Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Robbo Clan Wagon

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats looks pretty sweet with the cover on top mate, nice one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey robbo, looks good, I just got a grande as well in the promo deal they just had so its good to know they work well, mine turned up yesterday.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday,

managed, with the greatly appreciated assistance of BigMav, to get a Suspension Stuff 2" Flexicoil and Monotube shock kit installed into the Clan Wagon, this week.
    2" lift, 4 inches of travel.

Great kit, came with the brake bias bracket, extended diff breather, rear brake line, and sway bar extension brackets. Payed extra for the bigger rear bumpstops.

Currently running the original OEM Nissan shocks on the front, as Suspension Stuff is having supply issues, but I am happy to wait as they appear to be a great shocky.

It was a pretty easy install, but not as enjoyable as normal as we were rushing due to work commitments.....but all in all, it took about 4 and a half hours.

I took measurements of how far the vehicle lifted, but left my notebook at work...its approximately 80mm per corner....thats how far the original suspension has sagged since 1999, and 220 thousand kms of travel.

Need an alignment to confirm its tracking ok.....only managed to check travel with a jack at home so far, but once new front 4" Monotubes are in will be heading back to Glasshouse for a play.

pics attached

cheers
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good mate, massive improvement from before that's for sure. I look forward to seeing how it goes once you get those front shocks in. Good luck getting that passenger side shock out when you get em

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cordless grinder and cut-off disc, mate......problem solved! haha.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, finally found my bloody notebook and have the before and after measurements of the lift.

Before and After
    FR 745mm/ 824mm
    FL 765mm/ 825mm
    RL 760mm/ 847mm
    RR 730mm/ 820mm

So it got rid of the big "lean" towards the drivers side, squared of the ride and gave a heap more clearance, as well as 4 inches of travel. Have decided to leave the front and rear sway bars in for legalities and insurance.

Just need those front shocks......!

Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just read this build right from the start, great work mate and your family will absolutely love it for the next decade! nothing over the top about your ride either which is good to see, proves you can get an awesome rig on a budget!

Keep it up mate!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate.
    Definitely had enough of heavily modded and illegal/ uninsurable vehicles.
    Need to carry the family safely and legally for as long as the Patrol can last.... But have some fun at the same time!
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up and swapped out the front shocks today, picture is of the OEM shock on the left, Suspension Stuff monotube on the right.

Pretty easy install, thank god for my Stilson pipe wrench and ratcheting ring spanners though.

Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while with the updates, busy as normal with the kids and work.

To start off...I hope the photos work, internet is stuffed after recent storms in Brisvegas, and I cant work bloody I Tunes at all. (EDIT these are no longer in order,internet is stuffed and I have given up)

A list of mods completed since my last post are...

1. Purchased an offroad trailer made out of a fully galvanised land rover tub, 21 years old no rust at all.
    Carries all the gear we need to hit the beach with 6 people in the Patrol.
    Whacked a 100AH deep cycle in it, and run a 40L Waeco I picked up for 200 bucks (minor repairs needed, easy fix)
    All fits in the front tool box area on the draw bar. Use a DC/DC charger in the trailer, via an anderson plug on car to charge the battery whilst on the move.
    Fitted 3 of my left-over original 267/75/16 tyres from the Patrol, so the trailer sits level with the Patrol and tracks well.

2. Fitted a DCM 4x4 Custom rear door diner and small door replacement stainless trim. My toolbox kept smashing the hell outta my rear doors, so hopefully stainless will wear a bit better.

3. Fitted a cheap 7 inch DVD/GPS etc etc screen with reverse camera, mounted reverse camera inside rear small barn door at the top. Not the best picture because of glare, but it does the job.
    4. Changed 50mm ball hitch to a Treg hitch on car and trailer, get more offroad travel and dont have to worry about the trailer popping of.
    5. Did the hidden glove box mod....great place to keep all the winch controllers and National Park passes etc.
    6. Cleaned the hell outta the underbody, and applied a heap of 3M body deadener with an air gun. (thank Christ I have access to a pit facility)

7. Upgraded battery to a 770CCA for the winch. The other one was 500CCA and carked it after heavy use.
    8. Installed a rear tyre carrier on the MCC bar, the 33 inch spare was sagging my door. No cracks in doors, but was definitely wearing down the hinges.
    9. Put the number plate on some steel sheet with 3 hinges, in front of the winch. Tucks it away nicely and also keep the mud out.
    10. Finally lifted my carport, can easily drive in and out with the roof racks on, about 500mm of clearance now. Didnt even blow away in the recent storm,so was happy with that.

Hopefully heaps of pics, in no order whatsoever...

Been to Bribie pretty much every second weekend with The Clan, been stuck once and snatched by a nice bloke in a Cruiser ute....have also winched out around 15 vehicles in 3 months.
    Its crazy up there, specially over Christmas and with big tides and storms.
    Been to Glasshouse heaps....winch, tyres and lift all work well. Nothing insane, but keeps me and the kids happy.

Sorry...the internet is rooted here soI am calling it quits...hope ya enjoy.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to robbo0001 For This Useful Post:

Lonicus (3rd February 2013)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast