Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tie down a patrol on a trailer

Balclutha, (Bottom of South Island)New Zealand
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thread Mechlou, I've got to go and bring back a dead Isuzu bighorn next week and I wouldn't have considered a lot ofthe points made, good luck with your tow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jump on to the LTSA website and have a gawk at the truck loading code, it's all there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Tank For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (26th January 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can use 1 ratchet strap per wheeldo so. Either from the deck up in front of the wheel, over the wheel and back down to the deck, behid the wheel. OR, from the side tie rail, around behind the wheel, across the front of the wheel, looping around the strap and going across in front of the wheel again eo anchor off to the tie rail. As you ratchet up, the looped strap will pull into the tyre, and create a tight wheel clamp strap.

Shipping tie points can also be used for tie down points during transport. BUT, use all four to be safe.

Never rely on a winch cable as a securing device!

Ratchet straps or chains and load binders should be used.

Always remember to park vehicle in gear and hand brake on.

If you have a late model car, OR an old car with central locking fitted, remove your keys from the ignition, otherwise when you get to oyher end, motion sensors may have locked your doors with the key in the ignition.

By the way, I used to be a damn goog Towie who never had a vehicle move or damaged whilst on my truck, nor, did I ever get done for improper securing/insecure loads by the authorities during roadside/weighbridge checks.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

Oversize (2nd February 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
    Thanks for the thread Mechlou, I've got to go and bring back a dead Isuzu bighorn next week and I wouldn't have considered a lot ofthe points made, good luck with your tow.
    Yes, I learned heaps too. I ended up taking a friend who had all the gear and a head full of experience. My Patrol is home at last.
    Are you ready for Christmas?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    If you can use 1 ratchet strap per wheeldo so. Either from the deck up in front of the wheel, over the wheel and back down to the deck, behid the wheel. OR, from the side tie rail, around behind the wheel, across the front of the wheel, looping around the strap and going across in front of the wheel again eo anchor off to the tie rail. As you ratchet up, the looped strap will pull into the tyre, and create a tight wheel clamp strap.

Shipping tie points can also be used for tie down points during transport. BUT, use all four to be safe.

Never rely on a winch cable as a securing device!

Ratchet straps or chains and load binders should be used.

Always remember to park vehicle in gear and hand brake on.

If you have a late model car, OR an old car with central locking fitted, remove your keys from the ignition, otherwise when you get to oyher end, motion sensors may have locked your doors with the key in the ignition.

By the way, I used to be a damn goog Towie who never had a vehicle move or damaged whilst on my truck, nor, did I ever get done for improper securing/insecure loads by the authorities during roadside/weighbridge checks.

Tim
    Thanks Tim, did all you said and she is home sweet home. Getting her off was a little awkward - and a little needs to be added about safety procedures on the final unload too.
    Regards, Louise

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tank View Post
    Jump on to the LTSA website and have a gawk at the truck loading code, it's all there.
    Can you give us the link, I have no idea what LTSA is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12