OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 925 of 926 FirstFirst ... 425825875915923924925926 LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,250 of 9253

Thread: What did you do to your Patrol today!

In Moderation
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,811 Times in 4,825 Posts
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I'm hearing you all the way Marky! They're definitely the best bang for buck draws out there that are tough as nails.
    But farkin' heavy. And that goes for most draw systems out there. I've never been a fan of it, tbh. I just threw a set in the GU cause I scored one for a carton.
    I like the convenience. But constant GU weight bearing in the rear and losing out on so much room is a downfall.

These expedition tubs setups are starting to grow on me though.
    I do agree these are heavy, but I love them. I keep all tools and parts in one draw and food in the other. Fridge is on top and caged, and while there little room left, its enough. But everything is safe and secure. And my wine and whiskey are bubble wrapped and stashed in the side pocket areas too!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (6th November 2019), Rossco (6th November 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 528 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I'm hearing you all the way Marky! They're definitely the best bang for buck draws out there that are tough as nails.
    But farkin' heavy. And that goes for most draw systems out there. I've never been a fan of it, tbh. I just threw a set in the GU cause I scored one for a carton.
    I like the convenience. But constant GU weight bearing in the rear and losing out on so much room is a downfall.

These expedition tubs setups are starting to grow on me though.
    That's where the idea came from mate - the weight compromise of the drawer system and then not being able to throw kids bikes in the back of the wagon anymore. Now I have a big pod setup where it all comes out in ten mins and I can still take a load of rubbish to the dump. Yep, there are still compromises (especially with the vehicle itself), but the pod is what it is all about.
    Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD, but sold the soul and now driving a 79 series dual cab. Yes, a Tojo on the Patrol Forum! Also having fun trying to build the ultimate Expedition Grade storage box.
    www.openskytouring.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (6th November 2019), Hodge (6th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,030 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I do agree these are heavy, but I love them. I keep all tools and parts in one draw and food in the other. Fridge is on top and caged, and while there little room left, its enough. But everything is safe and secure. And my wine and whiskey are bubble wrapped and stashed in the side pocket areas too!
    Yeah I'm another fan of drawers one of the best things done to 4by 4 sure, love em. Each to their own can be a very personal thing when it comes to packing lol. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Hodge (6th November 2019), mudski (6th November 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 Times in 2,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah I'm another fan of drawers one of the best things done to 4by 4 sure, love em. Each to their own can be a very personal thing when it comes to packing lol. . .
    While I don't share your enthusiasm for the draws, I agree on their convenience if it suits the person. Especially for longer travel / trips. I loved my draws at the start, neat and tidy setup. Especially cause I got them basically for nothing. But as time went on they began annoying the s**** out of me. lol
    Rossco nailed it, what works for others is a nuisance for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    That's where the idea came from mate - the weight compromise of the drawer system and then not being able to throw kids bikes in the back of the wagon anymore. Now I have a big pod setup where it all comes out in ten mins and I can still take a load of rubbish to the dump. Yep, there are still compromises (especially with the vehicle itself), but the pod is what it is all about.
    I've always used tubs, usually el cheapo bunnings junk, then later on upgraded to dearer longer lasting units. Call me a tubber if you will. lol Even after I got draws, I found my self packing food in a tub like I've always done. And at camp that food tub comes out and sits next to my table / cooking setup. This eliminates constantly going into the rear of the car, opening doors, draws, and rear bar swing away units ( another nuisance separate subject). If I'm staying for longer than a day / night I usually take the fridge out as well, especially in summer, so then none of it sits in a hot car. Easier access.
    And being a daily driver, when I come home those tubs come out in minutes and sit in the garage ready for next time.

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'm a tubber as well. I've never had drawers. The first thing I did when I got the Patrol was build a rack for the rear of it. I have one drawer. I like tubs as I just take the entire thing out when camping.

Here's an old pic, it's a bit fuller with stuff these days ...

20160903_173431.jpg
    Last edited by 10G; 6th November 2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: aded photo

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (6th November 2019), Yeti's Beast (6th November 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Front wheel bearings got replaced.
    And just finished diff oils. Cogbox and transfer tomorrow as I had enough for one day lol.
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (6th November 2019), mudnut (6th November 2019), Yeti's Beast (6th November 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How often should you do your wheel bearings?? I got 165000 on the Patrol.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    I'm no expert on this mate. Someone more confident on this may answer. I don't know what regular interval is recommended.
    But I believe it depends on style, type of driving you put your vehicle through. If you're a constant mud, bog hole basher Id be looking at them more often for water ingress etc...
    Mine got re-packed at 90,000 and apparently looked good. Yesterday they got done at 140,000 and still looked ok but i got them replaced anyway. Under $200 for timken or nsk and while its all apart its a no brainer.
    I also checked mine for tightness very 10k or so...
    2005 TD42TI

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

10G (8th November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,008 Times in 2,551 Posts
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Bought my car at 153,000kms. Telstra records show that front bearings had been replaced at every 5000km service prior to me getting it! I suspect it was a case of the company (in Alice Springs) doing the service for Telstra making a bit extra - nothing was repaired, any issue - replacement parts fitted (including a brand new front diff & a radio just before Telstra got rid of it.

Checked & repacked them just after I bought it & again when I fitted new pads & discs at 166,000k.
    Rechecked & repacked them again at 203,000 prior to commencing our current trip. They were still fine. However a wheel nut jammed on a stud (Chrome aftermarket 'blind studs I had fitted had chrome peel off inside, jamming the thread & making tightening or loosening impossible - result in a sheared off stud. Not impressed! Put original wheel nuts back on all round. Glad it happened at home. Have another full set of unused Huntsman chrome wheel nuts back home for all four wheels if anyone needs them & wants to take the risk!!

Rear bearings were replaced at 203k - one side had blued up a little & the other side was showing minimal evidence of the oil seal leaking. Had a workshop do that job. They are much bigger than the fronts, but get a harder life if they are in a heavy vehicle. AFAIK they were the originals from the factory.

I do carry a spare set of front bearings with us just in case, & once in a while check for looseness, but haven't found any yet. At 229k with much of the past 26k on rough dusty roads & a few water crossings I should probably do so again now whilst I have access to a concrete floor under cover. Have just added that task to my 230k service.

Checking & re-packing is a bit time consuming, mucky, but not difficult. Buy some replacements plus inner seals & put a day aside for the job. After cleaning all the old grease off & eyeing the bearings up for any obvious damage, I check the cups with a fingernail. Replace if *any* ridge is felt. Replace seals anyway once the old ones are disturbed. Chances are the bearings will be fine & can be repacked & replaced. If so you have a set of spares for touring (but get a couple more seals). If not, you have what you need to finish the job.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th November 2019 at 10:26 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, 240v, 3 Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2 lift, Lovells GVM upgrade, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697s, Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, Tyredog TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life
    The Big Trip Blog

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

10G (8th November 2019), Hodge (8th November 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Bought my car at 153,000kms. Telstra records show that front bearings had been replaced at every 5000km service prior to me getting it! I suspect it was a case of the company (in Alice Springs) doing the service for Telstra making a bit extra - nothing was repaired, any issue - replacement parts fitted (including a brand new front diff & a radio just before Telstra got rid of it.

Checked & repacked them just after I bought it & again when I fitted new pads & discs at 166,000k.
    Rechecked & repacked them again at 203,000 prior to commencing our current trip. They were still fine. However a wheel nut jammed on a stud (Chrome aftermarket 'blind studs I had fitted had chrome peel off inside, jamming the thread & making tightening or loosening impossible - result in a sheared off stud. Not impressed! Put original wheel nuts back on all round. Glad it happened at home. Have another full set of unused Huntsman chrome wheel nuts back home for all four wheels if anyone needs them & wants to take the risk!!

Rear bearings were replaced at 203k - one side had blued up a little & the other side was showing minimal evidence of the oil seal leaking. Had a workshop do that job. They are much bigger than the fronts, but get a harder life if they are in a heavy vehicle. AFAIK they were the originals from the factory.

I do carry a spare set of front bearings with us just in case, & once in a while check for looseness, but haven't found any yet. At 229k with much of the past 26k on rough dusty roads & a few water crossings I should probably do so again now whilst I have access to a concrete floor under cover. Have just added that task to my 230k service.

Checking & re-packing is a bit time consuming, mucky, but not difficult. Buy some replacements plus inner seals & put a day aside for the job. After cleaning all the old grease off & eyeing the bearings up for any obvious damage, I check the cups with a fingernail. Replace if *any* ridge is felt. Replace seals anyway once the old ones are disturbed. Chances are the bearings will be fine & can be repacked & replaced. If so you have a set of spares for touring (but get a couple more seals). If not, you have what you need to finish the job.
    Thanks for the info Cuppa.

You fellas say you repack the bearings, but don't you have to remove the bearings to do that and aren't wheel bearings usually bloody hard to get off??? I've not looked at the Patrol bearings, but from the very little I've had experience with, I've had to whack new bearings on with a mallet in one case and in another we had to use an oxy to get some old ones off.

Page 925 of 926 FirstFirst ... 425825875915923924925926 LastLast