OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Rust holes in gutters / roof - what to do without spending $$$?!

Threaded View

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust holes in gutters / roof - what to do without spending $$$?!

Hey there,

I've already gone through several threads but I somehow couldn't help the feeling that I need some advice. Short before christmas our Patrol finally arrived (nervous breakdowns etc. described here http://bit.ly/vN9oiD) and now we're preparing for getting on the road. We are going to see a mechanic tomorrow (UltraTune Milton) if anything urgently needs to be done and of course because of THE RUST!!!!

I didn't remember it being so bad and neither did my girlfriend. We got a special christmas surprise from rust bubbles and holes all along the right sided roof-gutter and the roof just behind where the rack hits the gutter. Somehow it seems I didn't pay much attention to it in the first point.

Nonetheless this is now my problem and I have to deal with it. I don't want to make the car look like a new one but I want to avoid the roof rack (with tent) cracking through the gutter one night - so it doesn't have to be a cosmetically perfect repair. It's an on-the-road-car and will stay this way.
    But how? And how do I get out of this without spending my last pennies (backpacker )???

My initial plan was to leave the roof rack but it seems like I have to get it down (definitely) - or can I maybe just lift one side of it and do the work? I would then start with an iron brush, sanding paper and screwdriver to get as much rust out of there as possible.
    Then bog the holes and sand it to level. After that apply Killrust satin enamel.

Do I have to seal the bog first? Do I need rust converter?
    Last edited by harry-potzer; 12th February 2012 at 05:21 PM.