Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Only 2 Maxtrax

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 2 Maxtrax

Hey Guys, want to get some maxtrax for a bit of sand driving this summer but budget will only stretch to one pair. My question is are they effective on only 2 wheels or should I not bother if I can't get 4. Also if 2 wheels will do what is better... front or rear. Thanks Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will find that most people have and need only one set Dan, when I have used mine I used them at the front wheels and drove straight out and over them....but it still depends on the circumstances.
    Tyre pressure mate, just make sure that you lower the pressure before going on any sand and just take off very slowly when using them.

Just go here and find out all about them http://www.maxtrax.com.au/
    Last edited by Woof; 4th December 2011 at 08:15 PM.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

NewDan (5th December 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know anybody with a set, so you can practice ? Like Wayne said- tyre pressure is critical on sand. I never go on sand alone - unless I know help is within a uhf radio call. I have a set and skinny tyra and haven't been stick yet.

Rossco

Ps. Forgot to say that I have a set too
    Last edited by gruntlet; 4th December 2011 at 08:56 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gruntlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spend some sweat and make sure your diff pumpkins are clear, your not bellied up etc
    Going back put them under the rear, going forward put them under the front
    Don't put them cross axle (1 front, 1 rear) unless you are fully locked or know what you are doing
    Gentle, confident application of power, the Maxi's may move a bit initially and you don't want to break traction and spin up

IMHO they are an excellent self help device altho the price is a bit uuummmm steep? Maxi's and a long handled shovel will get you out of a lot of problems
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

gruntlet (5th December 2011), NewDan (5th December 2011), patch697 (4th December 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatly we will be travelling alone but in a place where someone comes by every 20 minutes or so. Plan with pressures in to start at maybe 16/18 psi and go down from there if required. My tyres are 275/70/16 with a highway type tread on them ( can't change them at the moment) and I'll have a pair of Maxtrax, long handled shovel, snatch strap UHF... if it gets too soft may shy away and stick to the easier stuff till I get a bit more experience. Thanks for your help guys. Dan

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewDan View Post
    Unfortunatly we will be travelling alone but in a place where someone comes by every 20 minutes or so. Plan with pressures in to start at maybe 16/18 psi and go down from there if required. My tyres are 275/70/16 with a highway type tread on them ( can't change them at the moment) and I'll have a pair of Maxtrax, long handled shovel, snatch strap UHF... if it gets too soft may shy away and stick to the easier stuff till I get a bit more experience. Thanks for your help guys. Dan
    Great stuff.

Know the terrain,know your vehicle and a capabilities,and know your own capabilities. I'M reasonably knew to 4wd'ing and use the principle of "if in doubt, don't go". I always wear my seat belt. You never know who or what is coming around the corner. Enjoy.

Take care out there.

Rossco

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gruntlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 if in doubt dont go,if it looks to steep for you it probably is
    the best and safest way is to know your limits

cheers

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

gruntlet (5th December 2011), NewDan (5th December 2011)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think others may have a different view, but my experience is highway pattern tyres are a good choice for sand compared with more aggressive patterns.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

NewDan (6th December 2011), patch697 (5th December 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I think others may have a different view, but my experience is highway pattern tyres are a good choice for sand compared with more aggressive patterns.
    I've got muddies and with every level of respect, tyre pressure and momentum are more important than tyre pattern IMHO. I drop to around 16-18 pounds and have never been bogged on sand (have done Fraser, Stradbroke, Moreton and Bribie islands and Inskip Point, Cooloola/Teewah etc etc).

When stopping let the sand pull you up where possible on soft sand rather than heavy braking (so you don't bury in), reverse back through your tracks when you take off if in doubt of how soft it is and whether you can go forwards, stop facing 'down' or 'up' the beach rather than flat/level along the length of the beach to let gravity do its thing where possible, keep steady momentum (4 high - others will have differing opinions on this, but I rarely if ever use 4L on sand), etc, etc, and bobs your uncle!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

NewDan (6th December 2011), patch697 (5th December 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have 2 and i have never felt like i needed a second pair.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dw86 For This Useful Post:

NewDan (6th December 2011)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast