Thread: front tow point

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

front tow point

Guys has anyone made a front tow point with a reciever the same as the rear towbar.pics would be great the reason being I dont have a lot of faith in the standard hook setup and my son is rough on the gear.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Guys has anyone made a front tow point with a reciever the same as the rear towbar.pics would be great the reason being I dont have a lot of faith in the standard hook setup and my son is rough on the gear.

Here’s what I’ve got for front and rear recovery points.

Personally, I wouldn’t be hitching up to anybody or wouldn’t let them be hitching up to me with that configuration.

I’ve heard they were originally designed as tie down points. I don’t know how true it is, but I’ve seen some bent ones.

Here’s what I bought from a shop. They are fitted to the front left and right hand side of my vehicle.

Safety should be the first priority.

Having said all that, I don’t have the knowledge to make my own.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 23rd December 2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (23rd December 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday,

$20.00 from Supercheap Auto http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...42#Description

Cheers,

Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks rosco do you have faith in the cross beares in the front not to pull the chassis rails in as ive seen this happen twice now 1xtoyota pulled by unimog 1xf100 4x4 pulled by d6 both in quick sand in the finke river .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks rosco do you have faith in the cross beares in the front not to pull the chassis rails in as ive seen this happen twice now 1xtoyota pulled by unimog 1xf100 4x4 pulled by d6 both in quick sand in the finke river .
    To be honest, my GU has never had the privledge of being towed by my front recovery points......yet.... Dogman is itching to do it.

I'm not a 4wd expert or instructor, but from what I've seen and heard, I'll be giving my recoverer clear and concise instructions to 'snatch me out GENTLY - not take off flat out and trying to rip the guts out of my undercarriage.

There's an excellent vid on here, somewhere, about snatching gently.

If my only help was from a person I know to be 'rough', I'd be doing everything in my power to work out my options and use them as a last resort.

If your son is rough with the gear, I hope he pays for the replacements?

I'd suggest he does an accredited 4wd techniques and recovery course. That way he'll learn a bit more about his and his vehicles' capabilities and learn about 'vehicle sympathy.' He might learn a thing or two about passenger comfort, in the process. I just shake my head every time I see a Yota add on TV. Far out!!!

Quite often kids won't listen to their parents, so if you know a mutual, trusted friend, who is up to date with techniques and recoveries, they may be able to give your son a few pointers.

Your youngin won't be ripping my engine from its block!!! lol

Take care and all the best.

Rossco

Edit: I've hit a cattle grid on a dirt road at 110kmh and saw stars after my head hit the roof. Haven't done it since. lol
    Last edited by DX grunt; 23rd December 2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad chopped down that money tree on the 1st day he was a appentice but he loves his piging and playing in the mud . It costs him a fortune to run and maintain which is good no money or interest in drugs. He mainly comes unstuck in mud (hung up on diffs 32 bfg muds)but is pretty good in sand hills and rough terrain hes been drivng four wheels since he was 5.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad chopped down that money tree on the 1st day he was a appentice but he loves his piging and playing in the mud . It costs him a fortune to run and maintain which is good no money or interest in drugs. He mainly comes unstuck in mud (hung up on diffs 32 bfg muds)but is pretty good in sand hills and rough terrain hes been drivng four wheels since he was 5.
    I love it when young blokes have purpose and vision. It's really encouraging.

You could start by buying him a hand winch (turfor) and when he's a good boy and learns to respect his beast, buy him a leckie winch - after his rated recovery points. lol hahahaha

Rossco

Edit: Or, buy him some heat resistant inner tubes so he can put them under his truck, inflate them and 'float it ' out.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol he's already got my hilift and chains maybe i should loosen that great lsd in the back so he cant get so far in the carkcar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I did

DSC002415694.JPG DSC002415693.JPG

Putting a HR reciever in the front sounds a lot more difficult
    GU1 Auto ST4500 lpg/petrol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twisty For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (23rd December 2011)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    consider using a bridle to spread the load to both chassis rails, would be my tip.

And buy a low rated snatch strap - better to bust a strap than have a strong strap fire a chunk of metal at the other vehicle :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (23rd December 2011), twisty (23rd December 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast