Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: front tow point

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Couple of good points in the thread so far.

Firstly to answer the OP... I don't have any pics but know of several people who have installed Hayman Reece recievers into Bullbars. In every case it was done for the ease of manouverability of reversing trailers and vans into tight spots/difficult driveways.
    Personally I would NOT recommend them as a Snatch Strap (I stress Snatch Strap) recovery solution as at least one of the recent fatalities in the last two years was a lass killed by part of the Bull Bar failing. The method would be perfectly fine however for winch/tow/driver assist type recovery tho.

Snatch Strap ratings - The Snatch Strap (which are rated in Breaking Strain by the by) rating should be 2 to no more than 3 times the weight of the lightest vehicle in the recovery regardless of whether the lighter vehicle is the bogged or recovery truck.

Bent Front Chassis Rails - Usually occur for 1 of 2 reasons.
    First reason is in a 'single point of attachement recovery' is an inordinate sideways pull IE not Fore and Aft.
    Second reason is in a 'bridle attachement recovery' and is due to people not understanding a force multiplier phenomenon called 'Sling Load Angle'. If the bridle is too short and the 'Load Angle too high' it will actually multiply the force of the Snatch Strap or Winch by potentially as much as 6 times and change the force vector onto the Bridle IE attempt to pull the rails together rather than the vehicle forward out of the bog.

Hope that makes sense... I'll hand the soapbox over to someone else now
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GUtsy ute (23rd December 2011), twisty (24th December 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Couple of good points in the thread so far.

Firstly to answer the OP... I don't have any pics but know of several people who have installed Hayman Reece recievers into Bullbars. In every case it was done for the ease of manouverability of reversing trailers and vans into tight spots/difficult driveways.
    Personally I would NOT recommend them as a Snatch Strap (I stress Snatch Strap) recovery solution as at least one of the recent fatalities in the last two years was a lass killed by part of the Bull Bar failing. The method would be perfectly fine however for winch/tow/driver assist type recovery tho.

Snatch Strap ratings - The Snatch Strap (which are rated in Breaking Strain by the by) rating should be 2 to no more than 3 times the weight of the lightest vehicle in the recovery regardless of whether the lighter vehicle is the bogged or recovery truck.

Bent Front Chassis Rails - Usually occur for 1 of 2 reasons.
    First reason is in a 'single point of attachement recovery' is an inordinate sideways pull IE not Fore and Aft.
    Second reason is in a 'bridle attachement recovery' and is due to people not understanding a force multiplier phenomenon called 'Sling Load Angle'. If the bridle is too short and the 'Load Angle too high' it will actually multiply the force of the Snatch Strap or Winch by potentially as much as 6 times and change the force vector onto the Bridle IE attempt to pull the rails together rather than the vehicle forward out of the bog.

Hope that makes sense... I'll hand the soapbox over to someone else now
    Finally those force vectors they taught me in physics at school have become useful!!!!! What a shame that in the intervening 30+ years the brain cells that stored that info seem to have ceased to function :-).

So the longer the bridle, the better for preventing the chassis ends/dumb irons meeting each other?
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (24th December 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All terrain 4x4 do vehicle specific recovery points. I think a pair for a GU is about $100. Straight bolt on attachments. Haven't used them myself but have been recommended by a guy who works at TJM - though he doesn't sell them himself.
    2011 CRD with a bunch of stuff bolted on

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    snip...
    So the longer the bridle, the better for preventing the chassis ends/dumb irons meeting each other?
    Hiya Silver,

Yeah mate, absolutely... those brain cells in my melon seem to be still Ok... apparently it's the "where the hell did I put the stupid car keys" cells that are stuffed in my great meathead
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These look good where is the best place to get them

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lenkeit, there are differences between the GQ after market recovery points, and the GU, and if memory serves, between some of the GUs - can't tell which Patrol you have from what I see here.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12