OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 933 of 1046 FirstFirst ... 4338338839239319329339349359439831033 ... LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,330 of 10454

Thread: What did you do to your Patrol today!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you know what you are getting into PeeBee,

The issue which concerned me, the over 20% charging current with possible shortened battery lifespan is a matter of choice. Fair enough.

It is also a matter of choice to accept shortened battery lifespan resulting from only charging them to 80% Soc on a regular basis. It is my belief that this is the reason that people generally get 5 years or less from crank batteries.

Alternatives which result in longer battery lifespan may well not be cost effective however.

If you were so inclined I for one would be interested to hear how the system works out over time.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (8th January 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    It sounds like you know what you are getting into PeeBee,

The issue which concerned me, the over 20% charging current with possible shortened battery lifespan is a matter of choice. Fair enough.

It is also a matter of choice to accept shortened battery lifespan resulting from only charging them to 80% Soc on a regular basis. It is my belief that this is the reason that people generally get 5 years or less from crank batteries.

Alternatives which result in longer battery lifespan may well not be cost effective however.

If you were so inclined I for one would be interested to hear how the system works out over time.
    I will absolutely let you know if this works out for the better, the worse or otherwise. Since I cooked both the CTEK units, or at least I believe I did - 10G might want to test the 250 out, what is a simple high efficiency solar panel controller for 400w of panels/ I did use a Bobier unit many years ago, however it has 'robbing' me of a full volt during the control and regulation of the panels. I am not focused on cost, however would like a balance with performance is perhaps a better way to put it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I will absolutely let you know if this works out for the better, the worse or otherwise. Since I cooked both the CTEK units, or at least I believe I did - 10G might want to test the 250 out, what is a simple high efficiency solar panel controller for 400w of panels/ I did use a Bobier unit many years ago, however it has 'robbing' me of a full volt during the control and regulation of the panels. I am not focused on cost, however would like a balance with performance is perhaps a better way to put it.
    The Victron MPPT 100/30 should keep you happy & at reasonable price on ebay. (Around $250) https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-100-50-EN.pdf

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Victron MPPT 100/30 should keep you happy & at reasonable price on ebay. (Around $250) https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-100-50-EN.pdf
    Thanks Cuppa, just bought one. Didn't want the options so just the stand alone unit.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My expectation of the solar matches yours MR, I only mentioned it as a 'clunky alternative to re-charging a 400Ah battery bank if it had been severely depleted by winching use, if the 300A alternator were not used. It could be a 3 day job. I can't see what connecting the 400Ah batteries in series would achieve - it would not increase the stored capacity, only the voltage (although this would allow for smaller connecting cables). The need for current regulation of a 300Amp alternator feeding into the 400AH battery ban would remain surely. The reason I suggested the possible need to have the 300A alternator only switched through to the 400Ah battery bank was in the absence of any means of regulating the output in normal circumstances when winch9ng was not occurring. I didn't suggest (I dont think) that it should be connected to a single battery, (Ie the crank battery) as this would have pretty much the same issue. What I did suggest was a two alternator setup, with the 300A one restricted to winch use only, unless there were some means of regulating it's current output.

I don't understand your comment about a shared load - shared with what?

It is all conjecture on my part. If you have a 300A alternator, or know of others who do, charging lead based battery banks of less than say 1200Ah how is yours (or theirs) set up? Maybe I am imagining a problem which doesn't exist?

To be honest the more I think about it the more I think a change of battery type to LiFePo4 is probably the best, albeit rather expensive, solution.
    Hi mate, I am.on the phone so can't be shagged scrubbing out all the text but my comment regarding shared load and running the batteries in series was applying the logic (which is all I have) that if there is 400amps of battery storage available then allow theb300amp to be delivered to all of it at once rather than one at a time until each fills.

1 x 400lt tank will fill evenly rather than 4 x 100lt tanks 1 at a time. This may be truly floored but makes sense in my head. I am way way out of my comfort zone. Phil is all over it and clearly knows his stuff. I have learnt plenty here. I am.juat trying to apply some "First Principles" as this is how I function when developing Engineering strategies for work. You guys are covering plenty of detail on the fine points though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, I am.on the phone so can't be shagged scrubbing out all the text but my comment regarding shared load and running the batteries in series was applying the logic (which is all I have) that if there is 400amps of battery storage available then allow theb300amp to be delivered to all of it at once rather than one at a time until each fills.

1 x 400lt tank will fill evenly rather than 4 x 100lt tanks 1 at a time. This may be truly floored but makes sense in my head. I am way way out of my comfort zone. Phil is all over it and clearly knows his stuff. I have learnt plenty here. I am.juat trying to apply some "First Principles" as this is how I function when developing Engineering strategies for work. You guys are covering plenty of detail on the fine points though.
    No worries MR. Your thinking about 'shared storage' makes sense. It is actually the normal way to charge multiple batteries - to have them connected together in a battery bank. Essentially two ways of doing that, either in parallel, or in series.
    By connecting them in parallel the nominal voltage of the single battery is maintained & the amp hours of the single battery multiplied the number of batteries.
    By connecting them in series the nominal voltage of the single battery is multiplied by the number of batteries & the amp hours remains that of the single battery.
    Both still hold the same amount of 'power' but with 24v the amp hours consumed by an appliance are halved using 24v compared to 12v. This is why higher voltage systems can use thinner cables.

Importantly (in the context of our discussion) by connecting the batteries together, the charging source treats the batteries as a 'single battery'. which is what your thinking had correctly led you to. When you had referred to load sharing it confused me, as this generally refers to sharing 'load', ie what is being powered by the battery, so I was trying to imagine something to essentially take the place of the Winch (when it is not in use) to share the load. Eg. A bloody great heater hanging off the rear bumper!

Parallel.jpgSeries.jpg

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (12th January 2020), MudRunnerTD (8th January 2020), PeeBee (8th January 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect it is damaged, simply because it was showing two orange lights on the solar panel to battery link, however the main green function light was gree, I am more than happy t send it to you, no issue as its no good to me with this system anyway. PM me with an address and I will box it up and send it across, sort of a belated Xmas pressy to you!!!
    OK, PM sent, nothing heard back, assume you don't want the unit, so its going in the bin.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect it is damaged, simply because it was showing two orange lights on the solar panel to battery link, however the main green function light was gree, I am more than happy t send it to you, no issue as its no good to me with this system anyway. PM me with an address and I will box it up and send it across, sort of a belated Xmas pressy to you!!!
    Sorry mate, I only just saw the post. I'll PM you my address. Many thanks mate.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Sorry mate, I only just saw the post. I'll PM you my address. Many thanks mate.
    OK< no problems, will post it tomorrow, hope it works for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I noticed an offcut of dyneema 8 had hanging on a hook in the shed. Off a larger roll I bought a few years ago. Thought I should do something with that!!

Finished with a brand new 5m winch extension rope in 10mm Dyneema.

Very happy. Good handy length.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (9th January 2020)

Page 933 of 1046 FirstFirst ... 4338338839239319329339349359439831033 ... LastLast