Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air compressor advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

air compressor advice

hey everyone, been searching and can't find exactly what i'm after.

as everyone on here should now a working air compressor is a vital component to have in your 4x4. what i am after is some advice on which one to get and if a tank setup is a good idea or bad idea?

now i have been through 3 air compressors.

1) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA-...item19cc50c1aa

was not from that seller, but looks the same and was off ebay, it managed to put 2psi into a 31" tire from 10psi, was a test at home in the driveway.

2) also looked the same as above, but was an mcc twin motor compressor. which looking now is not on their website, i got it from a local shop. it managed to pump up two 205/65/15" trailer tires. and then the first time i used it on my car was to inflate after a 4x4 trip. got all four 35x12.5x15" tires from 15psi-30psi. the gauge was out and i wanted 40psi. went back and got two of the tires up to 40psi and the third to 35psi and it died. lucky there were other 4x4's there to borrow an air compressor from.

3) same mcc air compressor, was swapped for a new one under warranty although i wanted a refund. went out on a 4x4 trip with just my car. aired down to 15psi, at the end of the day went to inflate. lucky if i got the first tire to 17psi and the air compressor died.

so, that air compressor will be going back on the 9th for me to get a refund. and i am looking for a new compressor. now as you can imagine with the luck i have had so far i don't want to be just buying something and hoping it will work again. but at the same time i'm only an apprentice and living out of home, so don't want to spend all my money.

i've been looking at this setup. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290643067...84.m1423.l2649

i like the endless setup's on the motor, but i am still unsure as to if i will change my motor or not yet and there also does not seem to be any spare room on the little rd28 to mount one anyways.

i have found room where i can mount the 6 litre tank under car, and could actually fit a 6 litre tank under each side. i also have room for their 18 litre tank in the cab. at first i was thinking of buying two of the 6 litre tank kits so that i have one on each side of the car with a compressor to each one. also thought of adding the 18 litre tank alone inside the cab, which would give 30 litre tank capacity all up and two air compressor's, but unsure as to how the best way to link them would be. as the 6 litre tank on each side i would have a hose connection on each side of the car.

so atm i am trying to decide on a tank setup or just run it straight from the air compressor. i have 35" tire's for playing. and atm that is all it's used for. but someday will have air matress and other random things i'd like to use it for. i would hardwire the compressor's and have a in cab switch to operate them.

any help or advice is very much appreciated. i've been stuck out bush and had to drive to the nearest mate's place once already on 15psi in all four tires. and that's enough for me to not want to have that happen again.

Matt.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that a 6 litre tank will assist much in pumping up tyres? 6 litres at say 60 psi = say 12litres at 30 psi, and 6 litres of that will still be in the tank....

BigRig who is on here quite a bit has a compressor that looks like the first one you tried, in that it is double ended, and he seems happy with it - perhaps PM him for the details?

I use an old ARB pump that comes with a tiny tank that I guess was made for use with their airlockers. BigRig's is faster.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ARB Twin CKMA12 and it performs really well in the 4x4 Mags it is rated 2nd above all the compressors i picked mine up for $ 550 and mounted it under my drivers seat i pump up 33" and it would take roughly 8 to ten minutes and that is with out a tank installed and you can also run air lokkas of it at a later date if wish to do so

I have posted a link to my installation thread below

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Air-Compressor

This is the address for all the specs regarding this compressor

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...yYlrBzD2gDBl7Q
    Last edited by hutchy84; 10th January 2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added a link for the specs on the CKMTA12 Compressor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this compressor, I've had it approx six years and it has never missed a beat, it regularly pumps up at least two sets of 33s from15 to 35, it takes 2min per tire and has done 5 cars on one trip and never had even a small hiccup, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a reliable fast compressor.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/super_m...p#.TwuQ9fnhe-U
    Western Patrol Club member

GQ with 5.7 Gen 111 V8, Dual ARB airlockers, 33" Coopers, 9000lb Premier winch, Black Widow draws

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got home from arb, bought one of their twin compressors for $510. Can't wait to get it in and give it a workout on the 35's

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, new on here but I have posted an intro thread. Here is a link to Australian 4wd mag compressor comparison. http://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles...ro-corrections

This was posted because they made an error in the magazine. It looks to me that the Tigerz 11 should be number one because it wins it's under $250 category for everything except warranty and even beats most of the dearer compressors in performance.

Paul.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The arb twin compressor is still number one in the $501-$1,000 and for the $510 mine cost me. It's well worth it. Goes way quicker then the pumps at the servo's to

Last time I inflated mine up I pulled over as my mate drove down the road to the servo both have the same size tires. I inflated all 4 of mine to 35, with the compressor cutting in and out cause I hadnt soldered the joins together yet. Then got in the car and drove down the road to the servo and he was just finishing off his 3rd tire to 30psi.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think you might have to cut and paste the site below. (edit; link works)

I have tried many 12volt compressors since 1995 when we raced go karts through to four wheel driving since 2005, and have wrecked them all. Big Reds, ARB early and later models, Supercheap Auto cheapies etc.
    We pumped a storage tank to 90psi for seating beads on the karts and have a 9litre tank in the Nissan for the same reason, although only used it a couple of times when a tyre has popped off the bead on some nasty tracks.
    Had cheap and expensive compressors none of them made the grade except this one, the Boss Grande, it is not cheap at $415.00 but ours has been abused for 3-4 years now and allways works.
    They are physically big, the motor is a starter motor by the look of it. So big cables are used to keep the volts up to it.
    Solonoids, pressure switches, tanks etc are extra.
    They are quick and 100% duty cycle.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.a...d2c800af17a06f
    Last edited by macca; 15th March 2012 at 06:05 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a big red and mounted it under the bonnet plus 2 alloy tanks where i could fit them underneath its not bad very quick draws a lot of power i have to keep car running.cost 300.00 plus about 200.00 for every thing else i made all the brackets and basically fitted the whole lot.i run the air horns on a 2 way switch so i can switch from air horn to electric horn just in case the cops pull me over for making to much noise.it was hard work to fit but iam happy with it.
    But i still carry a portable comp just in case.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Think you might have to cut and paste the site below. (edit; link works)

I have tried many 12volt compressors since 1995 when we raced go karts through to four wheel driving since 2005, and have wrecked them all. Big Reds, ARB early and later models, Supercheap Auto cheapies etc.
    We pumped a storage tank to 90psi for seating beads on the karts and have a 9litre tank in the Nissan for the same reason, although only used it a couple of times when a tyre has popped off the bead on some nasty tracks.
    Had cheap and expensive compressors none of them made the grade except this one, the Boss Grande, it is not cheap at $415.00 but ours has been abused for 3-4 years now and allways works.
    They are physically big, the motor is a starter motor by the look of it. So big cables are used to keep the volts up to it.
    Solonoids, pressure switches, tanks etc are extra.
    They are quick and 100% duty cycle.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.a...d2c800af17a06f
    they look great dont they!!

I have had one of these in my GQ for about 7 years as it was the biggest and the best that i could get at the time. Be prepared to run single purpose power cable to the back at least the size of your Thumb. Waste of time any smaller as they draw over 30amps and need a solenoid to crank and suffer badly from voltage drop at that draw.

I also have an ARB Hi Output compressor in the GUIV and rate it highly. I believe it would go tyre for tyre against the Big Boss! Without the ridiculous current draw.

I'd go the ARB over the BigBoss in a heart beat guys. If i had the cash to buy again it would be the new ARB Double pumper. Second to NONE for 12v plug in. The only thing that will out perform the ARB is an engine mounted endless air setup.

For the money the new ARB Twin is KING no question.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast