Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MK Brake Master Cylinder problem

Hi all,

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I'm a old fart on my fourth Patrol, an '86 SD233T Wagon.

I found this forum when I was searching for a Brake Master Cylinder kit. I figured that was what I needed 'coz my brake petal needs a couple of pumps to get some pressure. I'm not losing fluid so I figured I probably needed some new rubber seals on the piston.

I'd love to find a schematic for the Brake Master Cylinder and also some info on where I might get the kit.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, Welcome 2 the forum.

Can you post up an into in the intro section when you get a chance, You will find more members willing 2 reply 2 a question if an intro has been posted up.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day mate.
    Before you start on the master check the rest of the system especially the linings if it has drum brakes.
    Make sure the brakes are adjusted properly before you attack the master. With drum brakes they dont have to be too far out of adjustment before you have to pump the pedal.Also check for fluid under the wheel cylinder boots, If wet replace the cylinder rather than re kit it as the bore is more than likely pitted and honing only makes it worse. If any of the cylinders are wet this can be a sign that air can be drawn into the system every time you release the brake pedal. A Quick bleed at the suspect wheel may produce telltale bubbles. Hope this is of some help

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

Silver (26th December 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks pearcey

Will have a look.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adjusted rear drum brakes and handbrake. Now have good pedal and handbrake, but only stopping on back brakes.

Not losing any fluid anywhere so my gut feeling is that the rubber rings on the master cylinder piston for the front brakes have perished. It would be a fair assumption as pretty much everything on the car is original.

Can pick up a master cylinder on-line and I'm wondering if it is an easy 'bolt on to the booster and bleed job'.

I haven't had the master cylinder off the car yet as I'm still driving it, very gently, and it stops quite well in my 50K town, so I don't know the significance of the 23.81mm Bore size mentioned in the listing. My Master cylinder seems to be the original, with 'Nissan' embossed on one side and 'Tokico' on the other side.

My model is a late '87 build, I think an MK, so if anyone knows the significance of the bore size I'd love to know.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought it so I hope it's OK.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There just a unbolt and rebolt on the booster, fairly simple
    Before you bought said suspect part, had you done a complete visual for any suspect leak/leaks/sepage ???
    A shorty here had the dreaded brakes one pump,not the other syndrome
    It was a bend in a line,(that ended up eventually breaking) few pumps hold pressure, then drop once pressure was released and tried again
    Replacement brake line fixed that
    Anywho you have the new master cylinder now,mite as well fit it,and do a full system bleed

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    Before you bought said suspect part, had you done a complete visual for any suspect leak/leaks/sepage ???
    It was a bend in a line,(that ended up eventually breaking) few pumps hold pressure, then drop once pressure was released and tried again
    Anywho you have the new master cylinder now,mite as well fit it,and do a full system bleed
    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I did crawl around and look at all slave cylinders, no leaks that I could see, plus I wasn't losing any fluid from the master cylinder.

The replacement arrived today so will fit tomorrow, get a 'pumper' to help with the bleed, and hope all goes well.

Thanks all for the helpful info and I will advise the outcome.

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hi

I finished up getting the one man 'Vizibleed' and did the bleed by myself, starting with the rear N/S.

Just jacked up and removed the wheel for the slave cylinder I was working on and worked my way round the car.

After I'd done the rears I didn't have too much pedal, but after doing the long run on the front the pedal was pretty good and finished up great when I did the last bleed.

Thanks to all for the very helpful advice.

Cheers

Kevin

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    i just wanna know where did you bought your brakes? i loss my brake yesterday and i dont know how to put it back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast