Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Chassis Tower Brace design

Hey guys,
    For the guys that don't know me, my name is Greg and i do engineering consulting and design work for the automotive industry. My passion is for nissan stuff! Ages ago I asked the question as to what stuff all my mates (and public) wanted designed/developed. One of the big things i got asked for was to develop a bolt on spring tower brace for GU's to help stop the chassis cracking. Well after 18 months of designs, revisions and load testing , then patiently waiting for patent approval (P-PN# 2011 904 187) , they are now ready for full production.
    They are designed so they can be bolted into standard vehicles even ones with ABS. The design allows redistribution of the loaded force forward and down - into the large main upper link crossmember and also some of the residual force back and into the rear chassis / tank cross tube. Both connection points have adjustable tensioner's which can accomodate chassis's which may have already suffered (non-fatal) deformation.
    OK so they might not allow you to raise your GVM by 10 ton, but they will definately help stop that fatigue loading and tearing that we are all to familiar with and the added benefit is they can be fitted by anyone with a few basic spanners and a bit of patience! As we all know - DAMN its tight under there! sometimes i wish i had a 2nd wrist...

Anyway, here are some teaser pics!

any ideas or thoughts please let me know!
    cheers
    Greg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1MadEngineer For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (16th December 2011), GUtsy ute (26th December 2011), MudRunnerTD (16th December 2011), patch697 (16th December 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome i am prepared to provide a test vehicle

They look Top notch mate, Good luck with your patent.

Big Question?? How much $$?

Very interested.

****** Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum, please drop over to the intro section and post up some details about yourself. People like to say Hello here.

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Awesome i am prepared to provide a test vehicle

They look Top notch mate, Good luck with your patent.

Very interested.

****** Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum, please drop over to the intro section and post up some details about yourself. People like to say Hello here.

Cheers MR
    cheers MR,
    Firstly Hi, I have been lurking here since it first came online and i know quite a few members. FYI i am 1 half of www.teamdgr.com

Yeah patent stuff is all sorted now, i had to bite my tongue for quite a while....
    Price wise, you would have to talk to superior engineering about that, I only do the contract design work on this sort of stuff.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.. Great work with the design, I have been looking at reinforcing my spring towers so this may help with my choice.
    Good to have another Nissan enthusiast aboard the forum

Fletcha
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MadEngineer View Post
    cheers MR,
    Firstly Hi, I have been lurking here since it first came online and i know quite a few members. FYI i am 1 half of www.teamdgr.com

Yeah patent stuff is all sorted now, i had to bite my tongue for quite a while....
    Price wise, you would have to talk to superior engineering about that, I only do the contract design work on this sort of stuff.
    Yeah good stuff, I figured you might be, I recognized your handle from outers I reckon. Good bunch of guys here mate and no real head cases. Obviously that excludes Patch but we all live with him.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 16th December 2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

patch697 (16th December 2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate first off I'd not put much stock into anything MR says!!!!

Right, now thats out the way (hahahaha) welcome aboard & when you get a chance drop into our intro section & give us a bit of a rundown of yourself.

These braces you've designed address a common issue & generally an expensive one to get sorted so im tipping these will go right off when they officially hit the market.

Has any thought gone into a GQ setup in these yet? As I think prevention is the key & the GQ has been known to rip out the odd spring mount as well.

BTW.... Love your work mate.

Cheers
    Paul

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very tidy. But, have to ask, what makes your design better than what is available already?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome 2 the forum Greg

I don't know about all these Toyota lovers taking over this forum....... *L*

Great work on the design, You should get the boyz from superior engineering 2 set up a vendor thread on here

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrhind View Post
    You should get the boyz from superior engineering 2 set up a vendor thread on here

Cheers

Todd
    I already asked them & they weren't that interested.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (26th December 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MadEngineer View Post
    Price wise, you would have to talk to superior engineering about that
    Just $425 here
    GU1 Auto ST4500 lpg/petrol.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twisty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (27th December 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (26th December 2011), patch697 (27th December 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast