Thread: RD28t upgrades?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD28t upgrades?

g'day
    i have a 96 GQ patrol with an RD28T engine in it which i have just rebuilt, wound the boost and the fuel up, is there any other upgrages possible that would give this lil engine some more grunt?
    and is there anywhere to got an air box wich i can attach a snorkle to?

1996 GQ patrol with RD28T running 13 PSI fully rebuilt, over fueld 2inch coil spacers.

cheers
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate

Someone will be along to assist no doubt, however slip over to the introductions section and post up a bit about yourself and the rig - something we ask for, and no harm done but lets people know who they're yakking with etc.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyRenny View Post
    g'day
    i have a 96 GQ patrol with an RD28T engine in it which i have just rebuilt, wound the boost and the fuel up, is there any other upgrages possible that would give this lil engine some more grunt?
    and is there anywhere to got an air box wich i can attach a snorkle to?

1996 GQ patrol with RD28T running 13 PSI fully rebuilt, over fueld 2inch coil spacers.

cheers
    Ben
    Hi Benny,

Jump on over to the "introductions" stand and tell us all about yourself and say G'day. We like to meet new friends.

I have the 97 model RD28T and find it has plent of power for what we want to do. OK. It wont tow a 40ft caravan, but, get it into low range and it shows up a lot of the competition (Especialy yotas.... hahaha)

Safari make a snorkel kit for the RD28T that does not require an airbox replacment. It uses the original one. (I'm getting one next year if Im a good boy) Here is the link to the specs http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss14hf/ss14hf.htm

Cheers,

Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers yer need to get my beast tuned befor i put a snorket, gotta save my pennies too hahah

has any one had any trouble with starting when hot?
    i think my lift pump might be leaking and letting air into the system when it hot (due to expanding parts) but not too sure yet something i might have to look further into

cheers

Ben
    Fully rebuilt and bored out 40 thou each cylinder, GQ RD28t @ 13PSI and over fueled.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey BennyRenny,

I chucked a 2.5" hi flow mandrel bent exhaust on mine from the turbo dump pipe back. This made a noticable difference immediately to the power, I am led to believe that it helps the turbo "breathe" better.(this is what I was told, not to sure of the tech/physics behind it!) Some people I spoke to initially about the exhaust upgrade did mention going to a 3" but I had it on good authority that anything bigger than a 2.5" on the 2.8 motor may cause power issues. Something to do with back pressure or something.

I also have a safari snorkel, and safari airbox with a K & N filter in it, which I had fitted not long after I bought it 8 or so years ago, but that also seemed to make a slight difference(I don't have any dyno figures or anything to back it up) it just felt a little more grunty. Some people are dead against the K & N's but in my humble opinion, if you maintain it and keep it oiled properly you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps a bit!
    95 GQ RX RD28T LWB Wagon and stuff. www.levelsevenband.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben,
    Who gave you the idea of running 13 PSI, i've just fully rebuilt my engine and after its long maiden voyage i will probably screw the boost up a little, the highest it got was 8PSI, cruises around 6-7psi, i'll probably only go to 10 psi though.

Hot start problem may be the pump timing problem, simple fix, read this thread with the same problem http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...light=starting

Shaun...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by White Elephant View Post

I chucked a 2.5" hi flow mandrel bent exhaust on mine from the turbo dump pipe back. This made a noticable difference immediately to the power, I am led to believe that it helps the turbo "breathe" better.(this is what I was told, not to sure of the tech/physics behind it!) Some people I spoke to initially about the exhaust upgrade did mention going to a 3" but I had it on good authority that anything bigger than a 2.5" on the 2.8 motor may cause power issues. Something to do with back pressure or something.
    I was under the impression that turbo motors did not need back pressure, at least that is what the Scooby riders are saying. I have heard that NA (petrol) motors need back pressure and going over 2,5" in a motor around 3-5L is not good for them.

I would like to hear someone chime in on this since I might be doing my exhaust in not so distant future.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mines sitting on about 12psi at 110 now making it quite thirsty again

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GU 2.8TD sits at 12psi on my boost guage.....occasionally get an audible warning that its trying to over-boost when I am revving the guts out of it.

Yeah it is a thirsty bugger, but running roughly same fuel figures as the Grand Carnival on petrol. (14-15LPH around town....both down to around 10.5 on highway)
    2 big cars, the fuel cost is to be expected.....and its only gunna get worse with fuel prices.

Edit----the fuel injector-pump spacer would be my first guess, with the hot start issue.
    Available from Nissan reasonably cheaply,I have been told.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mods I did to my 2.8td..

3" exhaust
    Diesel Chip
    Blocked EGR
    Removed intercooler butterfly
    Boost 12-13psi
    New air filter

Out of everything, boost, exhaust and chip will give you the biggest improvement in power.

You could go further and buy a ball bearing turbo, better intercooler & scoop from A.R.E and possible wind up the boost some more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast