Thread: giving the car a face lift

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    GQs seem to rust in the area where the roof joins the gutter etc.

Mine was rustproofed at some stage in the distant past, I think from new, and I'm thinking of taking it back for another treatment with the waxy kind of stuff it currently has.

I'd be keen to know your plans for this area.

Great thread and pics so far - Thanks!!!!
    my car only has some small rust scratches from where the roof racks have rubbed. when the car gets painted i will be giving the area a good sand then prepping and painting as per normal. i think the rust in gutters is only a problem if you dont clean that area of your car and prevent any rust from getting going through that area... just common sense i think?
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    my car only has some small rust scratches from where the roof racks have rubbed. when the car gets painted i will be giving the area a good sand then prepping and painting as per normal. i think the rust in gutters is only a problem if you dont clean that area of your car and prevent any rust from getting going through that area... just common sense i think?
    could be -I'm not talking about the gutters so much as the panel immediately above it - Mine is ok so far, but I wonder how much starts on the inside with condensation collecting on the roof and running out to the edges - something about three layers of metal being joined there? Perhaps I'm jumping at shadows :-)

Anyway all will be revealed when you pull the hood lining out.

I have a roof console with radios in it. What I would love to do with mine if I ever took the roof lining out, would be to see if there are holes in the left hand A pillar and adjacent, that are as big as the ones in the right hand A pillar, to run the wiring easily up into the roof from an antenna on the left hand side of the bull bar. I know wire can be run on the left side, as a previous owner had a 27meg installed with the wiring on that side.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just purchased new rear solid windows off patroldocta, $470 delivered to my door. they should arrive by thursday =)

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been through this to an extent. Stripping the car and cleaning out the inside.. not the most fun job, but very satisfying when it's all back together.

This thread is full of win!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks timbo, in the post my new carpet arrived tooday, i got it for $155 off ebay, and got to choose the colour i wanted from about 10 colours (which in my case was black) the carpet is pre moulded and feels like its pretty good quality. i cant wait to have it all painted so i can start putting on all the new goodies which are just collecting dust atm lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get underlay for the carpet too? If you didn't, I'd recommend investing in some.. makes a difference when your running mud tyres as it kills out some of the noise. Plus it just feels nicer having the carpet on something soft rather than just the steel floor haha.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (6th February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Did you get underlay for the carpet too? If you didn't, I'd recommend investing in some.. makes a difference when your running mud tyres as it kills out some of the noise. Plus it just feels nicer having the carpet on something soft rather than just the steel floor haha.
    thats a great idea. ill just get some from bunnings. its not even expensive. thats for the suggestion mate!

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would the old, now clean, carpet make a suitable underlay?
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very brave rusty. Im sure if i ever tried something to this extent i would end up with too many leftover bolts and screws. I sure hope you have everything marked and sorted.... lol
    I may have missed it, but what colour are you thinking for the paint colour? Something custom or selecting a manufacture's colour?
    2005 GU 3.0L ST
    Cooper tyres, Alloy B'Bar, Safari Snorkel, 3" Exhaust, Rhino Racks, Dual Batt, NADS
    and a very big wishlist in the glove box...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to satyx For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (7th February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by satyx View Post
    very brave rusty. Im sure if i ever tried something to this extent i would end up with too many leftover bolts and screws. I sure hope you have everything marked and sorted.... lol
    I may have missed it, but what colour are you thinking for the paint colour? Something custom or selecting a manufacture's colour?
    satyx, im going black lol. the car is gonna be entirely black with the following artwork painted on the bonnet( well the eyes and some of the other detail anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    would the old, now clean, carpet make a suitable underlay?
    in so far is using the old carpet i think if ima do it i might as well do it properly and 30 bucks worth of underlay from bunnings isnt gonna set me back an arm and a leg. good idea though. ill try it out before i spend any money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 7th February 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast