User Tag List

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLLED GU !, the full story with pics & video

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just goes to show that the skills required to tackle offroading are wide and varied. The resources and articles on here are one thing but the personal stories give us all food for thought. Many thanks for sharing and the best of luck with all recoveries.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone,

Im not sure if there is much of a lesson to learn, i guess if there is 1% doubt get the family out, and wear a seatbelt, would be perhaps the only things to remeber.(oh and "^this way up^", lol)

Im not sure i could have realisticly done things any different, (obviously NOW i know i could have) initialy ,i was a little frustrated in the fact that dispite my best intentions, the situation was even available to present itself in the first place, and as with many disasters (not that this as a disaster) a series of small events all lead to one big event.

Ultimately im the one who made the choice to cross, so ive neglected to add all the details of how other peoples actions (and or lack of) may have contributed or could have prevented this from happening, and it makes very little difference to me now anyway, no point crying over spilt milk when ive still got beer in the fridge

As with lots of 4wding, there was a risk invoved, but under circustances it appeared much safer than heaps of things ive done at scenic rim or LCMP etc, and out of the many thousands of Ks ive done travelling QLDs sand islands ,this is the only damage ive ever done !

Anyway, i spent most of yesterday hand beating the dents out of the LH side (will need new gaurd), it was peeing down with rain most of the day, and i only had a small tarp for cover so progress was slow, theres still a few lumps and bumps, but the dent man should get them out now, and if not it means less bog is needed come time to paint.

before

after

Last edited by 04OFF; 29th January 2012 at 02:08 PM.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

AB (29th January 2012), Clunk (30th January 2012), Dark 1 (31st January 2012), Family4x4 (15th June 2014), maxblack (28th April 2012), Timbo (14th February 2012), twisty (29th January 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad luck Steve. Could have been a lot worse. Have you thought about a Patrol convertable? Or maybe a Patrol high roof camper?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unlucky mate hope you get a new rig from it and stick to the gu tough as these gq boys go on about gq's being tough then why do they all want gu running gear
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,771 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Horrible mate, sorry to read this!!!!!

Can't believe the tow truck crashed on the way to get you too...lol...You must have been screaming by then!

Im not sure if there is much of a lesson to learn, i guess if there is 1% doubt get the family out, and wear a seatbelt, would be perhaps the only things to remeber.(oh and "^this way up^", lol)
    This is a good bit mate and be glad you did do the right thing in that regard mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate. Thanks for sharing. Dunno what to say.... Bugger..

Glad you're all OK. Positively though, you were really well prepared and set yourself up with the right gear which meant you were able to recover yourself. Top effort.

Nice panelbeating!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so unluckily but great to see there are awesome people who will go above and beyond to help a fellow patrol owner in need.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad no one was injured & as said the metal can be straightened/replaced, good luck with the rebuild.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mate glad you're ok, and you've done an incredible job with the panel work, I saw the after pic before I saw the "before" pic, & hadnt even realized the door was a repair!!

Two things though, I've been trying to find the video, the link earlier doesn't seem to work for me, & I haven't found it directly on YouTube either, would you mind putting a link up again?
    Also, you comment that others actions or lack of could have contributed or perhaps prevented this. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean or how you think they could have helped?
    Thanks.
    Tim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrazydude View Post
    Hey Mate glad you're ok, and you've done an incredible job with the panel work, I saw the after pic before I saw the "before" pic, & hadnt even realized the door was a repair!!
    Thanks Tim , not the first time ive had to caress panels on that car

Two things though, I've been trying to find the video, the link earlier doesn't seem to work for me, & I haven't found it directly on YouTube either, would you mind putting a link up again?

I viewed the video from someone elses house/internet without logging in and it worked perfect, i wonder if it may be a issue at your end ?

I have not made the Video "public" on the tube, and ive only posted it in this thread, so you wont be able to find it anywhere esle for a while.

Also, you comment that others actions or lack of could have contributed or perhaps prevented this. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean or how you think they could have helped?
    Thanks.
    Tim
    Its all to do with timing as well as things that happend and then didn't, with the track as well as people.

The information i recieved from the locals (some people that live and or own houses on the island) expressed anger the incident happened, they suggested they had already forecast problems of this nature, and were frustrated that (in their minds) correct steps to ensure their (and everone elses) saftey had not been addressed correctly.

I also heard some interseting stories about the fires as well.

At the end of the day they are all just stories, i have no proof of anything sinister,nor want to chase any, everyone on the island was very helpfull, and ill be back to visit, as its still a great place in my mind, and ill probly still drive the "new" track they were talking about putting in around that area.

Im not really into pointing fingers , but i guess factual or not, its still a bit annoying to hear people say they knew a accident was going to occour in that exact spot, and apparently "everyone", who could do anything about it, already knew about the problem for a while
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast