Thread: Battery installed by Idiot, ME.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ian,
    yeah the fuse blows when i had the control unit plug in,
    i havnt chased up any further yet, but if all i need is to replace this to get the glowies going again , all will end up good.
    Thanks for checkin out the thread
    p.s.s, all the dash lights worked and fuel amp temp workin.
    forgot to look at radio, have tacken batt out to top up on charger
    Last edited by rockndot; 8th January 2012 at 09:22 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockndot View Post
    Well Guys, a little update,
    really only slow because, like all life makes us busy.Anyway.................yada.....

The Beauty's up and going again, thanks to following, Yendor The Greats tips
    Disconected the Glow plug timer unit, bridged the 65 amp fuse with ...,wire...
    replaced the 15 amp fuse
    and with good conditions and good Batt, She drew a breath and a yehah went up from the hugs and kisses,
    who was watching from the pool, ....yadah.yadah.......
    Thank's guys the news is good, now need to follow up on why the old batt decided to die,
    might be one of those earth issues i've read.
    the old girl ain't rego'ed anymore , needed a small box for the 2 and fro work thing.
    But now with the tips arround here and i think i'm winning with the jobs to do, no must do, so a restoration could be on the cards.
    got to figure out how to upload some pics and show her to you all.
    And the new fuse15 amp
    That's great news, good job mate.

You will need to fit the correct 65 amp fuse ASAP.

If that 15 amp fuse only blows when the glow plug timer is connected then yes it is stuffed.

You have a couple of options.

1. Replace the unit.

2. Pull the cover off the unit and inspected it, it might be repairable. It might have a diode that is designed to blow when the battery is connected up in reverse. If so, it would be mounted on the circuit board closes to the plug and one end will be connected to an earth and the other end will be connected to the ignition wire (just follow the wires through the plug and onto the circuit board). Have a look and see if anything in this area is blown or you can see black arc marks. You may need to try and post some pictures.

3. You can just mount a momentary push button switch in the dash, we can then wire it up so you turn the ignition on, hold down the button for the 10-15 seconds and then start the old girl up.

Cheers

Rodney

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian2011 View Post
    Isn't the idea of a fuse that it blows first, before ecu's and other sensitive equipment blows up.
    In automotive use the fuse main purpose is to protect the vehicle wiring from overheating and catching on fire if a short in the circuit occurs.

They are know as a slow blow fuse and even though they have a rating of say 15 amps under the right conditions it might not blow until it reaches 18 amps.

ECUs will have protection built in them for under voltage supply, over voltage supply and voltage spikes.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What Rodney said X2

The supply fuse at the distribution or fuse panel protects the wiring which is why many are all the same values.

If the equipment requires protection that is accomplished either internally or with a fuse holder on the back or possibly a few inches along the supply cable.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the follow up guys , great reading/info.
    will remove the said controll unit today and have a gander Rodney.
    p.s. i just got your tag.....der....i'm slow i know.

p.s.s whats the go uploading photos ?
    screen ask me for a url ..?

cheers rock
    Last edited by rockndot; 9th January 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    That's great news, good job mate.

You will need to fit the correct 65 amp fuse ASAP.

If that 15 amp fuse only blows when the glow plug timer is connected then yes it is stuffed.

You have a couple of options.

1. Replace the unit.

2. Pull the cover off the unit and inspected it, it might be repairable. It might have a diode that is designed to blow when the battery is connected up in reverse. If so, it would be mounted on the circuit board closes to the plug and one end will be connected to an earth and the other end will be connected to the ignition wire (just follow the wires through the plug and onto the circuit board). Have a look and see if anything in this area is blown or you can see black arc marks. You may need to try and post some pictures.

3. You can just mount a momentary push button switch in the dash, we can then wire it up so you turn the ignition on, hold down the button for the 10-15 seconds and then start the old girl up.

Cheers

Rodney
    Hi Rodney,
    i got the little green box out ECU, and checked all out
    Wires and circut board look clean as, brand spankin clean, been no issue there
    I didn't get into town today to get a few more fuses, and the multi meter should be here tomorrow,
    so would like to plug the fuse back in, and see if it blows again,
    but had to move her and use her today arround the block.
    will keep you updated.
    p.s. got the picture thing happening.thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well guys,
    Plug all back in and still blows that 15 amp fuse , so the box must be knackered, although nothing looked burnt or damaged.
    Might need to get a temperary glow thing happening, until i chase another unit.
    Wondering if someone could explain how to,
    Cheers rock

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockndot View Post
    well guys,
    Plug all back in and still blows that 15 amp fuse , so the box must be knackered, although nothing looked burnt or damaged.
    Might need to get a temperary glow thing happening, until i chase another unit.
    Wondering if someone could explain how to,
    Cheers rock
    The connector that plugs into the glow plug module should be a 10 pin connector, 5 pins on the top and 5 pins on the bottom.

With the top row of pins there should be only 2 pins that are being used, 1 pin should have a brown wire in it (this is the ignition feed from the 15 amp fuse you keep blowing) and the other wire colour should be Green wire with a White trace, (this wire connects to the glow plug relay).

All you need to do is connect two wires, one to the brown wire and one to the Green with a White trace and then connect the other end of the wires to your momentary push button switch.

To test, connect your test light or voltmeter onto one of the glow plugs or busbar, turn ignition on and then push the switch in.

The test light or voltmeter should now light up or show about 12 volts.

I would use a good quality momentary push button switch, the last thing you would want is the contacts in the switch to short together causing the glow plugs to stay on.

If you intend on having this permanently setup with the switch, we can add a warning light into the circuit.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

AB (11th January 2012), rockndot (11th January 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rodney,
    You got a knack for speaking plain english to us not Yet educated,
    I got the geist here, will call in to parts shop next day or two,
    this may be a longer install, than i would hope, but plenty of other bridges to......yahdah ya
    Might like to add that light,
    would that just be added on glow plug side of switch ?

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The light gets a little bit more tricker.

Yes you could just purchase a small warning light and wire it on the glow plug side of the switch.

But what you really want to know is, if the power is getting to the glow plugs (not just on the other side of the switch).

There is a another wire in the connector ( White with a Blue trace) that powers up when the glow plugs have power (this will show you that the glow plug relay and fusible link are working).

Now if you want to use the original warning light in the dash, this light switches earth, so we would need to use a relay.

It's easy enough, you will just need to get a relay.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

rockndot (11th January 2012)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast