Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rd28 to td42 conversion gq

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been driving around a bit it really needs a turbo.
    I wound the fuel up a little and give it a good dose of two stroke oil and it seems to be getting better.
    Either that or i am just getting used to the lack of power over the rd28.
    The speedo is out by a bit according to the gps 60=70
    90=110.
    Will have to take the cluster out i remember their being different options on the back of them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swapped the speedo sensor in the transfer over from the rd28 box now it's working fine.
    The options on the back of the cluster may be for the tacho will look at it another day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The diff centres are a different ratio. Mine is 125km/hr for real 100. Also doing 3000rpm at 100km/hr. Anyone sort the glow plug issue. Its annoyying to the extreme. One relay clicks on off for both glow and then again for flashing. Light comes on and then flashes even with none of the relays plugged in.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My speedo is spot on according to the gps i have 4.6 ratio diffs so i used the original rd28 speedo sensor and gear.
    It does 2900 rpm at 110k's an hour but it does have factory 16 inch alloy mag wheels.
    My glow light stops flashing when it warms up.
    what i am going to do one day is wire up the glow light to the glow relay feed so then it will only come on when the initial glow is on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool awsome reading as I am also about to do the same to my 2.8 97 gq & also just found in the back of my shed that plate for trailer so it can be for my engine mount too thanks
    I was thinking of trying say 35" or 37" tyres to get the revs downs as I currently run 33's & speedo reads 93k when I'm doing 100 by gps as for actual speedo not worried as I always use GPS as speedo then compare & use tacho.
    cheers again TonyD
    Got the baby GQ a 1997 2.8TD RX Wagon Racetech EGT & Boost Guages Dobinsons coils 32in BFG KM2 M/T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good info, I'm looking at starting a similar project soon, putting a 4.2td into a 98 Gu wagon. Keep the info coming. I like your engine mount idea and will probably steal it

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update i drowned the 2.8 glow controller so removed it .
    But it controlled the tacho as well so i fitted a tacho from the td42 early cluster and swapped the needle and faceplate over.
    And with the wiring at the controller joined the yellow black trace to the yellow white trace then run the yellow blue trace to earth the black wires.
    If you just want to run a manuallly operated momentary switch for glow control use the green white trace and switch it to ground if you want the light to work run the yellow with a green trace to it with a diode to stop the light coming on with accessories.
    Or if you cut the wiring out of the early td42 and use the glow controller wire it straight up all the colours you need are in there but you need to earth the blue wire red trace at the glow relay as they use a positive switch so cut it and run it to ground.
    I am also going to mount this up higher behind the cluster somewhere to keep it from getting wet again i hope.
    Last edited by 97_gq_lwb; 2nd June 2012 at 07:50 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hows this all going mate? Are you happy with the end result? I'm thinking of buying a TD42 and slowly rebuild it to eventually replace my ZD30. In your own time it would be real handy to see a parts list and like some sort of assembly order. So if anyone else feels up for the challenge of the conversion they know what they are getting themselves into. I want to do my research properly before I do this. Then I read about the 6.5L V8's. Dang!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 97_gq_lwb View Post
    Hey mate do you have any measurements for the engine mount as I have just started the conversion myself

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured the differences on the chassis from a few different points i think it was 40 mm but can't be sure so better if you check.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast