Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread to REMINISCE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thread to REMINISCE

i had a bit of a laught today with one of the riggers on site and thought it would be a great topic for on here and maybe bring a few smiles!!!

we were talking about how much technology had changed and simplified our lives (and we are both only 36 so we are not that far away from growing up with it compared to some) and this brought some laughs...

here is a couple of topics we came up with...

Mobile phones!!
    firstly like most we used to walk, ride our bikes down to the local phone and hope it had not been vandalised to ring our friends no matter what the weather and then have to deal with their parents answering phones and wanting to know why we were ringing them.

Camera's
    and another was the cameras with film that needed developing, so often we would buy a 24 or 36 exposure, after taking all the pics (sometimes over a few months) then go to the camera shop to get them developed to find out sometimes only 4 or 5 worked and never the ones we wanted, the amount of out of focus, heads cut off pictures!!!

i am interested in other stories where technology has changed your life...for better or worse

happy writing or reading

Scotty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was discussing this with a mate just recently post watching a show on it ... the essence was "is anything ever truly a new idea".

Here's the example they used:

Isn't it awesome how many apps are available on the iPhone etc to do random tasks for us ... like an alarm clock (none of us had one of them before) to wake us up, and of course there's games - on a tiny 2" screen with no controls, and don't forget the ability to carry music around with us (just like a walkman, but more expensive, more theft attractive, and more detrimental if lost/broken due to containing all our worldly networks on it), and not to mention things like being able to order a pizza via an app on the phone that you have to type into rather than talk - how awesome is that???!!! Pick up the phone and you can order a pizza!!! Who would have ever thought it?? Truly amazing stuff!!!! lmao

Not quite what you're after, but similar concept - we find technology 'funky' but once the hype cycle dies off on each new advancement, we quickly realise its not a 'technological advancement' as much as an 'alternative' to the methods already tried and trusted!! The marketing obviously works though - just ask the owners of Apple, Microsoft, etc!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering how would it like to be without the internet these days. How are we going to even know how to fix our troll..??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see!!! just reading these already brings a small chuckle.... all so true!!!!

Scotty

p.s and as for the size of the mobile phones we would happily carry around... "the bricks"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah..am smiling to the computer and missus asking why was I..?? hehehehe...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am struggling here guys, I remember the old 286 computers at school and how we used to play 'Where in the world in Carmen Santiago', I had my first mobile phone when I was 15, I don't remember a world without internet or ever using a phone box. However I have learnt to apprechiate that I was lucky enough to grow up with these things. My mother often tells me how she did not get black and white TV until she was late teens (I don't remember telly being anything but colour).
    However I do remember sitting around a cassette player with my friends recording ourselves which is now hard to do with CD's. I do remember film for the camera however have used digital most of my life.
    A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I barely touch a computer until I was 26..hahahaha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never really in to this internet things, not until I own Nissans especially the Safari

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find it hilarious that the most popular ring tone on an iPhone4 is the "Old Phone" LMAO, It drives me nuts that every man and his dog reckons is the most pleasing tone, i should find a different tone, every time i hear it is watch as everyone checks their own phone. lol
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I remeber having to learn how to sew a badge on my own scout scout uniform by hand, wash the uniform by hand, was aloowed to iron it with electri iron though. Put up a teht that could sleep ten kids using canvass tent, three poles, two lashing hemp ropes, to hemp guy ropes and I thinl from memory ten pegs belted in with a steel hammer.

Boiled a billy of tea at the age of 13, geez could actually collect and chop firewood so i could build the fire to start with. And knew how to clear around it to prevent grass from catching on fire. Could cook brekky and dinner on it.

I was a poor kid,sheesh still am, but anyway, had "grand prix" slot car track not the "scale electrix", had a hand me down haminex tv game not an Atari, and remember writing a program on the apple computer at high school to create a price list, now called a "table".

When all the kids had "redlines" I had a friggin motorcross push bike, as heavy as with front suspension forks (motorbike style) motor bike type handle bars and coil spring over shockie suspension mid mounted in the frame. Didn't fly real far! But I grew up with my feet planted on the ground and my nose smelling the real life, not with my head up...............!

And these days, I'm probably in the middle of the modern technology world, I don't buy the latest new gadgets, but I do watch the process of them and get something I've researched and am happy with about two years after it was released.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

gruntlet (6th December 2011), Woof (7th December 2011)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast