Thread: oil pressure gauge not working

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oil pressure gauge not working

when the ignition is on in my MK the needle of the oil pressure gauge is at the top, when the engine is running the needle drops all the way back down. Any suggestions as to what the problem is?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to try disconnecting the plug at the oil pressure sender unit & see if the gauge still does the same thing. If it says at the bottom with the ignition on but not running (as it should do) it would be a fare assessment your oil pressure sender unit is in fault.

You will need to replace the sender unit (if in fault) to correct the problem.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Patch. I have replaced the sender unit, both the old one and the replacement give the same reading on the the gauge. when no sender unit is connected the needle does not move and stays at the bottom. Do all Mk's have electrical gremlings or is mine special. The temperature gauge is not working and I am having trouble finding a sender unit for that and the fuel gauge sh1t itself too recently
    Last edited by patch697; 29th December 2011 at 04:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a common thing with all Patrols I think, although I can't speak for the GU's here.

Most of us were sick to death of the shotty gauges that Mr Nissan seen fit to provide us & went with a dash or pillar pod fitted with after market gauges just for the piece of mind factor alone. The Nissan gauges even when working are far from accurate.

Rather than spend/waste anymore trying to fix what can't be fixed I'd be going the same way if I was you.

Just my thoughts on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,771 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My gq sender is the same as yours mate. We need to get an aftermarket one for sure.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the feedback guys, I will look into alternatives. It is just ugly looking at dead gauges, I will have to stick a photo over them he he

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like you have a bad earth to your dash cluster

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If both the fuel gauge and temperature gauge stopped working at the same time the most likely cause is the voltage regulator in the dash.

There is one regulator that runs both the fuel and temperature gauges and another regulator that runs the oil pressure gauge.

The problem with the oil pressure gauge is more then likely the regulator as well, but as posted by nemo check the dash earth and connections.

If the voltage regulators are faulty an instrument repairer should be able to repair them for you.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have an erratic Oil pressure gauge , and having read several posts on the forum , have concerns about the temperature gauge as well. Is the answer to change the sender for aftermarket items whilst retaining the original gauges / change the gauges for aftermarket items retaining the original sender / replace both sender & gauge with aftermarket?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also had my gauge play up a few times on my sd33t. It has always been one of two things. Either water trapped inside the rubber boot that covers the sender unit or a dodgy connection of the sender wire.
    The sender unit is fine and the dash gauge is fine.

Cheers Ric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast