OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 842 of 1049 FirstFirst ... 342742792832840841842843844852892942 ... LastLast
Results 8,411 to 8,420 of 10487

Thread: What did you do to your Patrol today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Changing out the front rotors yesterday arvo on the GU and got some good use out of a breaker bar and torque wrench that I made as a first year fitter and machinist apprentice (1971). Back then, they taught well, also made wheel pullers, vices, socket bar extension, ratchet wrenches etc, still use them.

The rotors were stubborn but got it sorted. Used a stand and square brass dolly under the wheel stud to crack and torque up (worked a treat). Off to another Doc appointment. Rear rotors and pads tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

jack (6th July 2018), MB (6th July 2018), mudski (6th July 2018), PeeBee (6th July 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Fitted this

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    That looks awesome mate.
    What brand is it ??

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    That looks awesome mate.
    What brand is it ??

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    Bought it off gumtree, brand new from a mob in Craigieburn. Had to cut around the towbar as it didn't have a cutout and needed to buy new lights as the ones it came with we illegal(only had indicators no brake or tail light), modified existing factory mud flaps to still fit and had to make up the number plate mount as there was no place for it. It's ok quality but tbh you get what you pay for, it was $800 including the spare tyre and Jerry can holder. Had to spend an extra$20 on number plate lights and $20 on led indicators but still happy with the result.

I wouldn't buy this unless you are prepared to get your hands dirty, it definitely didn't just bolt on lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (6th July 2018), katwoman (6th July 2018), MB (7th July 2018), MudRunnerTD (11th July 2018), neet_wagon (11th October 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Early this morning, before going to bed, finished changing out front/rear disk brake rotors and pads, dba slotted T2 rotors and Bendix pads HD (rear) and some Ferodo 4WD (front).

New Jonny Tig intercooler did not arrive yesterday, that will have to wait a few weeks now "dissapointed". Has been in Sydney freight depot since Thursday 5.30am (slack).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (7th July 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally finished the TB42 Brake upgrade. Problems experienced were mostly due to lack of attention to detail. I had the calipers installed with the bleed nipples to the bottom, which is why I could not get the air out, so swapped them over to opposite sides of the truck, and bingo, job finished in 10 minutes!. Pedal feel is different to the single pots, less pressure on pedal for same brake effect, now looking to try and even the braking front to rear as it locks up the fronts in the wet under hard braking. Need to revisit the wheel bearing adjustm,ent also as the hubs were hot to touch after a 5klm drive.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bidja (7th July 2018), Rossco (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Finally finished the TB42 Brake upgrade. Problems experienced were mostly due to lack of attention to detail. I had the calipers installed with the bleed nipples to the bottom, which is why I could not get the air out, so swapped them over to opposite sides of the truck, and bingo, job finished in 10 minutes!. Pedal feel is different to the single pots, less pressure on pedal for same brake effect, now looking to try and even the braking front to rear as it locks up the fronts in the wet under hard braking. Need to revisit the wheel bearing adjustm,ent also as the hubs were hot to touch after a 5klm drive.
    Good that the brakes are coming together, the lessons we have forgotten until one does it again..-

Never have used torque wrench on any wheel bearing ever. Noted you have the GU wheel bearing pre load adjustment nut etc:

change out the nuts, lock washer and screws, plus buy a spanner that fits.
    Firstly I do not over pack out hubs with grease maybe 3/4 max available space (with fingers) between races and and use say a 15"" bar to tighten up the pre-load adjust ring nut (only firm pressure to get a solid feel on ring nut and rotate hub back and forth as you tighten "subjective" but I rather have control of how it feels). Then have a look where the lock washer hole align up an back off slightly to locate the lock screws. And of course after 300-500km or so hundred kms check pre-load after settle in period. Yes heat is a good indicator, mine only ever get warm, not hot and of course no feel of bearing side slap with wheel jacked up off the ground.

A decent size re build job there.

John

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (7th July 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, yes it is a task and a half, especially when its been 25yrs since I did the last one!! Anyway, darren's build thread was a saving grace up to a point, then it was a case of trying to resolve the 'illogical' and this happened a couple of times. Happy its basically done, just need to find another window to revisit the wheel bearings, which should not take too long. The GU wheel brg nuts were standard on my model , July 1997, so last shipment from japan. They are simplicity, however the studs fitted to the spanners are very weak. I broke one and have since refurbished it using button head unbrako screws and this is much better, tapped the holes and loctited the screw into the spanner.

Unfortunately there is no actual rebuild or assy process avail for the TB42EI calipers, so simple stuff like orientation of the caliper for example would have been useful. The single pot nissan calipers have the LH/RH stamping, but the twin calipers made by Sumitomo don't have any hints at all. Anyway, lesson learned as you said, but don't expect I will need to do this job again., and if I do, someone else will be doing it! I will do a quick summary of the brake upgrade and post up later, warts and all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bidja (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good reference material is hard to come by and it is so easy to forget the way it was. Once I did not even think anything of getting out the honing tool and drill to repair the master or wheel cyl and re kit them (mid 70s swb cruiser/drum brakes). Maybe the vehicles I have had for the last 20+ yrs have not been as old or have an easier life.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (8th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New table ready for a upcoming Simpson crossing .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

AB (9th July 2018), MB (9th July 2018), mudnut (9th July 2018), mudski (9th July 2018), PeeBee (9th July 2018), Yeti's Beast (9th July 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that double folding table idea - might look at doing the same on my smaller Alum. fold down table - well done and thanks for the photos

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

gaddy (9th July 2018)

Page 842 of 1049 FirstFirst ... 342742792832840841842843844852892942 ... LastLast