Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 3 inch exhaust on a 2.8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol2.8 View Post
    the 2.8s have a fan fitted under the intercooler as standard there are 2 plugs conectors to if you unplug the one that connects to the top of the intercooler fan will run all the time
    doesnt this throw a error up though?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasnt on mine from what I can see its a temp sensor the other thing about it is the fan actually draws the air upwards towards the scoop not the other way around
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gday did u put straight system or use mufflers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the fan draws hot air off the engine, then through the fan and OUT the bonnet scoop...isn't it kinda pointless?
    How will this cool the heated air in the intercooler, off the turbo?

Going to check mine tomorrow and have a look.
    If it is, I might reverse the positive and negative wires, and get it to go the other way. (if its that easy)
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No , it isnt pointless, on the contrary. First of all, the air temp in the engine bay is always lower than the air pumped by the compressor; also, the air enters the engine bay from the nose of the vehicle, creating a hi pressure zone on the fire wall area, which in turn pushes the air forward and out the scoop, contrary to what logic might tell you, as a matter of fact, if you put the scoop facing towards the windshield, then it will draw air in, if facing fwd then it lets air out. You can tie a string of wool to the scoop and actually see it.

So, having explained that, the fan will actually increase flow through the cooler promoting greater heat exchange, if you do it the other way around, the fan would then be combating the natural flow of air, therefore limiting heat exchange. Hope that answered your question...

Quote Originally Posted by robbo0001 View Post
    If the fan draws hot air off the engine, then through the fan and OUT the bonnet scoop...isn't it kinda pointless?
    How will this cool the heated air in the intercooler, off the turbo?

Going to check mine tomorrow and have a look.
    If it is, I might reverse the positive and negative wires, and get it to go the other way. (if its that easy)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoseM For This Useful Post:

patrol2.8 (15th April 2012), robbo0001 (28th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny sam my system is a straight through system.
    JoseM I was thinking about reversing my fan aswell but what you say makes sense would it be worth adding another fan to the top of the intercooler so it draws even more air up through it ?
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation JoseM....I had a think about this last night, and sort of came to the same conclusion.
    But I was thinking along the lines of "air at high vehicle speed flows through the vehicle grille, over the engine and intercooler, faster than the fan, and may make it redundant. However at low speed, or NO speed, the fan allows some air to be pushed through the intercooler and out the scoop."
    Last edited by robbo0001; 28th March 2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol2.8 View Post
    Danny sam my system is a straight through system.
    JoseM I was thinking about reversing my fan aswell but what you say makes sense would it be worth adding another fan to the top of the intercooler so it draws even more air up through it ?
    Why? Are you having EGT problems? Jus slap on a water injection system, and enjoy the extra hp

Quote Originally Posted by robbo0001 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation JoseM....I had a think about this last night, and sort of came to the same conclusion.
    But I was thinking along the lines of "air at high vehicle speed flows through the vehicle grille, over the engine and intercooler, faster than the fan, and may make it redundant. However at low speed, or NO speed, the fan allows some air to be pushed through the intercooler and out the scoop."
    The fan is always gonna help, if you are moving you have that high pressure area full of not so warm air to blow through your IC increasing heat exchange, if you are not moving you have the fan "sucking" air and generating heat exchange. It works either way. Also, you have that rubber seal around the scoop that prevents what you are referring to...
    A buddy of mine took one of windshield watter thingis (sorry, language barrier) and put it up side down, so that he can spray watter on the IC, as crazy as it sounds "It works!"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is dirt cheap!
    I used to cruise... NOW I PATROL!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this info guys, will be looking to do this to my 2.8. A mate of mine who does exhaust builds recommends a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 for the 2.8. Any thoughts.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast