Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loss of accelerator when driving on wet roads

Hi guys,

Over the last 2 years I have had problems that when I drive my 3.0l turbo diesel 2007 model nissan patrol that for some reason once it rains and I start driving on the wet roads that I loose ALL accerlation. Nissan have replaced the fly by wire accelerator repeatedly but the problem still remains... If you wait for the rain to stop and the weather to clear up so "something" dries and the car continues on like nothing has happened.... I'm kinda stumped.. and Nissan dont know any ideas? Anyone had anything similiar?

Thanks

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thats a weird one. Is it a manual? a long shot but could it be the clutch getting wet?? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along to help you out
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Welcome 2 the forum

When you get a chance, stop past the introduction section found here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Introductions

Post a new thread telling as a bit about urself and your rig

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey buddy, welcome aboard. You got a weird one there mate. Like Taslucas said maybe wet clutch slipping. Do the revs stay the same, drop off or increase
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its a manual nothing special about the rig just a standard ST-L series... I will post something shortly Todd.. not a problem

As for the problem.... yeah its just a weird one as its not the clutch slipping or anything... its just weird.... the other strange thing is another friend with a patrol is having the same issue.. to me its like something underneath is getting wet but what... I have no idea... I cant replicate it with a sprinkler so it obviously gets wet somewhere ..... any help / suggestions would be great.. .as it kinda makes 4x4 / camping a little difficult if you cant drive it in the wet or feel safe....

As for the revs etc.. you have nothing at all when this occurs.. you can put your foot down and nothing happens.. not even a rev... then once it starts again peddal is as per normal.. and then it goes again... very strange indeed...

Cheers

Steve.
    Last edited by spec76; 26th January 2012 at 12:24 AM.

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a switch that tells computer all is not ok or not in gear , hand brake on, something along these lines, is earthing/shorting out and computer is acting accordingly, shutting you down.
    I'd possibly try disconnecting things like hand brake wire etc 1 at a time, when it's dry weather to see if you can simulate the same problem.
    and maybe you have it solved this way.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a strange one.

I guess Nissan have done all the basic electrical checks.

Is yours the common rail? if so give this a try.

Road test the vehicle and apply pressure to the brake pedal, just enough force to bring on the stop lights but not enough to bring on the brakes, now try accelerating, does this produce the same symptoms?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had something similar once in a toyota, I hit water hard, and the speed limiter quit (yahoo) until it dried out (bugger).

It sounds electrical, and computer sensor related.
    Do you have abs? would this cut your power if you lost traction? if so, get some wd40 or vaseline etc into all related plugs.

you could also try pressure cleaning the underside. do it bit by bit till you get the cutout - and then narrow it down to a location - probably related to the wiring.

good luck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is a cool problem. I like the curly ones. I would be fairly sure it was electrical. I would imagine Nissan are looking for the issue with there diagnostic computer / machine and not climbing around with a spray bottle of water.
    Out of curiosity, where are you???

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oooooooohhhhhh your a cagey bugger Rodney... I hadn't thought of that initially but I know where your heading.

A fault in the brake wiring or ECU sensor input will cause weird symptoms like that if the ECU thinks the brakes are applied as well as the accelerator.

I dunno if the OP has a CRD or the last of the Di's but try a heel and toe change or left foot braking on a manual CRD and it will do some very odd things at times.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast