Thread: Ask all your general ( none related forum ) computer questions here

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Thanks for your help mate, I'll read through this again tonight when I get home and let you know....

Its the wireless that is causing issues. PC plugged directly in to the modem is trouble free!!!
    ok could be a driver issue with your computer, perhaps the modem needs a firmaware upgrade, but we can go through a few things and change some settings im sure i can sort ya out mate
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

AB (23rd April 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's an old clunky xp too...lol....I desperately need a new computer!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    gimme a call tonight, i can probably help you out with that if you are after a computer.

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like time for an Apple? (Waits for the rocks to be thrown now!).

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lorrieandjas For This Useful Post:

Bob (23rd April 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    hi mate,

sorry i didnt get onto this last night but i was at a party. and im sorry if some things have already been explained BUT sounds like your describing a mix of two problems here your saying your internet is hanging but think its your wireless? is your internet hanging, or is the wifi dropping out? im sure you know these things but:

if telstra have given you a static IP adress that has nothing to do with your local network. arp -a only shows you your local IP adress, thats the IP of the computer. however that IP is just the IP within your local network(so from the modem down). the static IP telstra have given you is the modems IP adress on the telstra network. my computers IP on the NSWDET is 10.17.221.232, this is dynamically assigned be the DHCP(thing that hands out IP adresses). however the departments Ip on the WWW is 153.107.33.155 and that im fairly certain is static(it doesnt matter but i hope you get my point).

SO! you also mentioned that you may have needed to install a driver for you modem, do you think that because the modem came with a CD? usually the CD contains a utility which gives you a simple interface to talk to the modem, however you dont need it! to access your modem goto command prompt and enter ipconfig, a whole heap of info will come up but what your looking for is the default gateway. this is the adress of your modem on your local network(LAN) typically it will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but i think telstra routers are set to use the 10.0.0.1 IP range.

bear with me, ill get to it in a sec, just helping you understand.

IF your problem is with the wireless, you will be able to fix the problem by doing the following:

to check if your modem is configured properly goto your internet browser, and in the adress bar(where you would put nissanpatrol.com.au usually =P) type the default gateway adress in(remember 192.168.0.1 or what ever it is). from there you can change things like the wifi connection type, from G to N, or the channel if your router is only a G type router. also check your device has the correct user creds on the connection page.

BUT if wifi is not your issue you may want to expore some other possibilities:

1. do you have a line filter on your modem? if yes is it faulty? if no definately get one!

2. plug your house phone into the wall directly, is there static on the line? if so telstra need to investigate faulty wiring to your house.

apart from that i would be happy to go through other more complicated troubleshooting methods on the phone with you if you like. shoot me a PM with your number and ill give you a call and sort it out for you.
    Hi mate - for what it's worth (and you've given AB the command to find his default gateway) Telstra uses weird random addresses for their gateway - mine for example is 192.168.1.68??? The issue may well be related to 802.11n be set as default - I have seen this as an issue many times particularly with iPhones and older PCs.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieandjas View Post
    Sounds like time for an Apple? (Waits for the rocks to be thrown now!).

Jas
    Apple shmapple.....NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

taslucas (23rd April 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieandjas View Post
    Hi mate - for what it's worth (and you've given AB the command to find his default gateway) Telstra uses weird random addresses for their gateway - mine for example is 192.168.1.68??? The issue may well be related to 802.11n be set as default - I have seen this as an issue many times particularly with iPhones and older PCs.

Jas
    precisely!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    bluestacks is just a utility that assists the bluetooth to run.
    Thanks for the bump Clunk

Nic, the Bluestacks I am referring 2 is actually an Android emulator for PC so I can run Mobile Apps for the kids on the PC

http://www.bluestacks.com/

For the time being I have given up trying to get the software 2 work
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Thanks for the bump Clunk

Nic, the Bluestacks I am referring 2 is actually an Android emulator for PC so I can run Mobile Apps for the kids on the PC

http://www.bluestacks.com/

For the time being I have given up trying to get the software 2 work
    Oh ok sorry bud ill look into it some more for ya and see if I can't work it out

Tappin

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is that little eye symbol at the right hand side of the password box when I sign in? It sometimes appears and disappears.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 53 of 176 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast