Thread: giving the car a face lift

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    yeah, surprisingly solid, not as big as im used too but hey i cant complain, i got the kit (wheel and boss kit) for $129 from supercheap auto. the only thing i dont like it the horn is really easy to get out. it wont just 'fall out' but its just a simple matter of pulling on it and out it comes. might have to do a few dobs if glue that will give out under more pressure, but hold it in there more solid. what did you do or did you not have the problem?
    Mines held in with Allen bolts mate - I had a smaller wheel like that, but it makes it heavy to steer, and blocked the speedo on the cluster - just annoying so went for the bigger AutoTechnica wheel (still slightly smaller than original, but good though).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is anyone aware of the RTA (NSW) requirements for when you change the colour of a car? i have some idea that the car needs to be updated as to the colour on their system, but google is drawing a blank as to finding what i need to do to get the car roadworthy again. perhaps i should go into the RTA and ask? but then again, i thought id have more chance of getting a straight answer on here?

cheers in advance
    Looking good Nic,

I will give a bloke a know a call re the color change on Sat, he works in the RTA Technical so should be able 2 lead you down the right path

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    cheers for the heads up todd.

rig, i really wanted to buy one of those 180mm autotechnica wheels like yours, but thought:

A: it would be like copying and unoriginal, and

B: i waas at supercheap for somthing else and the 129$ package seemed too good to resist when i could have it then and there, as opposed to having to wait for it to arrive through snail mail. im still waiting for my new pertronix electronic ignition to come and that was a week ago... damm im impatient lol

cheers guys

nic
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hooray, after 2 weeks of waiting, the pertronix unit has arrived today, photos of that to come when i install it over the weekend.

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hooray, after 2 weeks of waiting, the pertronix unit has arrived today, photos of that to come when i install it over the weekend.
    waiting for the pics mate will be interesting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ok so this arvo, repcocalled and said they FINALLY had the gauge and sender in, so i went and picked them up. now ive always done things myself, but this was a big new challenge, as ive never done this thing before. ididnt even know what the "sender" i had to buy was.

so to cut a long story short, im reading the sender instructions, and it says i need to cut a hole in the tank... well i wasnt about to go cutting holes in my LPG tank, so i went home to work it out. i pulled the bash plate off the tank and lucky me there was what i hoped was already a sender on the tank. so i rigged up the gauge to a 12v inverter, then to what i thought was the sender and voila! the gauge read half a tank which is about what i thought was in it! cheering.

but that left me with a non-returnable sender and 60 bucks outta pocket. so i started thinking about how my petrol guage had never worked properly, it only ever read 3/4 of a tank not sure if anyone who has an LPG converted TB42 has the same problem but both my patrols never had a working fuel gauge. i thought maybe the sender i no longer required might work better with the stock gauge.

rigged up parts of the new sender with the old senders plate, and now have a fully functional petrol gauge also. stoked!!!

see below for pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Clunk (2nd February 2012), GUtsy ute (27th January 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so yesterday i installed my pertronix 1762LS (lobe sensing) electronic ignition system. the instructions were not very good, and seeing as ive never changed points before i had no idea what to look for when following the very brief instructions. here is my guide below to assist anyone that wants to do the same and needs help:

the rubber grommet cut with ignitor wires inserted

so there you have it. after doing all that you obviously need to put all the covers back on. i found that the ignitor sat a bit high and pressed slightly on the plastic cover that goes back on first but started the car and let it run then pulled it apart and inspected and there was no damage to speak of.

as to noticing a difference, the car started with just a touch on the ignition and idled really nice. im yet to take it for a drive as the interior is all stripped out, but it climbs really nicely through the revs when reving at a stop. again, cant mention anything about economy change as i wont be able to drive it for another couple of weeks, but i will keep everyone posted as soon as i am able to start working out that sort of thing.

if anyone has any questions about that i did, please let me know and if i know the answer ill be glad to help!

cheers,

Nic

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Ben89 (4th July 2013), Clunk (2nd February 2012), MudRunnerTD (1st February 2012), Trolatron (24th February 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Nic that is a really good post there mate.

I recommend you take that post to the DIY section and create a thread there for specifically fitting a Pertronix system to a Petrol. Is well worth while and plenty of members will appreciate your effort there bud.

Good one
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (1st February 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks mate will do

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GQs seem to rust in the area where the roof joins the gutter etc.

Mine was rustproofed at some stage in the distant past, I think from new, and I'm thinking of taking it back for another treatment with the waxy kind of stuff it currently has.

I'd be keen to know your plans for this area.

Great thread and pics so far - Thanks!!!!
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast