damage to speak of.

as to noticing a difference, the car started with just a touch on the ignition and idled really nice. im yet to take it for a drive as the interior is all stripped out, but it climbs really nicely through the revs when reving at a stop. again, cant mention anything about economy change as i wont be able to drive it for another couple of weeks, but i will keep everyone posted as soon as i am able to start working out that sort of thing.

if anyone has any questions about that i did, please let me know and if i know the answer ill be glad to help!

cheers,

Nic
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 2nd February 2012 at 02:20 PM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Bob (9th February 2015), damaverick (8th October 2012), JEDDAWY (29th February 2016), kevin07 (7th February 2015), MudRunnerTD (1st February 2012), ozzyboy (1st February 2012), ripper (12th April 2012), riskset (1st May 2012), swerver (11th March 2015), Trolatron (5th February 2012), tusman (7th February 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps for that nic. I think I will fit one in the near future. Where did you get it?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (1st February 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top write up mate - well done!!
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 11th April 2012 at 10:19 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (1st February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Thanks heaps for that nic. I think I will fit one in the near future. Where did you get it?
    got it off ebay... was soooooooo cheap, $130, from a seller who has been mentioned on here before, ponderosamustangco. it was shipped from the US, and it took 2 and a half weeks to arrive (but im pretty regional so cant blame him) well worth the wait tho

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rusty nail, Did your instructions say anything about turning down a flange, I have recently brought a Pertronix kit and it says I have to do this? Thanks again mate awsome thred
    Trollette, the angriest shorty in Victoria

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hey tusman,

no there was no mention of changing anything on the car, the reason for this was that if somehing were to go wrong with the unit, i would be able to just re attach the old "point system" as a backup. what kit did you get? mine was the Pertronix Ignitor 1762LS(lobe sensing).

cheers,

nic

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

tusman (8th February 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mate, Mine is the pertronix 1762 (so I'm assuming it's not lobe sensing) and the instructions say the distributor must be removed from the car and a flange on the distributor shaft has to be Machined to 0.624 of an Inch. Other than that the instructions do seem similar to your post.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah mate, the lobe sensing does not require machining. if i can suggest you take the unit you got back and see if you can replace it for lobe sensing unit. i thought this was essential as it maybe be annoying to replace and re-adjust points but when if somthing goes wrong and you have to buy a whole $xxx amount unit its way more expensive and risky...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

tusman (9th February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tusman View Post
    Thanks Mate, Mine is the pertronix 1762 (so I'm assuming it's not lobe sensing) and the instructions say the distributor must be removed from the car and a flange on the distributor shaft has to be Machined to 0.624 of an Inch. Other than that the instructions do seem similar to your post.
    Thanks again
    You have the Hall Effect (Magnet type and very reliable), the kit will have a black tube with green tape on it and a white tube.
    The black tube has the magnets and has to sit over the lobes.
    The flange just under the rotor button is a bit big and has to be machined down to let the tube slide down to the lobes, the white tube is a spacer that sits on top of the black tube under the rotor button.
    The machining takes 5 minutes in a lathe, if you want to keep this kit and have problems getting the flange turned down PM me, I'll do it for free if you send the lobes piece to me with a return addressed envelope.
    That goes for anyone on the forum.
    Jeff

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jc58nc For This Useful Post:

jjgq89 (20th August 2013), tusman (9th February 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback and thanks Jaff thats a very generous offer mate, I do have access to a lathe so should be right.

tus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tusman For This Useful Post:

healy (11th November 2013)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast