Thread: Ask all your general ( none related forum ) computer questions here

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    Just to clarify a repair reinstall of windows xp will leave all user files and programs as is but will reset windows.
    I use to do it all the time easy as fix.

Quick google have a read of this https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...howtopic=61918
    I haven't got the cd unfortunately mate

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok I can't help myself..lol

So I have now booted in safe mode and can see all of my files so one would assume my drive is still ok?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Ok I can't help myself..lol

So I have now booted in safe mode and can see all of my files so one would assume my drive is still ok?
    Your files are fine. But it sounds like your boot up sequence protocols are misplaced. i.e: sometimes Windows like to get rid of them for shits and giggles just to watch people freak out. It give Microsoft the chuckles
    2001 GU II - 3.0TD Auto. ARB Bullbar - Runva 11XP Winch - NADed with Boost & EGT gauges - OME 2in Lift - Manta 3in - Dual Battery - Spotties & LED Lightbar - Uniden 80ch UHF - Rear Drawers & Engel Fridge - 3/4 Steel cage Car goes vroom

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jackwalks For This Useful Post:

AB (28th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwalks View Post
    Your files are fine. But it sounds like your boot up sequence protocols are misplaced. i.e: sometimes Windows like to get rid of them for shits and giggles just to watch people freak out. It give Microsoft the chuckles
    That's fine I can deal with that...lol

Thanks mate!

Todd, I can't run check disk..ImageUploadedByMotorculture1382952314.764271.jpgImageUploadedByMotorculture1382952334.886368.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't got the cd unfortunately mate
    That will put a hold on it then. If you know someone that does have a cd then I would still do the backup but then try the reinstall as it will save alot of time.
    "For example, if you killed your grandfather, you'd cease to exist!"
    ―Professor Farnsworth
    "But existing is basically all I do!"
    ―Fry

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's a restore point from 5 days ago, should I try that?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Righto I give up..lol

Can't restore because its found local disk errors and wants to check errors but you can only schedule error checking on next start up which will fail... Lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fine I can deal with that...lol

Thanks mate!

Todd, I can't run check disk..ImageUploadedByMotorculture1382952314.764271.jpgImageUploadedByMotorculture1382952334.886368.jpg
    That is Microsoft having fun. You will need/ better off doing a fresh format and install, preferably with a new HDD, and transfer only after the new install is stable.

Good luck. Bash burn bury is still the preferred option for most fixes
    2001 GU II - 3.0TD Auto. ARB Bullbar - Runva 11XP Winch - NADed with Boost & EGT gauges - OME 2in Lift - Manta 3in - Dual Battery - Spotties & LED Lightbar - Uniden 80ch UHF - Rear Drawers & Engel Fridge - 3/4 Steel cage Car goes vroom

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jackwalks For This Useful Post:

AB (28th October 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

For Lucas, I would strongly advise against using HP restore. While it does restore your laptop it also fills your hard drive with all the unnecessary crap that HP want you to use. What I would do and do for all my laptops and pc's, BA knows how many I got,

• get all the drivers from the HP website for your laptop, unzip them if they are zip files and put them onto a USB stick.

• Then grab copy of your chosen O/s, put it in your laptop, reboot and reload fresh.
    • Then just put the drivers in for the LAN, USB, touchpad, graphics, wireless card, chipset drivers etc etc.
    • Then do an Windose update, put your favorite A/v on, not Norton for the love of god
    • Then load on your favorite browser, email program (don't forget to back up your email data too) and Micro$oft Office program
    • Download the latest is Adode Reader, Flash player plugin etc etc

For Andy.
    Sounds like your graphics driver is foobar from the sudden shut down. Because you can get into safe mode its a software issue. No biggie. Many things to try, uninstalling the graphics drive when in safe mode, reboot and reload the driver. The screen will be all out of wack with no drivers but its manageable to surf the net to find the driver if you don't already have it.
    Boot into safe mode and you should get an option to boot to the last known good configuration, or something along the lines of that. Try this. Or....

Boot into Safe mode, click start > My Computer > Right click on your primary drive C: it usually is > click properties > click tools in the upper tab > clcik check now under error checking > select "Automatically fix file system errors" It will then say it wants to do this check upon the next restart etc etc, select yes and then restart.

Or

Boot into safe mode again, once in Windose, Select the Run tab, type in cmd. This will bring up a black screen. If your O/s is loaded onto the C: drive type in chkdsk /f. The /f is the command to find and fix file system errors, if you type /r instead of f this command will find and fix file system errors but also scan for and try to recover bad sectors on the hard drive.

Both options here do the same thing but in different ways.

Something I always used to push onto my customers is back, back backup! Get yourself a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or even a portable hard drive and back the shit up!!!!.
    Cloud storage is great for important files etc, I use dropbox, to back up my emails and other files. Free accounts for up to around 50GB are available. Plus you can have dropbox on your smart phone too and when you take a pic anywhere, you can upload it to drop box on your phone, then when you get home you can see the pic on your computer without plugging a cable in.
    Business stuff goes onto my NAS ( and onto a portable drive kept off site) which holds 6 x 2TB drives, it uses only five and the sixth one just sits there and if one drive goes south the sixth will take over the foobar drive and then email me if this happens.
    Every laptop and pc I have I keep all the drivers on the NAS, all Windose Discs, Micro$soft dics, anything I have created image files and store them on my NAS.

But as for your issue. It will be a driver issue I reckon if you can get into safe mode fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

AB (28th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto I give up..lol

Can't restore because its found local disk errors and wants to check errors but you can only schedule error checking on next start up which will fail... Lol
    I'm not a fan of system restore or repair, MS failed big time on both.

At what point are you running chkdsk? So by the sound of it you can boot up in safe mode and windows loads up so yes your data files should be fine.

If you can safe boot with networking and have internet access just download Windows XP black edition and re install windows
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 68 of 176 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast