Thread: Anyone Using Coopers?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Using Coopers?

Just curious to see if anyone on this forum are using Coopers and what they think of them.

I have only done 25,000km's on mine already they are starting to wear thin.

I also took them up to some rocky hills a while back and they were torn apart like paper.

I used to have BF's and got over 100k out of them and they still had 30% tread so just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently there were some Coopers let into Australia that were made of a softer rubber compound and there could be a class action about it.

Don't quote me but i read it somewhere that they let in an inferior series of tyres and people we're shreading tyres and lugs like you wouldn't believe.

Apparently there was big article written up in the Australian 4X4 magazine discussing the rubber compund issue.

There's a letter on the side of the tyre by itself. If it has the letter C then they are the quality Cooper, any other letter then they are the cheap import.

I read that somewhere the other day, but again, don't quote me on this!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an issue in a magazine about that, 4x4 monthly Mag, i read that part and they were saying about a series of Coopers that were illegally imported and flogged off on the market.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got Coopers on my Patrol and i agree with you guys.

Ive lost some lugs and they are now bald as a badger with not 4wding going on lately just main roads.

I heard about this dodgy rubber compound story as well and just checked my Patrol out and i have the letter D on my wheels.

This makes me now think I have the illegal imported series...Love it!

Money well spent!

Update mine are only the ST's.
    Last edited by Mark; 11th June 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: updated info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you guys are talking about Discoverer ST tyres.
    I have the ATRs and love them, but then again I don't do hardcore off-roading and we in the west have different terrain to you guys in the east.
    Only thing I don't like about the ATRs is their performance on wet tarmac, slippery as.

Paul
    Western Patrol Club member #27
    2.8TD GU --> The Red Rocket

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mine are the ST's. I havent really done a lot of hardcore rock hills but even just general road use they wear down quick.

Never tried the ATR's but im glad to hear some good reports.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyNails View Post
    I assume you guys are talking about Discoverer ST tyres.
    I have the ATRs and love them, but then again I don't do hardcore off-roading and we in the west have different terrain to you guys in the east.
    Only thing I don't like about the ATRs is their performance on wet tarmac, slippery as.

Paul
    They are slippery as, I use ATR's and on the road they can get quite Knarly.

You have to make sure you take each corner in the wet nice and easy otherwise they get away from you.

(knarly.....such an 80's word...lol)
    Last edited by CrazyDave; 11th June 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: had to add the knarly comment.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...I heard about this dodgy rubber compound story as well and just checked my Patrol out and i have the letter D on my wheels...

This makes me now think I have the illegal imported series...Love it!
    Just to possibly put your mind at ease... Go back and check that you aren't looking at the Load Range which will be the letter "D" on a 285 x 75 x 16 Cooper ST... D means 8 ply.

The letter C is for 6 ply which is all the 15 inch Cooper ST's... 16 and 17 inch Coopers are either 8 or 10 ply

I think you will find that a lot of the C and D stuff is Internet myth from people who din't know how to read the tyre config codes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers ET - Was just about to have Kittens after reading a story somewhere else.

I reckon i must have been reading load range as this guy told me to read the letter on its own in a circle but now that I think about it I recall seeing Load Range beside the Circle.

I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know as It's icey cold and raining outside and this is my spot for the night...haha

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Cheers ET - Was just about to have Kittens after reading a story somewhere else.

I reckon i must have been reading load range as this guy told me to read the letter on its own in a circle but now that I think about it I recall seeing Load Range beside the Circle.

I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know as It's icey cold and raining outside and this is my spot for the night...haha
    Yep, thats the one... it will be a large capital letter C, D, or E possibly in a circle with "Load Range" or something similar beside it in smaller letters.

C is 6 ply, D is 8 ply and E is 10 ply

It is an American tyre code they use for LT tyres and does not refer to rubber compounds or anything else and the story that "all tyres with a D are an illegal import" is not correct
    Last edited by the evil twin; 11th June 2010 at 10:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast