OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patrol bought - user now insecure due to permanent empty wallet.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 120 ltr long range is the go plus the existing tank plus your jerrys you'll need mate

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange that no one said "BEST DEAL EVRRRRRRR" yet because that was what the guy I was buying it from was telling me...that he could have easily sold it for 9.5...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, maybe I forgot to mention WA rego...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you did get a great deal. But what we say may have no effect on your feelings. Yes big truck like vehicles are heavy on fuel, petrol ones are just a tad more so. If you drive without heavy acceleration, that will save you some fuel. The three jerry cans could certainly be a cheap alternative to a long range tank, but at the cost of losing some storage room. If you want something strong and reliable, you've got it!

Go to sleep, think of how many places you can now traverse with confidence, soft sandy desert, muddy tracks, some water crossings, bush tracks, bitumen. You can cook your own meals, sleep highoff the ground in safe dry and comfort.

But you could sell all of that and buy a little fuel economical car that will let stay on the bitumen, have nowhere for extra fuel, be a struggke everytime you want to set up cooking needs, and repack tent into a cramped boot/trunk and rear seat.

Be a shame to miss all that our great country has to offer, because of a worry about a little more on fuel,

Just my thoughts, Raw and Honest. Hoping it offers a different angle to view your quandry.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

Dhuck (3rd December 2011), harry-potzer (2nd December 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    I think 120 ltr long range is the go plus the existing tank plus your jerrys you'll need mate
    maybe not "real"...there's nothing there really worth travelling weeks...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually want to thank you very much for that post...maybe I'll just pick 2-3 avocados more than I would with a Toyota Hiace and therefore see the sun going up at really special places.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ What He Said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 jerries takes up a bit of space in the cargo area - I know from personal experience, and I also have a cargo barrier to help keep them there in case of accident.

You can do the outback on a pushbike. You can do a huge range of bits and pieces in a 2wd too. But I'd suggest you'll get to some more interesting places with the Patrol for example Fraser Island off Qld etc. The journey can be as important as the destination.

If you decide to sell it when you finish touring you will probably do ok on resale.

My suggestion? Stop worrying and second guessing, and start travelling :-) And look for that book - it is Brian Sheedy's Outback Australia on a Budget - mine is the 2nd edition and you should be able to find it second hand, don't know about new.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (3rd December 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...I thought it over and had a good deep sleep tonight.

Our decision now is to keep the car cause we will have lots of opportunities we wouldn't have with a 2wd campervan. Even if it uses a bit more petrol than we'd prefer and even if there are some rusty spots it is still better than a damn campervan half as old with nearly the same mileage that has only been owned by backpackers, is fully rotten and will probably break down if we are more than 200kms away from a town.

I even thought about investing a bit into the car and get an auxiliary tank or even a bigger main tank - though the prices are really high on those, we'll see.

I have looked up the book on the internet and found "Centre on a Budget" by Sheedy here http://bit.ly/sxX4zM and "Outback on a Budget" here http://bit.ly/vDMHny...get both?!?!?!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    The "real" outback is far more beautiful than people who've never been there would imagine.
    Problem is that I'll need a long range fuel tank then...because I don't think that there are petrol stations every 400km are they?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast